U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:11 PM

151 posts, read 230,077 times

Advertisements

Why no decent grocery store here? Harris teeter, Walmart and Target are okay but I would drive many miles for a Wegmans or a Publix. Any news that something is coming soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:20 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,174,055 times
Sorry, global, those stores don't exist in this area. This is the land of Food Lion, Bilo, Harris Teeter, Wally World and Target (though Bloom is popping up too)! According to the corporation's webpages, there's not a single Publix in North Carolina, and Wegmans is unheard of in these parts. They do have Publix stores in South Carolina...there were quite a few in Columbia. That's where I shopped sometimes back when I was a USC student....and they are nice!

Old 08-22-2010, 09:31 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,615,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalideas View Post
Why no decent grocery store here? Harris teeter, Walmart and Target are okay but I would drive many miles for a Wegmans or a Publix. Any news that something is coming soon?

Honestly, I don't get it.

I have heard for years from people like you on this site about Wegman's being so freaking great.

So when I moved to Syracuse last year I thought, great, at least I get to experience Wegmans - something to look forward to in a new place, ya know?

Well, imagine my surprise when every Wegman's I went into was so much like good old Harris Teeter I would have thought I was back in Charlotte.

So do not dare try to tell the people here that there are no "decent" grocery stores in NC. Don't get me wrong, Wegman's was nice - but it is certainly NO BETTER than the HT. They are BOTH fine places to shop, especially the HT flagship store at Morrocroft.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM

812 posts, read 1,654,435 times
don't even get me started! I am totally in love with Wegman's. I have been known to pack a cooler on our return trip from Northern Va with goodies!

We just had a new Lowe's Food open in Hickory---I made my 1st trip today passing the one next to my house. I was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO disappointed! I was hoping for a mini Wegman's or killer Giant Eagle like they opened in Robinson Twp out near the Pittsburgh airport. I was told they were supposed to have a cafe but there wasn't a place to eat and the selections weren't that much different than my current store. Oh wait they had a sushi bar and a pizza bar and a coffee/bakery area. BUT you have to take it with you.

Unfortunately Wegman's has no plans to move much further south than where they are in Virginia. TRUST me I ask on a regular basis.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 PM

812 posts, read 1,654,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Honestly, I don't get it.

I have heard for years from people like you on this site about Wegman's being so freaking great.

So when I moved to Syracuse last year I thought, great, at least I get to experience Wegmans - something to look forward to in a new place, ya know?

Well, imagine my surprise when every Wegman's I went into was so much like good old Harris Teeter I would have thought I was back in Charlotte.

So do not dare try to tell the people here that there are no "decent" grocery stores in NC. Don't get me wrong, Wegman's was nice - but it is certainly NO BETTER than the HT. They are BOTH fine places to shop.

I think the older Wegman's like in upstate NY are similar to our HT stores--but if you have ever stopped by a new one with 2 story cafe, bakery on crack, meat depts on roids, cheese mongers, ginormous wine selection, kitchen goods, coffee shop, sandwich shop, hot food bar, real sushi chef etc... I stopped at one in Ithaca and it was an older basic store. NOTHING like the stores in Gainesville, Dulles/Sterling, Leesburg Virginia.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:47 PM

7,238 posts, read 8,246,550 times
So HT, and other local grocers here aren't "decent"?

We don't need a Wegmans here. If it does eventually come, fine, but I'm not riding the bandwagon for it.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:57 PM

22,021 posts, read 27,318,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globalideas View Post
OK, hop in your car & go to Spartanburg. Publix is there. Nearer, are the Ingles Supermarkets in Dallas & Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain's Ingles is 80,000 sq feet, & bigger than the one in Dallas. That ought to take care of you.

ETA: Wegmans came to my old town. I could have cared less.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-22-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:01 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,489,926 times
Giant Eagle isn't anything special either.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,642,963 times
Yeah drive to Spartanburg you will save in Gas Money by Gasing in South Carolina or heck relocate there.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:28 PM

22,021 posts, read 27,318,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Yeah drive to Spartanburg you will save in Gas Money by Gasing in South Carolina or heck relocate there.
Hey Sunny, here's a poster who's good to go with driving. Now, the Kings Mountain Ingles is always busy, but we can always use the extra tax money in Cleveland County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte