Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 05:17 PM

16 posts, read 75,424 times

Advertisements

Well Love Mountains your reply to my reply answers the question of "fiasco" . You answered my questions by agreeing with what I read so dont be so hard on me. Voters are voting these issues down because they dont trust the board. It might happen again this fall. That is what I call a "fiasco". Meck County needs about 3 BILLION dollars in the next ten years jjustt for schools. But one party is ONLY asking for a little over $600 mill. the other party says that is too much and voters will not approve it. So their figure is about $450 Million. I am sorry, but what is the difference? a fiasco. $400 Million, $600 million. What is the difference I ask? Voters might not even approve $20K. As New2Charlotte agreed from his personal experience and from his personal opinion.

I am sure Union County has its issues and I am sure they can't build schools fast enough, but again it seems as the Meck County Gov't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 05:56 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,592,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamherenowwhat View Post
Well Love Mountains your reply to my reply answers the question of "fiasco" . You answered my questions by agreeing with what I read so dont be so hard on me. Voters are voting these issues down because they dont trust the board. It might happen again this fall. That is what I call a "fiasco". Meck County needs about 3 BILLION dollars in the next ten years jjustt for schools. But one party is ONLY asking for a little over $600 mill. the other party says that is too much and voters will not approve it. So their figure is about $450 Million. I am sorry, but what is the difference? a fiasco. $400 Million, $600 million. What is the difference I ask? Voters might not even approve $20K. As New2Charlotte agreed from his personal experience and from his personal opinion.

I am sure Union County has its issues and I am sure they can't build schools fast enough, but again it seems as the Meck County Gov't

But you miss my point - you implied Charlotte and/or it's schools are a fiasco - that is what I disagree with. The bond issue, and the school board - those are the fiascos. Just not fair to make it sound like all of Charlotte, and all of its schools and all of its government are fiascos because that is not true.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:42 AM

235 posts, read 729,124 times
We are going to be renting in Ballantyne, we were zoned for Hawk Ridge we are going to the NEW Elon Park school, they are pulling kids from Hawk Ridge as well from what I was told this will take away from the overcrowding, next year they will also open Flat Branch elem this will eleveate more of the pressure from Hawk...I think opening 2 new Elems is not a fiasco but a good step in the right direction. You want fiasco look at NY my son who just finished 3rd grade with 24 kids would have went to a 4th grade that will have 35....now thats a fiasco!!JMO

Old 07-15-2011, 11:59 AM

81 posts, read 158,568 times
The schools in South Charlotte do not have the problems other schools in CMS have. Ardrey Kell and Providence are the #2 & 3 high schools in the state behind the Math & Science Institute, Union County cannot compete with these two schools and seem to want to compare CMS as a whole to Union Co vs the border schools that are quite excellent. I can speak for Community House Middle and Robinson middle, as my kids went there. They are GREAT schools, very focused on academics. Every elementary school that feeds into Community House is top notch, as well.

If Union Co schools were so great then every CMS teacher, living in Union Co, would send their kids to their home school in Union, but I've yet to meet one that didn't chose to live in Union for lower housing prices but still send their kids to school in the south Charlotte schools. My sister in law and most of her friends do exactly that.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM

1,241 posts, read 2,317,312 times
Holy four year old thread Batman!

Old 07-15-2011, 12:16 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,282,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuesday Girl View Post
... Ardrey Kell and Providence are the #2 & 3 high schools in the state behind the Math & Science Institute,....
I was under the impression that Myers Park was far ahead of these schools. The only place I've ever seen Ardrey Kell mentioned, as a long term Charlotte resident, is this forum.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:40 PM

81 posts, read 158,568 times
My son graduated from Myers Park and it was once the top school, well, battling w/Providence for top spot in CMS. Myers Park IB program was moved and it was a major reason the school was ranked so highly. From his freshman year to graduation, I saw a steady decline even before losing the IB program. It's still a good school and one of the better in CMS, but not what it once was sadly.

The state ranks the schools annually and AK has ranked 2 or 3 the three years my youngest attended and its only been open 4 years. The Newsweek ranking is what a lot of people think about but their rankings are based on certain things like how many kids take an AP exam, but fail to calculate the actual scores received from said AP exams.

All the south Charlotte schools are good though and have incredible parent support which is what really makes a great school

Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,282,751 times
Newsweek put the dead cadaver of Princess Diana in a new dress on their cover the week before. It's not the magazine that it once was either. I hope this wasn't your source for this piece of information.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,362,897 times
Myers Park still has an excellent IB program. Almost every kid that I know that goes to MPHS is in it. Not sure what you're referring to?

Old 07-15-2011, 12:56 PM

6,150 posts, read 10,009,166 times
NC doesn't "rank" schools, they "rate" them:

Honor School of Excellence... At least 90% of students at grade level and the school made adequate yearly progress (AYP)
School of Excellence... At least 90% of students at grade level
School of Distinction... 80 to 90% of students at grade level
School of Progress... 60 to 80% of students at grade level

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

Although people often make reference to rankings, I am not aware of any independent rankings where one could point to a certain school being "#2" or "#3" in the state.... or county... or the country... etc.

I'd be interested to see one if it existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: