Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 08:34 AM

689 posts, read 1,657,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
IMHO, a fascination with celebrity culture is usually compensation for a less than fulfilling life on the part of the fan. Who cares?
I agree. There are a lot of great people in this city who aren't celebrities. I prefer to focus on them. Different strokes though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:48 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I think the only red carpet events we have are charity events.
Agreed. And those are fewer and far between; I think a huge charity dinner looks a little lavish in this economy, though they still happen. But, yeah, speakers or special guests at charity events are where you'll most likely find celebrities here.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:54 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,954,115 times
I'd think that in Charlotte the nice thing is that if you're a celebrity you can just blend in with everyone else.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:08 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I'd think that in Charlotte the nice thing is that if you're a celebrity you can just blend in with everyone else.
There's a guy in Kings Mountain who's authored several books on the Civil War, which, I guess, makes him a celebrity in some circles. He teaches out in Shelby at the community college. That's pretty annonymous & blending in, if you ask me.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:46 AM

98 posts, read 246,118 times
As for events with an actual step and repeat, they are not often done-it's a little pretentious as we really don't have the type of paparazzi coverage necessitated by such events. I literally laughed outloud when I recently got a Young Affiliates of the Mint save the date stating they would have a step/repeat for their galsa in Novemvber...it's just very try-hard.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:12 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,751,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
I was just wondering what kind of Red Carpet events does Charlotte host. It is fun to go to these and try to get autographs. And where are they usually at?? Havent heard too much about any big events where a lot of celebrities are at. Are their never any galas? Or Fundraisers where all types of celebrities come out?? Any Movie premieres? Any swanky restaurant openings? Just wondering, been to several in Atlanta and got tons of pics w/ celebs...would be fun to take my sister to one here because she is into that.
Will Smith had a premiere here for Seven Pounds ...Link: Photos of Will Smith at a Charlotte, NC, Premiere of Seven Pounds

Boris Kodjoe and Ruby Dee had a premire for their movie All About Us ... Link: "All About Us"

And here's an upcoming movie premiere that will be held in September....

Tuesday, September 14
Movie Premiere - Sinners and Saints @ Mez
Mez, 210 E. Trade St., Charlotte, NC
Carolina Film Works, a Charlotte-based film production company, will host a premiere of the multi-million dollar feature, Sinners and Saints. The red carpet event begins with celebrity and VIP arrivals at 6:30pm, followed by a movie screening at 7:15pm and an after-party at Mez Restaurant and Lounge.

Tickets can be purchased online for $14.00 each at EpiCentre Theaters All net proceeds will benefit the Special Operations Warrior Foundation, a 501(c)3 that provides recovery assistance to severely wounded special operations personnel and tuition assistance to the children of special operations personnel killed in combat or training.
Time: 6:30pm Cost: $14.00

Links:
Movie Premiere - Sinners and Saints: Charlotte Entertainment Guide (http://www.charlottevibe.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Entertainment.EventList&id=10 779 - broken link)

SInners and Saints the Movie | Red Carpet Premiere

Old 08-30-2010, 10:11 AM

550 posts, read 1,808,688 times
We're in Charlotte, not New York or LA.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:52 AM

1,149 posts, read 934,660 times
It is mostly big on sports figures. Like Nascar and Football.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM

159 posts, read 393,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota4791 View Post
We're in Charlotte, not New York or LA.
Even in NY, a real New Yorker wouldn't give a celebrity a second glance, that's what tourist are for.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:38 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,695 times
Why can't I ever just ask a question without everyone jumping on me. Like I said....my 15 year old sister is into that kind of stuff...so I want to take her to something along those lines..... And I haven't been in Charlotte 6 months...barely 3 months. And if someone wants to hang out with celebs, what's wrong with that?? And for the person that said there are plenty of regular people in Charlotte...no thanks.

Thanks to the people that posted relative information for me really appreciated!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte