U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:18 PM

445 posts, read 1,020,131 times

Advertisements

I've bought my daughter's glasses from 39dollarglasses.com You can print out a "sample" and try them on. It give you directions on how to measure your pupillary distance. We have been very happy with the quality and the selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
We buy all of our eyeglasses on-line. zennioptical.com (http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php - broken link) is our favorite...starting at $8, just can't beat it.
Shipping is $5 for the entire order. It takes a few weeks to get them so definitely get a back up pair...
I have used zenni as well and got the most fabulous glasses! I was super pleased with them. I got more compliments on this pair Zenni Optical :: $8.00 Eyeglasses (http://www.zennioptical.com/images/frames/3443/images/order_thumb.jpg - broken link) than on my Gucci's for which I paid a lot more than $8 (but still off another discount site, before discovering Zenni)

The only drawback with Zenni is that in order to get bifocals or progressives, you have to choose frames of a certain height, and they aren't very stylish.

But is all you need are single vision you are set!

Last edited by sunshineleith; 08-26-2010 at 11:18 AM.. Reason: amended link

Old 08-27-2010, 08:27 AM

2,115 posts, read 6,434,641 times
You guys are wonderful! I almost I forgot I posted here! Sincerely appreciate the wonderful suggestions. I'll let you all know where we buy ultimately.

Sara

Old 12-07-2010, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 10,976 times
As I have a really strong prescription, I have been forced all my life to buy the lowest quality available on the market because of the price the opticians were charging me. Before i found any eyeglasses on internet, my prescription cost me between 800$ for single vision and 1200$ for progressive lenses. With my low income, i was wearing a 14 years old pair of glasses with so much scratch that i wasn't even cleaning anymore because i couldn't see any difference.
A couple years ago i found that some cheap eyeglasses were available on the web but i was skeptic about it. I tried all of these websites mentioned above.

The only limitation was that progressive glasses were available only in their highest index. 1.74
This was a bit more expensive than I was used to pay but what the heck, i needed those so i bought them for 175$
I was impressed with the quality of their product, So much more well built, comfortable, fashionable and precisely made. No flaw.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: no links or recommendations from posters with less than 10 posts

Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,119,602 times
Springbok - So glad you found a better price and were able to get new glasses! I am due for a new prescription (probably bi-focals) and will soon be ordering online again. I refuse to pay the crazy prices for glasses at the optical stores or doctor offices!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:57 PM

11 posts, read 10,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Springbok - So glad you found a better price and were able to get new glasses! I am due for a new prescription (probably bi-focals) and will soon be ordering online again. I refuse to pay the crazy prices for glasses at the optical stores or doctor offices!
Thanks, I mean glassesshop.com and they were able to do my single vision prescription in any of their offered index.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:00 AM

985 posts, read 1,647,346 times
everone in our household wears glasses and the kids have to be replaced yearly, we have had great luck with zenni optical (it's online) and we have now ordered 7 pairs in the last two years all without any problem, it just takes 2 weeks for them to come in. Every frame fits well and the prescriptions have been right on.
We even ordered sunglasses too

Old 12-15-2010, 11:38 PM

15 posts, read 25,428 times
I have purchased glasses from Glasses Shop:Cheap Prescription Eyeglasses,Reading Glasses Frames,Optical Eyewear On Sale in the past. Would do it again.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:17 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,574,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Sara, I was in Sears in Gastonia yesterday & they have an optical department. Check around because I don't know if all of the Sears have them.

I prefer Lens Crafters, particularly when they have their bi-annual sale. You can get great prices there when you can get half-price. I know that the sale was on a couple of weeks ago. Check on that.

Good luck! Getting new glasses can be such a chore! (especially finding the right frames)
I second LensCrafters! And there is an eye doctor's office right next door to the LensCrafters in the Eastridge Westfield Mall in case you need an updated prescription. Kill two birds with one stone, and they also have a lot of good deals. If you have a strong prescription, the optician on staff is also excellent at grinding lenses so that particular LensCrafters location can grind lenses on site about five times stronger than most opticals, which means you get them back in an hour or two instead of having to wait several weeks for them to order the lenses and have them come in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or