U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 PM

25 posts, read 47,320 times

Advertisements

Hi, my wife, 2 small dogs, 1 cat, and myself will be relocating to Charlotte in 2 weeks (Sept. 10, 2010). We will be towing the truck behind our 2006 32' Motorhome and driving our Celica. We currently have reservations for long term at Elmore RV Park. I will be working just south of the airport. I've reviewed the past years weather averages, checked in on vehicle registration, hunting & fishing liscenses, property insurance, weapons permits, crime, etc. We plan to purchase a home in the spring of 2011. My questions are this:

What advice can you give on RV living in Charlotte (i.e. winter time, humidity effects, winds, rain, hail, any effects from coastal storms)?

How is the true housing market in neighborhoods which allow us to park our RV on our own property?

How's traffic? (We are coming from North Los Angeles area where traffic is dreadful!)

Which bowling alley has the best USBC league?

How busy are the public boat ramps at Lake Wylie?

Who is the best Farmers Insurance agent?

Thanks, we look forward to a less stressful lifestyle with lots of good catfish!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:25 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times
Some advice. If this is Elmore trailer park on N. Tryon, most here would consider this a pretty rough area of town. You might want to look into other arrangements.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:15 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Some advice. If this is Elmore trailer park on N. Tryon, most here would consider this a pretty rough area of town. You might want to look into other arrangements.
aren't there some RV parks out by the Speedway that would be a bit better?

Old 08-28-2010, 09:32 PM

2,826 posts, read 4,133,008 times
Just found a review for 'Mcdowell Nature Preserve' RV park near Lake Wylie/Hwy 49 and Shopton Road West. The reviews were pretty good and that would not be far from the airport. Sorry, but I don't know know much about RV's or RV living in the area.

Good luck!

Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback on the RV parks. McDowell doesn't allow longterm. Yes, Elmore is off Tyron. What did you mean by rough area? Any personal experience? Any crime stats? Drug thugs on the corner or just good ole' southern boys getting drunk on Saturday and fighting with the ole' woman? Shoot outs at the OK corral or knife fights? (Gotta know which weapon to show up with). It seems the RV parks are far and few between for long termers in Charlotte. We may end up staying in Walmart parking lot till spring. Maybe someone knows someone with a horse ranch that has hook-ups and is looking for a hand to feed / clean in exchange. I've got a full time job already with years of experience working horses. Anyone? Anyone?

Old 08-29-2010, 01:03 AM

2,155 posts, read 3,369,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertcamguy View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback on the RV parks. McDowell doesn't allow longterm. Yes, Elmore is off Tyron. What did you mean by rough area? Any personal experience? Any crime stats? Drug thugs on the corner or just good ole' southern boys getting drunk on Saturday and fighting with the ole' woman? Shoot outs at the OK corral or knife fights? (Gotta know which weapon to show up with). It seems the RV parks are far and few between for long termers in Charlotte. We may end up staying in Walmart parking lot till spring. Maybe someone knows someone with a horse ranch that has hook-ups and is looking for a hand to feed / clean in exchange. I've got a full time job already with years of experience working horses. Anyone? Anyone?
Rough area as in gang activity, shooting, etc. The good ol' boys left that area a long time ago.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2010 at 07:16 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 08:06 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
Try some of the places up near the Speedway. trailer living is just not well accepted nor done here. traditionally, the only ones that would live in an RV or mobile home are ...uh...trailer trash. Not people with full time jobs and decent families. It would be the rare farmer (of any kind) that would allow someone with an RV to park on their land for that reason. People who live in those are kind of regarded with suspicion....

Now, obviously, I am not saying that you or your family fits that description. That is just the perception here. It also gets pretty cold here to be living in the RV in the wintertime....

Perhaps YOUR perception of Charlotte is that it is mostly a rural area? Not really anymore. It is a medium-size, mostly white collar city. Lots of money here. Lots of the type of amenities that you would normally find somewhere that there is money. Where the money is NOT, is usually an area that is struggling with crime. (unfortunately)

There are the rednecks and the good ole boys, but, they are farther and farther outside of the city. They are definitely the minority here. Most of Charlotte is made up of transplants now; people that have moved here from around the world. Many came from the NE/New York area, lots are from Ohio, Michigan,etc. Lots of big-city backgrounds. My pastor thinks that the pace here is very fast; now, to me, it is slow (being from Chicago) but, others tell me that when you come from other parts of the country that are NOT big cities, the pace of life is very fast.

The point to all of this is trying to help you understand where you are moving to. Perception is very big here as are impressions. Please don't tell people at work that you are living in an RV or you might find that you are inaccurately labeled from the beginning.

Now, to answer some of your other questions. The only way that you are going to be able to park your RV at your house when you buy one is if you buy one with at least a couple of acres. That way you can hide it in the back. Can't answer you about bowling; that is not a very popular sport here. there ARE bowling alleys, again, few & far between. Don't know about the boat ramps, but, if they are like the ones at Lake Norman, yes, they are quite busy. Traffic here is a bear simply because everyone tries to drive like they did where ever they used to live. That just does not go well.

Again. Farmers Insurance? Unless you have some land, you are probably not going to qualify.

We are 300 miles inland. Usually the worst that we will get from a hurricane is LOTS of rain and some wind. Mobile home are required (by law) to have tie downs. Don't think that would apply to you since your RV is inheritently mobile, but, you will want to think of another location to stay if something comes our way. The tropics are very busy now with three storms out there; who knows what the season will bring.

You need to think of this area like a watered-down version of Beverly Hills. No, we don't have that kind of money, but, we sure have the whole "money" attitude!

sorry to be rather blunt. But, I think that you would rather be forewarned than slapped-in-the-face!

Last edited by chicagocubs; 08-29-2010 at 08:34 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 09:45 AM

21,854 posts, read 27,128,289 times
I checked Gaston County (the next county west of Charlotte & closest to the airport). I found an article that stated that Gaston County intended to add some RV accommodations to some parks. That was in 2007, then the recession happened. That, apparently, was put on hold. There are some RV accommodations at Lake Wylie in SC. That would be closer to your job.

Keeping an RV on your property will mean looking outside of Charlotte. Still, outside of Charlotte there are lots of new construction communities & they have HOAs & you'll be hard-pressed to find one that does not ban RVs. So. . .you will be looking for homes that predate HOAs where there is no zoning prohibition. Due to the location of your job, I suggest that you look in these areas. Gaston County, southestern Lincoln County, eastern Cleveland County (NOT in City of Kings Mountain, but there is an unincorporated area called Kings Mountain) or York County, SC. I think that Cherokee County SC is just too far, but you might find something in or near Blacksburg or Grover SC, but that's pushing it.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:57 PM

Thank you all for the information. My wife and I are very excited to get away from the Los Angeles area. A couple acres + would be nice. My job will not have me going to the office everyday and the people I work for already know we are trailer-park trash. LOL I rodeo'd for years but due to the nature of my job the horses are not feasible so my down time is spent either fishing, hiking, or bowling. I don't like HOA's mainly because there are too many rules. I don't mind a commute to work since my hours are extremely flexible. Good thing we are filthy rich, we should fit right in.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:15 PM

21,854 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by covertcamguy View Post
Thank you all for the information. My wife and I are very excited to get away from the Los Angeles area. A couple acres + would be nice. My job will not have me going to the office everyday and the people I work for already know we are trailer-park trash. LOL I rodeo'd for years but due to the nature of my job the horses are not feasible so my down time is spent either fishing, hiking, or bowling. I don't like HOA's mainly because there are too many rules. I don't mind a commute to work since my hours are extremely flexible. Good thing we are filthy rich, we should fit right in.

Do you think that you're going to want to get horses? That could possibly have a bearing on location more than the RV. As long as you are not governed by an HOA all you need to worry about for the RV are zoning regulations, & lot size probably would not apply There are lakes for fishing in the area, like this one: Moss Lake, Cleveland County, North Carolina

Check this 2010 Autumn Happenings in Charlotte Metro . I posted 2 events that might interest you. Farmers Insurance has a couple of agents in Kings Mountain.

This might work for you as well. It's a work in progress. Kings Mountain Gateway Trails > Home

Sorry, but I can't help you with the bowling alley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or