Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,775 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on moving to Charlotte NC in November. We would move into a suburban area. Can anyone give us any advice about the city. I.e (is the job market good/bad)? Ive been applying and I'm finding it very difficult. If anyone moved from Jersey to NC before did you like it? I'm very nervous because of the lifestyle down south. I hope we fit in, and meet people. Please helppp! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 04:22 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,196,373 times
people from new jersey, hi.

there's a useful search feature on this forum. you should try it.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 PM

468 posts, read 826,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm86 View Post
I'm very nervous because of the lifestyle down south.
Wow!

Wondering what is meant by that statement.

Let me assure you that as a native New Yorker that has been living here for over 30 years (and would never move back to the north), you should have no worries.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
I just started working in Uptown Charlotte, and have had a chance to walk around, and if I wasn't planning on having kids sooner rather than later, I would love to live right near there. I wouldn't just dismiss the city.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:17 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Are you in North Jersey?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:24 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
Fitting in? How do you normally fit in? How do you normally meet people? Charlotte is not on a another planet. I think you are stressing out unnecessarily.

As for jobs, Charlotte is like most places, the job market is crap right now. You better find something before you get here. What is your occupation?

Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,775 times
i live in central nj... near princeton. i have all my family and friends here, so its a scary move. i do customer service. ive been applying to places everywhere! i had a job interview in charlotte.. so i know there are some jobs out there..its hard looking when u live out of state though. i recently found out from my job they are laying me off..so ill have unemployment until i find a job. so im not totally worried. im not going down without any sort of income. what i meant by fitting in is; the people are super nice, friendly ect..im not used to that, the people in nj are rude and always in a hurry.. its a culture shock. i was down in july with my husband and we loved it!

Old 08-26-2010, 06:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
DEFINITELY find a job before NC. I don't know who is spreading the falsehood that jobs are just sitting on trees to be picked. NC's unemployment is among the highest in the US. Don't make the mistake of coming wihtout a job already lined up.

And as for the "culture shock"; why are you moving if you're worried? People will treat you the way you treat them, but Southern culture is different from NYC/NJ culture. Be prepared to go a little more slowly, talk more softly, and be less argumentative than people tend to be around NYC. Break those stereotypes and you'll be welcomed with warm arms; adhere to them and you'll be the "Yankee" neighbor nobody wants around.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm86 View Post
i live in central nj... near princeton. i have all my family and friends here, so its a scary move. i do customer service. ive been applying to places everywhere! i had a job interview in charlotte.. so i know there are some jobs out there..its hard looking when u live out of state though. i recently found out from my job they are laying me off..so ill have unemployment until i find a job. so im not totally worried. im not going down without any sort of income. what i meant by fitting in is; the people are super nice, friendly ect..im not used to that, the people in nj are rude and always in a hurry.. its a culture shock. i was down in july with my husband and we loved it!
I came down here from Cherry Hill. I have been to Princeton, many times. I used to go up to Princeton twice a year to go to a huge sale at a shop in Princeton & people were not rude & in a hurry at a sale where you could get $200 sweaters for $25. That is simply not true. If they were going to be rude & in a hurry, that would surely be the place to do it.

This is a lot like South Jersey. Strangers are going to talk to you. Come to think of it, I've talked to total strangers in Princeton & no one got scared & ran away or called the cops.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 AM

124 posts, read 583,089 times
We moved from Sussex County 2 years ago. Love it and would never go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte