Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,376,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Why the need for seating? When I go grocery shopping, I just want to get in and get out in the shortest amount of time possible.
I've gotta agree with this. The closest I've ever come to eating in a grocery store is getting a Starbucks from the in-store coffee shop.

I honestly can't imagine sitting down before/after/during a grocery run to eat lunch or a pastry. Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Remember to untie the dog from the bumper...

Cop: Do you know what the penalty is for animal cruelty in this state?

Clark: No sir I don't.

Cop: Well, it's probably pretty stiff...

Old 08-23-2010, 10:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I've gotta agree with this. The closest I've ever come to eating in a grocery store is getting a Starbucks from the in-store coffee shop.

I honestly can't imagine sitting down before/after/during a grocery run to eat lunch or a pastry. Weird.
Well, it's not my thing, either, but, as I said, employees use the tables, too. I've seen table setups in some places that are truely weird, Ingles' set up is the least weird that I've ever seen.

My best friend from Michigan was here in the spring & she is used to Meijer. She liked the table setup.

I've over-heard people who bump into someone that they know say "Oh, let's go get coffee & talk for a while." This store has a wide drawing area on both sides of the border. A lot of people in Cherokee County SC work in NC & stop off at Ingles on their way home. Truckers who are familiar with Ingles pull off the road & come in to buy food at the deli.

There are only 3 or 4 tables, & I do see people sitting there, alone or with others. I've never seen all of the tables occupied, but they do serve a purpose & are totally out of the way.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:48 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The most import thing about a grocery store is the manager. Good manager=a good grocery store.
My priorities are convenience and availability of what I want. I've found that HT covers those bases for me, so I'm happy to stick with them for the time being. The only item I have been unable to locate at HT was Anise Extract for some cookies I made around the holidays last year (I also looked at Food Lion and Bi-Lo and could not find it at those stores either, so I guess it just is not a common item down here).

And the ability to order on line, pull up in front of the store and have someone walk out, put the bags in my trunk, swipe my card and send me on my way makes shopping a breeze.

As to Wegman's my only experience is at the one in Erie, PA. That opened years ago (in the 80's maybe), and was the first grocery store there to be a bit more modern and not the old-school type of store (I think Loblaws was their primary chain up to that point in that part of the country).

Publix - I have been in a few over the years as I travel to FL a lot for work - but I have generally just stopped in to get a few things if I am there for several days (maybe pick up some soda or a few munchies to keep those per diem expenses down). They look nice - kind of remind me of an HT.

Someone mentioned Bloom. Just saw one here for the first time a few weeks ago - on Carowinds Blvd, just over the line in SC (about a mile or so past Frugal's). May go check it out one of these days.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:49 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:

Now if a grocery store had a proper bar....

Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
My priorities are convenience and availability of what I want. I've found that HT covers those bases for me, so I'm happy to stick with them for the time being. The only item I have been unable to locate at HT was Anise Extract for some cookies I made around the holidays last year (I also looked at Food Lion and Bi-Lo and could not find it at those stores either, so I guess it just is not a common item down here).

And the ability to order on line, pull up in front of the store and have someone walk out, put the bags in my trunk, swipe my card and send me on my way makes shopping a breeze.

As to Wegman's my only experience is at the one in Erie, PA. That opened years ago (in the 80's maybe), and was the first grocery store there to be a bit more modern and not the old-school type of store (I think Loblaws was their primary chain up to that point in that part of the country).

Publix - I have been in a few over the years as I travel to FL a lot for work - but I have generally just stopped in to get a few things if I am there for several days (maybe pick up some soda or a few munchies to keep those per diem expenses down). They look nice - kind of remind me of an HT.

Someone mentioned Bloom. Just saw one here for the first time a few weeks ago - on Carowinds Blvd, just over the line in SC (about a mile or so past Frugal's). May go check it out one of these days.
I've seen Anise Extract at Ingles, but I grabbed a bottle yesterday at Ollies for 99 cents.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, it's not my thing, either, but, as I said, employees use the tables, too. I've seen table setups in some places that are truely weird, Ingles' set up is the least weird that I've ever seen.

My best friend from Michigan was here in the spring & she is used to Meijer. She liked the table setup.

I've over-heard people who bump into someone that they know say "Oh, let's go get coffee & talk for a while." This store has a wide drawing area on both sides of the border. A lot of people in Cherokee County SC work in NC & stop off at Ingles on their way home. Truckers who are familiar with Ingles pull off the road & come in to buy food at the deli.

There are only 3 or 4 tables, & I do see people sitting there, alone or with others. I've never seen all of the tables occupied, but they do serve a purpose & are totally out of the way.
I'm from MI, too, so I'm very familiar with Meijer's. The one I frequented in Lansing had a cafeteria, but that was 90% workers in there eating, not customers.

I'm not saying that there are NO customers that would utilize such facilities, were they present, I'm just saying that to the vast majority of typical grocery shoppers, being able to sit and eat INSIDE the store is a non-issue.

Maybe I'm wrong...

Old 08-23-2010, 11:01 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,653,737 times
Quote:
Reminds me of the laundromat on Sharon Amity years ago, that had a sunken "living room" and bar. I can't remember the name - but I remember being disappointed that "Duds & Suds" wasn't that same setup!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm from MI, too, so I'm very familiar with Meijer's. The one I frequented in Lansing had a cafeteria, but that was 90% workers in there eating, not customers.

I'm not saying that there are NO customers that would utilize such facilities, were they present, I'm just saying that to the vast majority of typical grocery shoppers, being able to sit and eat INSIDE the store is a non-issue.

Maybe I'm wrong...
When I was a kid, I lived in Grand Rapids. My parents mainly shopped at Kroger & Meijer.

I think that 3 or 4 tables are pretty much of a non-isssue. They are there if someone wants to use them. Since the store is just off an exit of 74, truckers do pull off & come in. Sitting at a clean table sure beats the heck out of sitting in the truck cab.

To me, tables in a supermarket are not something that I care about, but a previous poster spoke of a lack of this type of thing in this area. Well, here is a place that does provide a few. I don't know if all Ingles have them or if it was done in this particular supermarket because of the proximity to 74.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Well, my Ingles does sell chilled single bottles of beer, so I guess you could buy one & then sit at a table. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte