Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:28 PM

55 posts, read 149,957 times

Advertisements

Hello.

I am fairly new to Charlotte, just trying to get some ideas for groups to join (or activities) to meet more people.

A little background: I moved down here from Cincinnati this year, work in a small office, however co workers are all a bit of shut ins, or in relationships and don't venture out and about. I am 31, a male, and can socialize with people in their early 20's, up to mid thirties. After mid thirties, its just a bit to grown up for me! haha... I do get a long with everyone I meet, I just prefer to hang out with people I click with. Anyway, I did join a few meet up (meetup.com) groups, however, just didnt find the type of people I like to hang out with, so am looking for more options. I am a pretty social person, and enjoy myself doing just about everything, but just need to have a way to meet a few more people more like me... Whats is more like me? I don't know, honestly... but you know when you meet people if your personalities are similar, or not.

I am hoping to gain some insight as to where I can look into joining something. I was thinking along the lines of:

-Volunteering groups (not one on one like Big Brothers/Sisters, but something more group-like)... to meet people and I like to volunteer anyway.

-Young Republican type group or Independent etc.. anything really but democrat.

-Nothing church/religion related please

-Activities groups?

-I think I saw something about CHOA, anyone have any insight into that group? Its an outdoors activities group. Looks like I may have them a bit too late, as it seems like most of the good fall activities are on Sundays, which is a no go for me due to NFL season starting up. NFL is for Sundays lol.. If anyone knows of any Bengals groups down here that would be awesome.

-Social clubs of any sort

-Anything I havent thought of that you can help with is much appreciated

Thanks in advance for any help! I hope I was able to provide enough detail as to what I am talking about and looking for.

-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,652,237 times
You might want to look at the other topics that are very similar to yours. I hear a lot of good things about CHOA, so I'm looking to join it as well. I think the meetup.com events trailed off due to the summer and peoples' availability with vacations and all, but I expect they'll start cranking up again.

How about joining the upcoming leagues for Charlotte Adult Kickball?

Join the Charlotte Blues Society?

There's a grass-roots auto racing sanctioning body called NASA. They're always looking for volunteers for race events.

Other than that, I've been wondering if there are any apartment complexes that have regular planned social events and get-togethers.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:29 AM

550 posts, read 1,807,876 times
CHOA is an outdoor activities group that also gets a good number of social activities going.
They have events every day of the week - they play ultimate frisbee on Tuesday nights, hiking, rock climbing, biking, running, kickball on Wednesday nights, water=skiing after work, mountain biking, trail running... and those are just the events scheduled during the week in the next two weeks.
Let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 AM

140 posts, read 272,280 times
Why not give the meetup groups another try? There are so many of them that maybe you just didn't find the right fit for you yet. When I moved here over a year ago, I tried a few different groups until I found the right ones. For volunteering, you can try Hands on Charlotte. I don't belong to CHOA but have heard good things about it.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:17 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
You could always start your own MeetUp group, as well...

Old 10-16-2010, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,066 times
Personality Games, Meeting, personality, create connections.
Many people find it hard to connect online for friendship or more, because of impersonal emails, unawareness on how to relate and a too serious environment.

While people increasingly want use the Internet to meet people, where can they really get to know a person beyond the usual questions and understand a part of their personality?

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-16-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 03:23 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dish View Post
Hello.

I am fairly new to Charlotte, just trying to get some ideas for groups to join (or activities) to meet more people.

A little background: I moved down here from Cincinnati this year, work in a small office, however co workers are all a bit of shut ins, or in relationships and don't venture out and about. I am 31, a male, and can socialize with people in their early 20's, up to mid thirties. After mid thirties, its just a bit to grown up for me! haha... I do get a long with everyone I meet, I just prefer to hang out with people I click with. Anyway, I did join a few meet up (meetup.com) groups, however, just didnt find the type of people I like to hang out with, so am looking for more options. I am a pretty social person, and enjoy myself doing just about everything, but just need to have a way to meet a few more people more like me... Whats is more like me? I don't know, honestly... but you know when you meet people if your personalities are similar, or not.

I am hoping to gain some insight as to where I can look into joining something. I was thinking along the lines of:

-Volunteering groups (not one on one like Big Brothers/Sisters, but something more group-like)... to meet people and I like to volunteer anyway.

-Young Republican type group or Independent etc.. anything really but democrat.

-Nothing church/religion related please

-Activities groups?

-I think I saw something about CHOA, anyone have any insight into that group? Its an outdoors activities group. Looks like I may have them a bit too late, as it seems like most of the good fall activities are on Sundays, which is a no go for me due to NFL season starting up. NFL is for Sundays lol.. If anyone knows of any Bengals groups down here that would be awesome.

-Social clubs of any sort

-Anything I havent thought of that you can help with is much appreciated

Thanks in advance for any help! I hope I was able to provide enough detail as to what I am talking about and looking for.

-

Welcome to Charlotte!

I clicked on your post to recommend CHOA to you, but looks like you've already found it

I'd definitely look into all they offer, there are many ways to meet people there. Best of luck!

Old 10-16-2010, 06:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
I am in the same boat. I tried meetup.com and while I met a few nice people at the meetup, most were less than desirable and I ended up being ditched at 3am uptown on a Friday night and had to find my way back to my car hoping I wouldn't be mugged. Maybe I'll try a different meetup group from what I tried previously. The problem for me is I work until 7pm. 99.9% of weekday meetups are at 7pm or earlier and pretty much all other social events are at 7pm during the week. How do people who work schedules that are social life-unfriendly like mine get by?

Old 10-21-2010, 08:08 AM

37 posts, read 35,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am in the same boat. I tried meetup.com and while I met a few nice people at the meetup, most were less than desirable and I ended up being ditched at 3am uptown on a Friday night and had to find my way back to my car hoping I wouldn't be mugged. Maybe I'll try a different meetup group from what I tried previously. The problem for me is I work until 7pm. 99.9% of weekday meetups are at 7pm or earlier and pretty much all other social events are at 7pm during the week. How do people who work schedules that are social life-unfriendly like mine get by?
I agree with you, I have been to a few meetup's, but I couldn't find many people that I would want to meet for a second time, besides, a lot of them looked like they were there to find their potential dates/partners etc etc. I have no intention of doing that, so I guess I didn't fit in there as best as they could.

I would suggest you to join an outdoor adventure group, or if nothing of that sort starts after 7 pm, try to play a sport, you know, something like Tennis, Racquetball etc etc, I am sure you would be able to find some people who are outgoing, active and you can of course keep your health in a good shape too doing that.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,651,845 times
If you pick up a Creative Loafing, they have a ton of groups and activities listed. The information is online, as well, but you have to wade through a bunch of spam there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte