Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 03:22 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times

Advertisements

This metro area has over 2 million people in it and Mecklenburg is closing in on 1 million. I simply can't fathom the concept they are all marching in lockstep with each other and if you don't learn the proper goose-step and get into the parade with them, then you need to move somewhere else. It doesn't make any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:29 PM

299 posts, read 589,722 times
Charlotteborn: I'm not a nudist...but I also make it a point to not vilify the human body to my kids. Human body functions are explained in detail in ways that may make others uncomfortable. So, if you don't mind your kid coming home talking about sperm, uterus, placenta, urethras and what similarities humans have to other mamals, then send them over

Coastalgirl, you make a very valid point - there is nothing wrong with the culture of conformity...if you happen to conform that is. There were so many movies in the '80s about this subject - most of them unfortunately starring Molly Ringwold - the concept should be obsolete by now, no?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This metro area has over 2 million people in it and Mecklenburg is closing in on 1 million. I simply can't fathom the concept they are all marching in lockstep with each other and if you don't learn the proper goose-step and get into the parade with them, then you need to move somewhere else. It doesn't make any sense.
Are you a Clt native? Have you ever lived in a different place - NOT military related. Military bases don't count, imo.

So, let me re-iterate...I have lived in many different cities in many different countries and not until moving to Charlotte, where I expected to NOT encounter culture shock, did I ever feel like I didn't fit in. Even in places where I was in the racial/ethnic minority.
What doesn't make sense is people trying to tell other people that their experience is invalid and preposterous.

There really is a huge wave of opposition to this idea isn't there? Curious that apparently it comes up so much then.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:47 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Lily - It would depend on the age of the child how I would feel about your discussing the human body with them. My son is 18 and you would be probably be surprised what he could teach you! If he was only 5 or so, I would probably want him to hear it from me - not my neighbors, etc. If you are 'explaining human body functions in detail' to your childrens friends.... WHY? and what is the purpose of doing so?

Old 08-30-2010, 03:49 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
So, let me re-iterate...I have lived in many different cities in many different countries and not until moving to Charlotte, where I expected to NOT encounter culture shock, did I ever feel like I didn't fit in......
I'm not even believing you now, and attempting to cast credibility issues against me because you claim to be a world traveler in comparison means I'm probably wasting my time. However,

If you want to see a culture of conformity, then I recommend a trip to Japan. When you get there, you will discover, though they will be very nice to your face that by design you will never fit in. You will openly be referred to as Gaijin which roughly translates to alien or foreigner but in the culture is derogatory. It won't matter if you marry a native, learn the language, and accept the religion, you will never be a part of that society. Apparently you missed this part of the world.

There is nothing even close to this in Charlotte or anywhere else in the USA.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:58 PM

644 posts, read 1,429,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
Are you a Clt native? Have you ever lived in a different place - NOT military related. Military bases don't count, imo.

So, let me re-iterate...I have lived in many different cities in many different countries and not until moving to Charlotte, where I expected to NOT encounter culture shock, did I ever feel like I didn't fit in. Even in places where I was in the racial/ethnic minority.
What doesn't make sense is people trying to tell other people that their experience is invalid and preposterous.

There really is a huge wave of opposition to this idea isn't there? Curious that apparently it comes up so much then.

Lily I agree with you completely. I have lived all up and down the East Coast most recently Atlanta...and this is the ONLY place where I feel like I don't belong.

For instance I went to Carowinds last weekend.....and NEVER before in my life have I been called the N word.....but some white people thought it was cute to call me that...saying "damn them n***as trying to take over Carowinds too?!?! WHITE POWER!!" WOW...really?? I lived in georgia for Christ's sake and they don't even do THAT there...

I have always lived in more affluent neighborhoods that just happen to be all white (Forest Hills, NY Prospect Park, NY-early 90s, Alpharetta, ga etc..) so I talk "proper" and like to wear flip flops. But b/c I'm not a thug w/ my pants down to my ankles I am not accepted by black people here in Charlotte. This is the only place on Earth where you can't be yourself and if you are other people wont accept you!! This is the least liberal place!!

I'm glad you posted everything you did b/c sometimes I think I am the only one that feels this way...but I'm glad to know others share my views on Charlotte. If I didn't have family here...I swear I would move somewhere else.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Charlotteborn, I wouldn't explain those things to their friends! That's not my job. But, my kids will know these things and may tell your kids about them. So, as for ethics, an example is that I believe telling your kids things about nature as directly as possible is something that not everyone agrees with.

Lumbollo, I have lived in Tokyo, actually. It was one of places that peaked my fascination with identity in the first place. And while I completely agree with you that Japan trumps the US in this regard, I was prepared for it so new how to handle it...ok, I made a couple (HUGE) gaffes while there, but it wasn't the shock that moving here was.

My question to you wasn't an accusation, it was just a question. No need to be offended.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:01 PM

Ack, that should read, "and so knew how to handle it".

Old 08-30-2010, 04:06 PM

Holy crap, Ajjam, that's awful!!! I'm so sorry that happened to you!
Can I pm you?

Old 08-30-2010, 04:14 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,360,274 times
I am an immigrant to the US since '84, lived all over the country and europe, and visitied lots of other places and have never felt like I do not belong. Currently I live outside Charlotte but again, have not experience that feeling. I am not really sure what you consider a "freak" but I have not felt like one anywhere I have been. I assimilate but do not lose my identity or character in the process. I am still me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte