Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times

Advertisements

This article appeared in the New York Times today and it matches my feelings exactly. While I know that use of the word ma'am is part of the culture in the south, I have never gotten used to being called ma'am. It makes me feel like an old lady.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/we...f=weekinreview
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,524 times
Being a man from Michigan, I'm probably not your target for this question... but I'm not gonna let that stop me from putting my two cents in.

We say ma'am in Michigan, too. I think of it about the same as I think of being called "sir". It's no big deal. Yes, it means I'm getting older (oh, the horror!), but I'm okay with that. I suspect that people who are bothered by being ma'amed or sirred are really just bothered by getting older, which I find a rather silly thing to be bothered by, considering the alternative.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:34 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,655,777 times
I'm a guy also, but it has to be better than calling a married women "mother". And I'm from CT, and I could swear we were taught to use "ma'am" and "sir" out of respect.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
This article appeared in the New York Times today and it matches my feelings exactly. While I know that use of the word ma'am is part of the culture in the south, I have never gotten used to being called ma'am. It makes me feel like an old lady.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/we...f=weekinreview
I bet you don't like your kids friends or neigborhood kids calling you MRS. ex burgher either. Let me guess, you want them call you by your first name?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:48 AM

468 posts, read 826,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Then what do you prefer to be called if you don't know the person and they don't know you?

Just a question.

And yes, I used ma'am when I was growing up in NYC and I continue to use it on occasion here in the south when I don't know the person. Most questions can be answered with a flat yes or no without using a gender specific address.

But what if a woman has dropped something on the ground and you are trying to call her attention to it. How do you address the person then? Somehow just yelling "hey you" or "hey woman" seems a lot less respectful than saying ma'am.

Of if ma'am is such a problem for you and you are insulted because you think it is an old lady term.............. do we address you as young lady no matter what your age?

I'm just asking here...........if you don't like the term, what is your solution? What do you want to be called?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:00 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
It is "yes ma'am" and "yes sir", always.

I've criss-crossed this country frequently, and 99.99% of people really enjoy politeness and light up at such mannerisms.

I was raised this way, and my children do the same.

Last edited by mullman; 08-29-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-29-2010, 10:01 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I'm a guy also, but it has to be better than calling a married women "mother". And I'm from CT, and I could swear we were taught to use "ma'am" and "sir" out of respect.
I'm from MA & it was the same case there too.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:13 AM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
I'm northerner and I too have used ma'am since a child

Old 08-29-2010, 10:19 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,054,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post

But what if a woman has dropped something on the ground and you are trying to call her attention to it. How do you address the person then? Somehow just yelling "hey you" or "hey woman" seems a lot less respectful than saying ma'am.
When I try to get someone's attention, I say "excuse me, miss."

Old 08-29-2010, 10:30 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
I am from Michigan & spent most of my life in the South Jersey suburbs of Philly. Ma'am is used in all of those places, just more frequently in Michigan. What that load of hogwash article failed to mention is that it's the contraction of madam.

Ma'am is not necessarily connected to age. It's a term of respect. It is not a southern term & that article even admits it. Would you prefer that strangers address you "hey! yo!"?

Yeah, if the woman has an actual title (Doctor, Senator, etc.) & if the person addressing her knows that, Ma'am is disrepectful, in some usages, but not all.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-29-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: