Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 9,639 times

Advertisements

New to Charlotte from NoVa and trying, I mean really trying, to find some things..

When I moved here, everyone said go to Harris Teeter, they're the biggest and the best. I went to the one by us at Steelecroft (sp?). Wanted to get some wine, chees and pate for a nice Sunday afternoon thing. The wine selection was really, really limited. The cheeses were all pre-packaged and generally pastuerized American versions of old world cheeses (really, Asiago from Wisconsin?). I asked a sales associate where I could find pate. After I described what it was, she led me to the other side of the store to a display case with liver mush! What? Don't ask about the reaction when I asked for ground buffalo (use it for Chili, it's the BEST!).
I've found now the prices at HT aren't the greatest. There are no bargains to be had unless its a VIC special. No better than the prices we paid at Wegmans, and we watch that stuff closely!
I'm looking for a place with a great bakery with artisan breads, great cheeses, strong wine selection and an actual Butcher counter, not a 6 foot long "case"...
I've been to the Taj Ma-Teeter, but even that isn't close to what a Wegmans has to offer. I guess it's reall one of those "you had to be there" kind of thing.
HT is great for your day to day stuff, but for anything special, you're going to have to overpay at Dean & Deluca.
I think as more and more transplants land here in charlotte, we'll see more varied grocery experiences. Just because HT is top dog here, doesn't mean they're the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 11:30 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,606,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT123 View Post
New to Charlotte from NoVa and trying, I mean really trying, to find some things..

When I moved here, everyone said go to Harris Teeter, they're the biggest and the best. I went to the one by us at Steelecroft (sp?). Wanted to get some wine, chees and pate for a nice Sunday afternoon thing. The wine selection was really, really limited. The cheeses were all pre-packaged and generally pastuerized American versions of old world cheeses (really, Asiago from Wisconsin?). I asked a sales associate where I could find pate. After I described what it was, she led me to the other side of the store to a display case with liver mush! What? Don't ask about the reaction when I asked for ground buffalo (use it for Chili, it's the BEST!).
I've found now the prices at HT aren't the greatest. There are no bargains to be had unless its a VIC special. No better than the prices we paid at Wegmans, and we watch that stuff closely!
I'm looking for a place with a great bakery with artisan breads, great cheeses, strong wine selection and an actual Butcher counter, not a 6 foot long "case"...
I've been to the Taj Ma-Teeter, but even that isn't close to what a Wegmans has to offer. I guess it's reall one of those "you had to be there" kind of thing.
HT is great for your day to day stuff, but for anything special, you're going to have to overpay at Dean & Deluca.
I think as more and more transplants land here in charlotte, we'll see more varied grocery experiences. Just because HT is top dog here, doesn't mean they're the best.
Try Lowes Foods. I think that will work for you.

If you need other things, there are several grocery threads on here. Search for them. It they don't answer your questions, post on one of them.

This is one to get you started. http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...bstitutes.html

Old 12-20-2010, 11:43 AM

15,546 posts, read 11,993,097 times
Quote:

Harris Teeter has all the things you listed... Pate, non-American cheese, buffalo meat... Just because an employee didn't know what you were talking about doesn't mean it doesn't exist there.

Almost all the sales at Harris Teeter will be a VIC special, but then you will find that to be true with all the grocery stores around here (just with whatever program that store has). They're free to get, so its not really that big of a deal. Just go up to customer service, and they'll hand you one, takes about a minute.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM

5 posts, read 9,639 times
Thank you for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'll try heading back to HT, maybe the Taj Ma-Teeter is the place to go.

On a different note, any tips on a good Falafel or Kabob house? I'll check the restuarant threads, too.

thanks! Dan

Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 AM

714 posts, read 2,303,324 times
Dan, you poor thing, you're having to cope with what I did when I moved down here from Reston! I still open this thread hoping beyond hope that there's a Wegman's coming soon.

There's a good Kabob restaurant, I believe called the Kabob Grill in Stonecrest shopping center. Recommended by a friend of mine who lived in Dubai for his teenage years, and the food is definitely worth it.

Oh! And if you're looking for good mediterranean or middle eastern food/groceries, the Sahara market right across the street from Stonecrest shopping center (the same area as the Applebees) has a great selection and a very friendly shop owner.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:56 PM

46 posts, read 105,771 times
Quote:
N

Don't ask about the reaction when I asked for ground buffalo (use it for Chili, it's the BEST!).
I'v.
HT does have ground buffalo. It's frozen in the case by the butcher/seafood counters.

BJ's carries two pound packs of ground buffalo that aren't frozen. I use it for meatloaf

Old 12-22-2010, 05:00 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,909,505 times
The Meat House also has ground buffalo & a variety of other exotic meat.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,993,097 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses! I really appreciate it. I'll try heading back to HT, maybe the Taj Ma-Teeter is the place to go.

Just curious, but which one is the "Taj Ma-Teeter" that you refer to?

Old 12-23-2010, 09:22 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,646,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Just curious, but which one is the "Taj Ma-Teeter" that you refer to?
Taj-ma Teeter is their large store on Morrison Dr., right by SouthPark Mall. I've noticed the Dilworth store, while smaller, carries more specialty items, too.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:33 PM

416 posts, read 924,712 times
Quote:

On a different note, any tips on a good Falafel or Kabob house? I'll check the restuarant threads, too.

thanks! Dan
I was partial to recommending Sultan Kabob House, but ever since Middle East Deli (E.Independence Ave .) changed hands, they are my most recommended as of now. They have really improved from food to service and now I don't just get stuff to go, I actually dine in. Name is Carolina Kebap now.

Last edited by heartsN Charlotte; 12-23-2010 at 12:41 PM.. Reason: Add new name of restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte