U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 PM

50 posts, read 111,627 times

Advertisements

Our less than 2 foot tall dog loves to jump over the fence (4 foot, split rail variety). We've tried re-training with an e-collar and the little stinker figured out pretty quickly that if I'm not in sight, he will not get shocked. He has to be constantly supervised, which is sad because he loves to be outside. The neighbors have been very tolerant, but I'm sure they're annoyed. Even scarier is that he can jump out a side that leads to a busy road. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are considering replacing the fence with a 5 foot aluminum one (no place to put one's paws), but in our good sized yard, it is enormously expensive. I'm also considering an underground fence inside the existing fence (it would have to provide a STRONG correction for this dog), but I'm worried it wont work. Anyone have a jumper its worked for? And if so, who did you use? I've heard of putting some sort of leaning extension at the top, but I'm not sure how. And oh yes, this delightful little mutt has a doggy friend in the yard with him and has been through extensive obedience training. Squirrels, cats and the neighbors' dogs are just way more interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM

2,829 posts, read 4,137,616 times
Deecon - I have the 'Petsafe wireless containment system'. I got it at Petsmart and it works for my lab. She would jump the fence as soon as I pulled out of the driveway.

I plug in the system in the house and my dog has the 'correction' collar on. There are no wires to bury and it is alot cheaper than an invisible fence. She is very smart and learned quickly that if she heard the 'beep' not to continue. Only downside is you may go thru a few batteries while your dog learns and you have to remember to remove the collar before walks/car rides, etc!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,648,438 times
A moat?

How about a shock collar. I know some people are against them. I don't like them too much either. But, they do make sense in certain circumstances. And, it's not a real shock, like sticking a paper clip in an electrical outlet shock. I put one on my wrist, it's more of a tingle sensation. Since you have a fence already, maybe look into that option.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM

1,928 posts, read 2,620,664 times
google how those inverted extensions works , invision the prison fenceing that leans into your
yard by a foot or two.
makes it impossible [ well, most unlikely] for a dog jump,
this way you won't have to rely on batteries,shocks and so forth.
also check cattle fencing, this could be added at the top of your other fence, low voltage
cahrge if your dog hits it.
the 5 ft aluminum fencing WILL provide a place for a dog that can crawl.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM

28 posts, read 127,268 times
Our Great Dane would do the same thing with our split rail fence. We installed the invisible fence and it has been great! With the invisible fence, you can install above ground. The only area we had to dig was when we ran the wire into our front yard where we didn't have fencing. You can take the wire and staple it to the fence (have the staples straddle the wire making sure you don't puncture the wire). I believe the information on how to install the fencing this way is on the invisible fencing website (I don't recall which brand we used but is was the more popular DIY brand). Because the wire is close to the dog when they are jumping, the correction response is better than if it were in the ground. Just make sure you go through all the steps to training and you should be good. By using a used system from a yard sale and buying new wire and flags at the local home improvement store we were able to have the fence for about $50.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,695,060 times
Yes you need the invisible fence before the doggie gets out and gets killed. My neighbor bought the fence for their young cocker spaniel and I was in my yard when the dog learned about it..He yelped and hollered and cried for several minutes...........but not since then

Old 09-01-2010, 04:39 AM

533 posts, read 1,637,943 times
You could get a trainer and do perimeter training. Our dog picked it up quick with the front door...he will not go out the front door unless given a specific command. The same thing can be done in your yard. We use Sandy from Off Leash Obedience Training and have had great success.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,234,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
A moat?

How about a shock collar. I know some people are against them. I don't like them too much either. But, they do make sense in certain circumstances. And, it's not a real shock, like sticking a paper clip in an electrical outlet shock. I put one on my wrist, it's more of a tingle sensation. Since you have a fence already, maybe look into that option.
I've used the shock collar with good results. I purchased a quality brand from a hunting supply site for $159 that beeps and shocks and is waterproof. The reviews Iíve read from the ones available at Pet Smart were not good.

My Aussie used to constantly pull when going for walks and occasionally bolt from the yard when off leash. Not any more. Never had to go higher than "2" on the shock setting, which is a mild tingle. When trained correctly you'll only need to use it occasionally as verbal commands will do the trick.

For me, I didn't want to go with the expense of an invisible fence as if you have them installed, many require a paid service call to adjust the settings. Also, depending on the dog and their tolerance to pain, they may learn to run through the i-fence knowing freedom is only one brief shock away.

Additionally, the collar is portable, so when going on vacation, short trips or hikes, it is always available.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:00 AM

174 posts, read 527,433 times
I note the OP states that the shock collar only works when the dog sees the he/she is around. That is one smart pup! Maybe smart enough for invisible fencing to work. Mine were too dumb and ran out despite the shock but were afraid to come back in. We built a higher fence.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:23 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,234,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchseavey View Post
I note the OP states that the shock collar only works when the dog sees the he/she is around. That is one smart pup! Maybe smart enough for invisible fencing to work. Mine were too dumb and ran out despite the shock but were afraid to come back in. We built a higher fence.
The idea with the shock collar is to train to the point where you don't need it anymore as the dog will obey with it on or off, and if you are there or not. I'm not at that point either though (totally obeying when the dog is not in my site part), as it can take lots of time depending on the dog. But I can see it working with more training though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte