Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 09:35 PM

12 posts, read 31,204 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are visiting from NY this upcoming weekend. In a nutshell, we have 2 young children and are hoping to buy a 4br/3ba home in a family friendly community with great schools and amenities. Looking to spend $350k. So far, I have Cureton, Hunter Oaks, Lawson, Chimneys at Marvin Creek, and The Reserve on my list to look at. Am I missing anything? Ideally, what county to we want to be in for taxes? Better schools? My husband works from home, so commute is not an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 09:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa6103 View Post
My husband and I are visiting from NY this upcoming weekend. In a nutshell, we have 2 young children and are hoping to buy a 4br/3ba home in a family friendly community with great schools and amenities. Looking to spend $350k. So far, I have Cureton, Hunter Oaks, Lawson, Chimneys at Marvin Creek, and The Reserve on my list to look at. Am I missing anything? Ideally, what county to we want to be in for taxes? Better schools? My husband works from home, so commute is not an issue.
You're missing plenty.

Have you contacted a realtor to make the wisest use of your time?

Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
I just sent you a DM, but loves' makes a good point... I figured from your list that you were specifically concentrating in NorthWest Union County. There's more there and I sent you specifically for that - but if you consider other counties in the immediate area (i.e. Meck, York/SC) there is a whole lot more.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:22 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Depending on where you are in NY, you might find yourself feeling pretty isolated out there. Not sure why you wouldn't consider something closer in to town. There are so many great options closer in that would get you closer to museums, stadium, arena, shopping and entertainment for you and your children. Don't be a fraid of Charlotte. It won't bite! Good luck.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa6103 View Post
... Am I missing anything? Ideally, what county to we want to be in for taxes? Better schools? ...
What the previous poster said. Property taxes in this area are irrelevant to the real issue at hand which is home depreciation. Buy something this year and next year it can be worth $100K less. This should be your primary concern as the differences in property taxes are very small in comparison. Charlotte is littered with subdivisions out on the perimeter, purchased mostly by transplants that overpaid during the real estate boom, and now it is crashing down on their heads. No school system here will be as good as the ones in NY. (in general)

If you have to buy a home in this price range, and $250K and above are all exposed, then you minimize the risk by staying as close to or within Charlotte 4, in a neighborhood that was built more than a decade ago. Anything else and you are taking a bad roll of the dice.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:20 AM

224 posts, read 458,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Depending on where you are in NY, you might find yourself feeling pretty isolated out there. Not sure why you wouldn't consider something closer in to town. There are so many great options closer in that would get you closer to museums, stadium, arena, shopping and entertainment for you and your children. Don't be a fraid of Charlotte. It won't bite! Good luck.
You can check out the North and East side of Charlotte..into
Mooresville and Iredell counties and Cabarrus county and Concord.
Depending on where you need to commute for work....
that will help more definitively establish several options for you.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:14 AM

339 posts, read 715,376 times
There is a great house in my neighborhood that just went on the market this weekend. $259, all brick, brand new pool/hot tub, swing set etc.. great house.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:21 AM

339 posts, read 715,376 times
By the way it is in Weddington, weddington schools.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Don't dismiss places north of Charlotte. There's Skybrook, Highland Creek and Winding Walk. Winding Walk and parts of Skybrook and Highland creek are in Cabarrus County (cheaper taxes). There are some great schools around. The neighborhoods are family friendly. There are grcoery stores and shopping nearby.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,376,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchenette View Post
You can check out the North and East side of Charlotte..into
Mooresville and Iredell counties and Cabarrus county and Concord.
Depending on where you need to commute for work....
that will help more definitively establish several options for you.
Check out the east side of Mooresville. GREAT schools in the Mooresville graded school district, laptops for all students 3rd grade & up. Nice homes & subdivisions, close to all shopping & highways (I-77 & I-85). Lots of homes in your price range too. Check out Cherry Grove & Harris Village. Nice communities with pools & lots of kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte