U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:34 AM

16 posts, read 66,515 times

Advertisements

Well, I have been here for three weeks in a rental and I have been educating myself for a long time through reading all kinds of info through this excellent board and the Charlotte Observer. For the past couple of weeks, I have been reading in the front page of the paper about the issues with the schools, the upcoming vote on the bonds, the irresponsible past, the .5 cent transit vote, yada, yada, and more yada. I thought Charlotte was a "UTOPIA", but I could be wrong. LOL! Lots of issues and baggage.

We are actually in love with the area. We love some of the neighborhoods with have seen in the South Charlotte area. They are in the best schools districts Meck can offer. But with two elementary aged children, I am not a 100% sure that Meck county might be the answer. Again, we do love some of the neighborhoods we have seen. If anything they have more character and charm in comparison to some of the union COunty neighborhoods we saw. BUT with lower taxes, less baggage, and PERHAPS better schools, Union might end up being our home even at the expense of a longer drive to some of the better amenities the city offers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:38 AM

348 posts, read 319,215 times
This is EXACTLY why I reccomend people rent BEFORE buying. IT gives you a chance to check out the areas up close before committing to buying somewhere.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:35 AM

515 posts, read 908,085 times
I would suggest you rent over there for a while. I'm new to the area as well but I thought the commute to uptown from there was even worse than south charlotte.

Old 06-27-2007, 08:53 AM

348 posts, read 1,248,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamherenowwhat View Post
Well, I have been here for three weeks in a rental and I have been educating myself for a long time through reading all kinds of info through this excellent board and the Charlotte Observer. For the past couple of weeks, I have been reading in the front page of the paper about the issues with the schools, the upcoming vote on the bonds, the irresponsible past, the .5 cent transit vote, yada, yada, and more yada. I thought Charlotte was a "UTOPIA", but I could be wrong. LOL! Lots of issues and baggage.

We are actually in love with the area. We love some of the neighborhoods with have seen in the South Charlotte area. They are in the best schools districts Meck can offer. But with two elementary aged children, I am not a 100% sure that Meck county might be the answer. Again, we do love some of the neighborhoods we have seen. If anything they have more character and charm in comparison to some of the union COunty neighborhoods we saw. BUT with lower taxes, less baggage, and PERHAPS better schools, Union might end up being our home even at the expense of a longer drive to some of the better amenities the city offers
That is why it is so important to rent 1st. When we first started telling people last year that we were moving here, the 1st question was always "Did you buy a house?" To which the answer was "NO, we want to check out the area and see where we want to be!"

Take your time and look around before committing to purchase. As for schools, I don't know and haven't heard much about Union County's. I am sure someone else here can help you on that.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:53 AM

197 posts, read 668,414 times
I live in Union County and although we love it here it too is not without its problems. Taxes go up and up here and will continue to rise becasue services are needed. Union County is having a lot of growing pains in that they are building too many houses too fast and the infrastructure can't keep up.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:24 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:

Guess I'm confused?? What exactly is the "big fiasco"? Charlotte is a large city. Large cities have "issues". Ours certainly aren't the worst or most insurmountable. Even Union county has "issues". The fact is, there is no such thing as utopia - maybe that's the big fiasco?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:33 AM

132 posts, read 401,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Guess I'm confused?? What exactly is the "big fiasco"? Charlotte is a large city. Large cities have "issues".
Fiasco seemed to me to be a good word for some of the funding/bond issues within CMS. Yes, as you mentioned, cities have issues... isn't this a good forum for addressing some of those and getting other residents (and non-residents) feedback and opinions? I don't believe the original poster was intending to put anyone on the defensive... were you poster?

Old 06-27-2007, 10:47 AM

16 posts, read 66,515 times
I am not blasting anybody or anything. I am just making a posting about something based on what I have been seeing and reading. If you are a newcomer as I am, I am an educating myself in every way. I am reading the newspapers. I am talking to people. I am reading this forum. BASED ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN and HEAR , it seems as the are big government issues in Meck county, especially when it comes to the funding schools. I am not even talking about what the 11 o'clock news are reporting about other local issues (crime, weather, etc) . I have two young kids and I honestly do not want big issues with the schools. We are in a position to live either in South Charlotte where the schools are very good or Union County. But based on the what I mentioned before, living in Union COunty might be the better of the two "UTOPIAS"

Old 06-27-2007, 10:56 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,542,478 times
Quote:
I am not blasting anybody or anything. I am just making a posting about something based on what I have been seeing and reading. If you are a newcomer as I am, I am an educating myself in every way. I am reading the newspapers. I am talking to people. I am reading this forum. BASED ON WHAT I HAVE SEEN and HEAR , it seems as the are big government issues in Meck county, especially when it comes to the funding schools. I am not even talking about what the 11 o'clock news are reporting about other local issues (crime, weather, etc) . I have two young kids and I honestly do not want big issues with the schools. We are in a position to live either in South Charlotte where the schools are very good or Union County. But based on the what I mentioned before, living in Union COunty might be the better of the two "UTOPIAS"
I didn't think you were trying to blast anyone
My only issue is with the way you titled your thread.

For people just scanning threads it gives what I think is a false impression of the state of things in Charlotte. The definition of the word "fiasco" is complete and total failure. Frankly that does not accurately describe the problems here at all, in my opinion. You yourself admitted your prior belief in Charlotte being a utopia - I'm just saying you may have set yourself up for disappointment in the local issues with that naive attitude.

And just a word to the wise, while the Observer does some things well, it tends to be a bit biased in its editorials and in its reporting of facts.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 AM

2,742 posts, read 5,994,650 times
Quote:

Actually, it probably would have been smarter to read the news paper and TV news station's websites “before” you moved here. You would have seen all those issues referenced repeatedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or