U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 AM

32 posts, read 44,743 times
Default 34 year old single woman looking to relocate to Charlotte

I have thought about moving to Charlotte for years now. I am a 34 year old single woman. I have no children and nothing holding me back, except for my house. I have always wanted to move south. I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and just hate the long, dreary, cold winters. I have visited Charlotte many times and think it would be a great place to live. I do have family and tons of friends here, which would make it hard for me to leave, but I just think if I don't do it now, I may never do it. I have never lived anywhere else.

I have applied for many jobs in the area, but have not heard much back. I started talking to a recruiter in my field who is confident that he could find me something. It would most likely be a contract to hire position, however, I am fine with this since I have been a contractor in Columbus for 5 years. It could happen within a few weeks or it could take months. It just depends on what comes along that fits my skills and experiences.

I thought about putting my house up for sale now. I do have someone I could live with here in Columbus if it sales before I get a job. If my house doesn't sale and I get a good offer, I have someone I can stay with in Charlotte for a decent amount of rent. I could afford both the rent and my mortgage payment until it sells, but it would be tight. Am I crazy to even consider this?

Is Charlotte worth it? Would it be easy for me to find friends there around my age that are single as well?

Any advice or experiences you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:09 PM

44,358 posts, read 54,849,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnp133 View Post
I have thought about moving to Charlotte for years now. I am a 34 year old single woman. I have no children and nothing holding me back, except for my house. I have always wanted to move south. I currently live in Columbus, Ohio and just hate the long, dreary, cold winters. I have visited Charlotte many times and think it would be a great place to live. I do have family and tons of friends here, which would make it hard for me to leave, but I just think if I don't do it now, I may never do it. I have never lived anywhere else.

I have applied for many jobs in the area, but have not heard much back. I started talking to a recruiter in my field who is confident that he could find me something. It would most likely be a contract to hire position, however, I am fine with this since I have been a contractor in Columbus for 5 years. It could happen within a few weeks or it could take months. It just depends on what comes along that fits my skills and experiences.

I thought about putting my house up for sale now. I do have someone I could live with here in Columbus if it sales before I get a job. If my house doesn't sale and I get a good offer, I have someone I can stay with in Charlotte for a decent amount of rent. I could afford both the rent and my mortgage payment until it sells, but it would be tight. Am I crazy to even consider this?

Is Charlotte worth it? Would it be easy for me to find friends there around my age that are single as well?

Any advice or experiences you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.
Nothing crazy about wanting to try something new

I'd say if you are absolutely sure you want to leave Ohio, put the house up for sale as soon as you can get it ready. In todays market you'll need some time to sell I'm sure. The job market does seem to be just a bit brighter in Charlotte than it's been in 2 years now, so I hope your recruiter is right and can find you something.

Unfortunately, no on here can really tell you if "Charlotte is worth it", as that's a really personal decision. To THOUSANDS of people it apparently has been worth it - before the recession we were seeing 80,000+ newcomers moving to our metro a year! In general, most people who live in Charlotte seem to love it - but there are always going to be those who can't wait to go someplace else

Old 08-30-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks LovesMountains! I am weighing my options carefully. We will see what comes up in the next few weeks.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM

1,052 posts, read 983,370 times
I say "Go For It," b/c you will never know if that opportunity ever comes around again!

Old 08-30-2010, 01:05 PM

4,753 posts, read 3,864,724 times
After working for 11 mos in Dublin, OH and living here for 3.5 yrs, I can tell you that Charlotte would definitely be worth it for me!

I don't know if that's much help, but there it is.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM

That helps a lot, thank you! I have an interview tomorrow. Wish me luck! If it starts becoming a reality, I am sure I will have lots more questions for everyone. Thanks again!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 PM

44,358 posts, read 54,849,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnp133 View Post
That helps a lot, thank you! I have an interview tomorrow. Wish me luck! If it starts becoming a reality, I am sure I will have lots more questions for everyone. Thanks again!
Woo hoo, keep us posted!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 PM

645 posts, read 1,431,180 times
Oh no...more freaking Buckeye fans! Apparently I-77 @ Charlotte is like a black hole for Ohio people...they stop for gas in Charlotte and never return...to Ohio! ;-)

There are SO many transplant from Ohio and western PA! Apparently 70 degree days in December is a draw for the notherners!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:30 PM

That's right! GO BUCKS!!!

I would love 70 degree weather in December. Let's hope it all works out for me. Interview went good this a.m. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Old 09-01-2010, 02:06 PM

81 posts, read 107,067 times
I can't speak for everyone, but I can say that I chose to move here from Chicago 13 years ago. I had no job waiting for me, no place to live established and really had only met 2-3 people that lived here, which I didn't really know.

It was the single best decision I've ever made.
People ask why I moved here and the short answer is "Warmer weather and warmer people". Even though the market is slow, this is still an energetic town, growing every year and has some incredible weather, which translates into tons of things to do outside.

I'm not going to pretend to be thrilled about another Buckeye Fan move into town, but as a former notherner or as some would say a "Damned Midwesterner" I have to say this is a great place to live.

Good luck,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte