U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 05:58 PM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
thanks
You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 07:19 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,073,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Absolutely, and that's where my comments are really directed. The OP listed the "eat in" areas of the supermarket as one of the most important things that made it "better" than our local offerings. I'm of the mind that to most grocery shoppers that is a non-issue. Price and selection are FAR more important factors of what make a grocery store "good" for me.
Trust me, I come from a city where Wegmans has it's second highest penetration, and I would barely go in. It's a nice place to work at, and if you don't mind wandering around with money to burn, but the selection at Wegmans is terrrrible, because they devote so much space to things such as cafe's ect. I just came to Charlotte, and can honestly tell you that Harris Teeter and Lowes both blow it away, and I even prefer Bi-lo to Wegmans.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:17 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Trust me, I come from a city where Wegmans has it's second highest penetration, and I would barely go in. It's a nice place to work at, and if you don't mind wandering around with money to burn, but the selection at Wegmans is terrrrible, because they devote so much space to things such as cafe's ect. I just came to Charlotte, and can honestly tell you that Harris Teeter and Lowes both blow it away, and I even prefer Bi-lo to Wegmans.
Yay, finally, a newcomer who admits the truth

I love Harris Teeter too

Old 08-24-2010, 04:20 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,395,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yay, finally, a newcomer who admits the truth

I love Harris Teeter too

I have not been shopping yet, but definitely going to try Harris Teeters.

Last edited by BLUEDIAMOND64; 08-24-2010 at 04:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 AM

8,779 posts, read 7,960,459 times
Honestly, I find HTs to be a bit overpriced. However, if you go on one of their coupon days, you'll do well.

The nicest grocery store I've ever been to in CLT, in my opinion, is the Lowe's Foods out on WT Harris between 77 and Sugar Creek(I think?). We lived right up the road from that store for the first month we were down here.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:40 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,653,718 times
FYI -hooligan there is a Lowes in Tega Cay right off 160.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 AM

8,779 posts, read 7,960,459 times
Yeah, I've been to that one. It's not as nice as I remember the one on WT Harris being. Their produce section rocked!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:32 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
I have not been shopping yet, but definitely going to try Harris Teeters.
My family always got a laugh when I told them I was headed to the Hairy Teet

Old 08-24-2010, 08:24 AM

21,967 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Lowes Foods in Gastonia is very nice. I go there when I want chicken, because they carry Perdue. I don't like Tyson as well as Perdue, I have tried the various other brands at Ingles, but I just like Perdue a lot more. I've gotten some good buys on iitems at Lowes Foods, on their sale items, but, over all, I do much better using Ingles & Aldi.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:36 AM

4,800 posts, read 6,120,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
I respectfully say that you must be on crack if you think Harris Teeter or Lowes are better than Wegmans. I find that most things at Harris Teeter are over priced by about 20-30% over other stores. I'm talking about same product, not organic versus regular.

I do shop regularly at Lowes, but show me where you can get olive bread or rosemary bread at Lowes bakery or HT's. The last few times I was in PA or VA I stopped at Wegmans (State College, PA and Fredericksburg, VA) just so I could stock up on some of their products. I would compare Wegmans to Whole Foods, but Wegmans is cheaper. Last time I was at Wegmans they were offering samples of some aged California cheddar that was pretty good, and not available locally.

Another thing to consider is that sales tax is pretty high in NC. Sometimes it's worth buying out of state because the price difference is so large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte