Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 11:27 AM

189 posts, read 374,649 times

Advertisements

Good morning!

Well, we spent our second weekend in the Charlotte area, despite the fact that I was violently sick from Wednesday night on. A whole lot of Zofran and narcotic pain relievers propped me up enough to look around the area more, and we seem to be focusing our search.

Here's the dilemma: we found several very nice homes in Quellin and are seriously considering it. The houses are right up our alley vs. the big sacrifices we'd be making to live in Baxter (with better location and amenities for us). But there are several concerns that I was hoping to know more about from folks around there.

1. Smell: Obviously, the water treatment plant is a concern, although from the research I've been doing as well as PMs with folks in the area, it seems they did a fairly effective job at mitigating the problem. Is that the case? Does that seem to be a problem when within the subdivision?

2. Noise: When we stepped out on our first day, I commented to DH that we were hearing gunfire. We thought we must've been nuts, but it turns out we were right. At the time, it was the first house visit and we really weren't looking seriously, so I didn't spend a lot of time considering it. Now, however, I wonder and would like to know what people's experiences have been there. Old threads indicate it drove a few people nuts, but I wonder if the addition of houses and the maturation of landscaping have reduced that sound at all? Is it something that would become annoying while being outside?

3. Distance: It looks like it would be a 22-23 minute drive to the 2 closest YMCAs, and a bit of a hike to a Target or some of the more contemporary churches we're looking at. Is that the drive time you have noticed? Is there any rumor of a Y opening closer to the Waxhaw area?

4. Stuff to do: While small, Quellin seems like a great subdivision. The pool area is nice and we've heard people are very friendly. We didn't really see anyone out, which worried DH (he is concerned about me getting lonely and housebound again), but I've heard it's an active and friendly community. Will we be out and about with folks?

Thanks so much. It's tough narrowing down options and trying to figure out what will be the best direction for our family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:41 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,314 times
With all due respect and wishing you much luck on your search, I cannot speak to the smell or the gun fire (although both sound lovely) but you will be out in the boonies. The pool area might be nice but it's not going to be used 12 months a year. Take your time. Is renting for a while an option?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:06 PM

65 posts, read 175,777 times
There are three Targets within 20 minutes, the closest being about 10-15 minutes (Weddington/Wesley Chapel).

As far as Chuckles' comment about being out in the "boonies," that may have been true five or 10 years ago, but Waxhaw is well situated within close proximity to pretty much anything you want to do.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
The gunfire is probably Carolina Rifle & Pistol's outdoor range. You'll hear it from sunup to sundown depending on how busy the range is.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:16 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,026,527 times
You'd certainly be out there a ways... 22 for sale in there with only one in contract as far as I can tell. Last sale in there was $293k on 11-Aug.

The short sale of 3400sqft (with decent finishes) priced at $239k... what is up with that?! That would concern me about buying in there right now.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM

168 posts, read 505,923 times
Your 10 minutes from Target at Blakeney maybe 15 at most. Your also about 15 minutes from from the Morrison YMCA. The gun shots you get used to, I am a mile up the street in Providence estates so I cant comment on the smell. I love the area. Good Luck!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,950,025 times
On the other hand if you like to shoot having the range within walking distance is definitely a plus.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:30 PM

So 15 minutes south of Blakeney (Boonies), gun fire (she'll get used to it) and falling home values and we're still recommending to this woman, whose husband has expressed concerned that she will become housebound, that she buy a house in this neighborhood? Okay. Sounds good!

Old 08-23-2010, 12:40 PM

168 posts, read 505,923 times
I guess its all relative, The fact that on a Sunday afternoon I can get to Panthers stadium in about 35-45 minutes is plenty close for me, relatives in the suburbs of Chicago drive 90 miles to go to a bears game.&nbsp; The gun club get used to it comment, I guess is kind of like how when you live in Manhatten you get used to car horns, or when you live in Southpark near the Y you get used to hearing the refs whistles all day on Saturday.&nbsp; Falling Home values, I guess if your using that angle you shouldn't buy at all.&nbsp; <br>

Old 08-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Which goes back to my "renting for a while' comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte