Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 07:22 AM

149 posts, read 328,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
If you read her second post you will see she indicated the police shoved them in the back - the whole thing seems excessive to me even if they WERE shoplifting which they weren't. I am not a "cop-basher". I respect the job that they have to do, but feel they were wrong in the way it was handled. If it was my child, I would be angry and if they were shoving them around - I think that is wrong.

" So...to frisk them right there, in Electronics, shove them in the back like felons even when they didn't have a thing on them but brownies seems like excess to me!!! I don't know about y'all but if it were your kid you might think different."
With all due respect the OP did not indicate the kids ever being shoved. The story says they were frisked.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
If you read her second post you will see she indicated the police shoved them in the back - the whole thing seems excessive to me...."
She said, this is what the 15 year old said happened. I'm sure there are cases of incorrect police behavior, police brutality, etc. but you can bet that if this was the intent of the police, they wouldn't do it in a Walmart in full view of witnesses and no doubt endless security cameras. Do you think that 4 policemen are going to bust into Walmart and start shoving 15 year olds? I'm thinking an adolescent, caught in the wrong, might have embellished things a bit.

Last edited by lumbollo; 08-30-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflychik View Post
Is it shop lifting if they don't leave the store with it?
I believe that, technically, if someone takes any item while in a store and conceals it (i.e. puts it in a pocket, purse, jacket, etc., that is all that is needed to warrant confronting the person, even if they do not physically remove it from the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
She said, this is what the 15 year old said happened. I'm sure there are cases of incorrect police behavior, police brutality, etc. but you can bet that if this was the intent of the police, they wouldn't do it in a Walmart in full view of witnesses and no doubt endless security cameras. Do you think that 4 policemen are going to bust into Walmart and start shoving 15 year olds? I'm thinking an adolescent, caught in the wrong, might have embellished things a bit.
Agreed. And I am sure that we do not have the whole story here. Unless the whole incident is on video, I am sure there is likely a bit of "he said" / "he said" going on here.

If it were me, the first thing I would do is go meet with the manager at the store and ask if there is a security cam video of the "confrontation" so that I could see, with my own eyes, what actually happened before jumping to any conclusions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrn0224 View Post
....2 scrawny 15 year old clean cut kids with a package of brownies in plain sight and a 20 year old clean cut kid....
I fail to see what being "clean cut" has to do with anything. I knew plenty of "clean cut" looking kids in high school who did get in trouble with the law. On the other hand, I (and most of my friends) tended to have long hair, wear ripped jeans and look like your typical mid-80's "metalhead" kids (i.e. not really "clean cut" by definition) - and we were all pretty much on the straight and narrow. I am not passing judgement on anything your kid or his friends may have did - but their appearance really has no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

That said, it appears that the OP has disappeared from this thread.

And, maybe its just me, but this whole "curfew" business seems a bit silly to me. I don't recall ever having one growing up (except for the one set by my folks).

Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
And, maybe its just me, but this whole "curfew" business seems a bit silly to me. I don't recall ever having one growing up (except for the one set by my folks).
Most communities have them, whether or not they are enforced is another matter. Even my small podunk town had one. The town fire siren sounded once when it was curfew so you knew when it started.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:43 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,211,316 times
Cities and towns started putting in curfews when parents stopped being parents. It's not like it was when I grew up where if a kid got in trouble with the teachers or other figures of authority they got their ass whipped by the parents and then the parents sent an apology to those affected by the kids actions. Today it's the authority that is questioned and lawsuits threatened all due to the words of a kid that can't do any wrong. Parents now demand apologies instead of making them. This is the difference and why cities now have curfews.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:11 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Cities and towns started putting in curfews when parents stopped being parents. It's not like it was when I grew up where if a kid got in trouble with the teachers or other figures of authority they got their ass whipped by the parents and then the parents sent an apology to those affected by the kids actions. Today it's the authority that is questioned and lawsuits threatened all due to the words of a kid that can't do any wrong. Parents now demand apologies instead of making them. This is the difference and why cities now have curfews.
Charlotte has had a teen curfew since the 90's. My son once got stopped in a movie theater lobby while hanging out waiting for us to get out of our movie (his ended sooner than ours).

And every 4th of July and New Years Eve you hear on the news about kids being taken in for curfew violations. Anyone who didn't know Charlotte has a teen curfew hasn't been paying close attention.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:55 PM

446 posts, read 831,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclmn View Post
I used to do Loss prevention for a retailer, not Wal-Mart, but they all run about the same way. In most retailers that employ loss prevention or asset protection, managers and store employees are NOT allowed to approach suspected shoplifters per company policy. That is because store employees and management are NOT trained to spot all elements of proof necessary to detain a suspected shoplifter. The suspect must have been 1) observed entering the department. In this case, the section of DVDs. That's so that it can be noted what the subject was already carrying/wearing when they entered. 2) They have to be observed selecting the merchandise. 3) They have to be observed concealing the merchandise. 4) they have to be observed leaving the department 5) they have to be observed passing the point of sale (cash registers). In stores like Walmart where there are registers all over the store, a subject can be stopped on the sales floor for unlawful concealment when they are observed concealing the merchandise. If all of these elements are not met, and a person is detained and found NOT to have any merchandise, it is considered a non productive detainment and opens the company up for lawsuits. The OP COULD choose to pursue it, especially with the manager admitting that they goofed. In the company that I worked for, people were FIRED for erroneously detaining folks. Especially if there was a stink raised about it. Most times the company would try to avoid a lawsuit and appease the customer by offering them a store gift card/ merchandise credit anywhere from $200- $1000, depending on the severity (embarrassment) of the stop.

I have to tell you, even after I stopped doing LP work, and when I was shopping and spotted people stealing in stores, I never called the police myself. Personally, I've never had anyone take it upon themself to call the police. I always find a store employee or manager and let them know that I've observed someone removing tags and concealing. Since the employee or manager didn't personally observe the concealment, the best they can do is "customer service" the subject to death by continuosly asking "Do you need help... would you like a cart for your items..are you ready to check out," etc. but they are not supposed to ever accuse anyone of stealing.

THANK YOU!! I found out more when I picked my son up at his friend's house the next day. What they did was wait for them to check out, FIVE CMPD COPS dragged them over IN THE FRONT OF THE STORE AND FRISKED THEM before they left the store, in plain view of about 30 people or more. My son said he thought it was a joke at first, but then he got scared. He's 15 and he's not a kid who roams the street...in fact, that night was the very FIRST night he's been out on his own with his friends at all, ever, without my driving them somewhere and picking them up, like at the movies. The very first time he goes out with them on the way home was to get movies, just movies, and brownies!!!

I'm so mad I about cry every f'ing time I think about it.

People handing out those petty, childish remarks make this board a place that isn't comforting. You can't get real answers that way, what you get is people dismissing you when you have a legitimate question. I get something about a cop copping a feel. WHAT IS THAT? I almost didn't come back til I got a nice pm from someone with some actual KNOWLEDGE about how these things work and for that I am very, very appreciative. At this point I plan on doing what I have to to stand up for my son and his friends. They shouldn't have stopped at Walmart at all, but most especially not without my knowing it and not without my consent and for that my son caught h*ll. He's grounded for the next 2 weekends....as for the rest, I will stand up for my son and do what I have to do to make sure that he is at the VERY Least apologized to IN PERSON and as for those so called Cops who decided to do things that weren't called for as they HAD NOT LEFT THE STORE YET I plan on doing what I have to to tear their butts apart as well. They don't touch my son like that and get away with it!!!!!!!! As for the ones out there that act like know it alls and think you know more than the rest of us, don't bother replying because I won't read it. Some people on here need to learn some serious TACT. It's easy to hide behind a computer screen and play the fool isn't it??

For the rest of you who acted like adults and gave me useful comments I really do appreciate it. I really didn't know where we stood or if my ex was just being an a$$, which he can be, but now I know he had a point and now we'll pursue it.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 PM

Default About the curfew!!!!!!!

CMPD enforces a county-wide curfew for those under 16. It means your child has to be home by 11 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and midnight Friday and Saturday.
Police point to popular shopping centers like Stonecrest in southeast Charlotte which teens tend to frequent.

Police warn parents about curfew with summer vacation looming | West Charlotte News

IT WAS 11 OCLOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

FRIDAY NIGHT!!! It's midnight on the weekend, 11 M-Th..

Come back at me for that one now....he didn't even BREAK THE CURFEW!!!!!! OMG....that was the final straw......

Old 08-31-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I believe that, technically, if someone takes any item while in a store and conceals it (i.e. puts it in a pocket, purse, jacket, etc., that is all that is needed to warrant confronting the person, even if they do not physically remove it from the store.

Agreed. And I am sure that we do not have the whole story here. Unless the whole incident is on video, I am sure there is likely a bit of "he said" / "he said" going on here.

If it were me, the first thing I would do is go meet with the manager at the store and ask if there is a security cam video of the "confrontation" so that I could see, with my own eyes, what actually happened before jumping to any conclusions.

I fail to see what being "clean cut" has to do with anything. I knew plenty of "clean cut" looking kids in high school who did get in trouble with the law. On the other hand, I (and most of my friends) tended to have long hair, wear ripped jeans and look like your typical mid-80's "metalhead" kids (i.e. not really "clean cut" by definition) - and we were all pretty much on the straight and narrow. I am not passing judgement on anything your kid or his friends may have did - but their appearance really has no bearing on the matter whatsoever.

That said, it appears that the OP has disappeared from this thread.

As for embelishing it I got this info from the freaking manager.....he's NOT 15....anything else?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, and I also said what the manager told me. And there were 5 cops, and nobody said anything about busting down anything.

Embellished my behind.....the MANAGER told me pretty much the same thing my son did except there were 5 cops, not 4 and they didn't get frisked in Electronics or in the back, they got frisked in the front of the store and yes, it's on tape. Anything else? HE WASN'T IN THE WRONG HE DIDN'T STEAL ANYTHING HE BOUGHT BROWNIES AND MOVIES AND THEY HAD NOTHING ON THEM!!!!!!!!! One last time, ANYTHING ELSE?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte