U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:30 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,242,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
The online map I was looking at showed it a bit west of the school, definitely closer to the school than the Quellin houses to the Harris Teeter!
Hopefully, someone can give you a good approximation.

The noise won't matter, probably. There may be soundproofing in the school. I'd be more concerned with the distance from the school grounds. I once worked at a location that was quite close to a golf course. There should have been no problem, but occasionally, an employee outside the building would be beaned by an errant golf ball. More than one went through a car window or windshield. The distance was enough that it shouldn't have ever happened, but given the right wind conditions the impossible happened several times in about 8 years.

If the distance from the school is farther than the wind can carry a bullet in stong wind, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Hopefully, someone can give you a good approximation.

The noise won't matter, probably. There may be soundproofing in the school. I'd be more concerned with the distance from the school grounds. I once worked at a location that was quite close to a golf course. There should have been no problem, but occasionally, an employee outside the building would be beaned by an errant golf ball. More than one went through a car window or windshield. The distance was enough that it shouldn't have ever happened, but given the right wind conditions the impossible happened several times in about 8 years.

If the distance from the school is farther than the wind can carry a bullet in stong wind, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought.
Well, since no one checked for you, I did. The firing range is .4 miles from the school.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:43 AM

65 posts, read 157,080 times
I’ve lived in the area for two years and the gun noise is hardly noticeable. It’s no different than the sounds of crickets, frogs or birds. You will notice it occasionally, but for the most part it fades into the background.

I am not pro-gun, but I have no issues with the range and it's proximity to the school or my neighborhood. My DS starts 1st grade at Kensington tomorrow and my youngest starts kindergarten next fall. Law abiding citizens going to a safe, secure and appropriate place to shoot at targets doesn’t bother me in the least.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:27 AM

168 posts, read 452,609 times
The gun club really is not a big deal at all, during the week no on goes, weekend it really just kind of blends in. I have been to the club once just to check it out, everything is very professional and safety is upheld in every way. 95% of the people there are shooting clay pigeons (these do not travel) My neighborhood backs up to the club a few houses right on it, it is not a big deal and wouldnt let it sway your decision on a great suburb of Charlotte.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM

3,412 posts, read 3,218,643 times
Hi TeacherAmy,

For the housebound part of your post there are a couple of mom's groups in the area. Check out The Mommies Network: Your Mom-to-Mom Connection there are groups in Meck and Union counties. If you decide to give the north part of Charlotte a try... there is also one for up here too. Good luck in your house search.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,809 times
Default RE Agent that live in Quellin

I have not lived there, but have a friend that lived there and loved it. Last time I was there the sidewalks and yards were buzzing. Of course that was a Saturday. The best way to get to know the neighbors is join/start a club or become a bunko sub not really my game but it's fun.
I don't know how close it is but I think tht that shooting range has come under scrutiny lately. I think the owner of the land is my OB doctor! He has had people try to close down the range so it is not a free wheeling place and if they want to stay open they will have to keep it under all the regulations for sure.
The Morrison Y in my opinion has the newest best indoo- outdoor facility.
Elevation Chruch is going to be 35 -40 minutes off 485 and 74.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:47 AM

168 posts, read 452,609 times
Actually they are building the new HUGE elevation church in blakeny, so depending on who you ask it will be between 10-15 minutes away.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:51 PM

189 posts, read 330,079 times
Whoa--I didn't get these additional responses. Thank you all SO much.

Riley... are you sure you have to move away??

In general, I have no problems with a shooting range. I grew up with firearms, used them (I grew up in and used to be in law enforcement), and am very comfortable with them. This range, which I've looked at online, seems to be a very serious group of folks who are committed to responsible and careful use. That really doesn't trouble me in the slightest. Thinking that I'm at my parents' home in the middle of state game lands on the first morning of deer season, though, would. I'm very relieved to hear from other folks that it isn't a major issue. The day we'd heard the sounds was a weekday morning, so it surprised me when I found out what it was. And you're right--the crickets are probably louder.

I wonder how much they hear it at the school. From a teacher's perspective, that kind of sound all day would have most kids banging their heads into the wall, not to mention the kids with attention or sensory difficulties! LOL (Along those lines, though, I wouldn't want my children to endure that.) We're planning to head out there on a weekday morning to see/hear what it's like on a normal day. The original plan was to spend Friday morning out there, but the baby has come down with some nasty virus and has been vomiting with a high fever.

I really do appreciate all these insights; it helps when you don't have the luxury of hanging around an area for awhile to get the feel of it. Special thanks to southbound_295 for checking on the range location for me! I did wind up checking it out on a satellite map to 'see' its layout, and it was indeed where I thought it was.

So... fantastic house in not as ideal situation, or a "settling-for" house in a perfect situation (Baxter Village)?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 PM

149 posts, read 244,895 times
Ok, I just need to to say this: with so many different options available to you such as; The Reserve, Lawson,Hunter Oaks,etc- why, why pick near a shooting range..ok, i said it.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherAmy View Post
Whoa--I didn't get these additional responses. Thank you all SO much.

Riley... are you sure you have to move away??

In general, I have no problems with a shooting range. I grew up with firearms, used them (I grew up in and used to be in law enforcement), and am very comfortable with them. This range, which I've looked at online, seems to be a very serious group of folks who are committed to responsible and careful use. That really doesn't trouble me in the slightest. Thinking that I'm at my parents' home in the middle of state game lands on the first morning of deer season, though, would. I'm very relieved to hear from other folks that it isn't a major issue. The day we'd heard the sounds was a weekday morning, so it surprised me when I found out what it was. And you're right--the crickets are probably louder.

I wonder how much they hear it at the school. From a teacher's perspective, that kind of sound all day would have most kids banging their heads into the wall, not to mention the kids with attention or sensory difficulties! LOL (Along those lines, though, I wouldn't want my children to endure that.) We're planning to head out there on a weekday morning to see/hear what it's like on a normal day. The original plan was to spend Friday morning out there, but the baby has come down with some nasty virus and has been vomiting with a high fever.

I really do appreciate all these insights; it helps when you don't have the luxury of hanging around an area for awhile to get the feel of it. Special thanks to southbound_295 for checking on the range location for me! I did wind up checking it out on a satellite map to 'see' its layout, and it was indeed where I thought it was.

So... fantastic house in not as ideal situation, or a "settling-for" house in a perfect situation (Baxter Village)?
You're welcome, Amy. I didn't want to be downer, & don't think that people would be goofing off, but accidents happen, so I was wondering about the distance. I used the satellite map, & did the to & from, which was sort of weird because it kept trying to take me to a street in Charlotte, until I fine tuned it, just right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or