U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,278,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Been here 4 years haven't seen a ice storm yet.

Where were you in January (I think)? I couldn't get out of my driveway for the better part of two days, and I live right off a fairly well traveled street. Several inches of snow on top of ice, then it refroze overnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,925,228 times
Quote:
Charlotte averages about 6 inches of snow a year. I have been here 4 years now and have seen snow every year..
I've been here 4 decades. I stand by I posted above as it simply doesn't snow that much here and one can't count on it happening every year. None the less, I checked and The National Climate Data Center lists the median winter snowfall for Charlotte as 1.0 inch. This is over a period of the last 23 years. The annual median for the last 17 years is 2.1 inch which was due to one snow of 16+ inches being counted. The min is 0.

Not anywhere close to an average of 6.

Old 09-03-2010, 06:24 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,075,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Where were you in January (I think)? I couldn't get out of my driveway for the better part of two days, and I live right off a fairly well traveled street. Several inches of snow on top of ice, then it refroze overnight.
That doesn't qualify as an ice storm, though. I had the same problem in my driveway. Froze over and it took a couple tries to ramp up enough speed to get to the top.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
That doesn't qualify as an ice storm, though. I had the same problem in my driveway. Froze over and it took a couple tries to ramp up enough speed to get to the top.
Ice fell, covered the street, then snow fell on top of it. To me, that's an ice storm, albeit a small one. The street my house is on is a hill, so when I say I couldn't get out of my driveway, I mean there was no point in trying (which I did anyway, and had to leave my truck in the street overnight). The street was too icy to drive up.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:03 AM

9,564 posts, read 8,850,633 times
Quote:
Thats not an ice storm! Thats a snowstorm that melted and refroze....are you kidding me?!!!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:38 PM

737 posts, read 1,872,244 times
Quote:
Thats not an ice storm! Thats a snowstorm that melted and refroze....are you kidding me?!!!
At the risk of being verbally abused by JP, here it goes anyways. You asked the previous poster "are you kidding me". On a thread about Hurricane Earl, you posted "Are you people serious? We live in Charlotte, North Carolina not Wilmington. Hugo was a once in a lifetime occurance. I know those of you from Florida are wary of hurricanes but we are far far inland here...just look at a map...oy!@[/quote] I cant speak for anyone other than myself, but these comments seem hurtful. You could be more understanding that not all of us have experience with Winter weather, or how a hurricane might effect an area 200 miles inland. I utilize this site to inform myself, and when I start a thread, its usually because I dont know something, so yes; I'm serious! And as far as a "once in a lifetime", my Daughter is 10, she wasnt born yet when Hugo came ashore...

Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Which part of "ice fell" and "refroze" (suggesting it had previously been frozen) are you not getting?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Which part of "ice fell" and "refroze" (suggesting it had previously been frozen) are you not getting?
Ice did not fall last year..it was all snow.. no ice. None..nada,,,zip.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealialex View Post
At the risk of being verbally abused by JP, here it goes anyways. You asked the previous poster "are you kidding me". On a thread about Hurricane Earl, you posted "Are you people serious? We live in Charlotte, North Carolina not Wilmington. Hugo was a once in a lifetime occurance. I know those of you from Florida are wary of hurricanes but we are far far inland here...just look at a map...oy!@
I cant speak for anyone other than myself, but these comments seem hurtful. You could be more understanding that not all of us have experience with Winter weather, or how a hurricane might effect an area 200 miles inland. I utilize this site to inform myself, and when I start a thread, its usually because I dont know something, so yes; I'm serious! And as far as a "once in a lifetime", my Daughter is 10, she wasnt born yet when Hugo came ashore...[/quote]

I stand by my comments. Hugo was a whole different storm. All you had to do was look at a map and see that Earl was not coming this way. A lifetime is a lifetime 80-100 years. I don't get your point on that. The word lifetime is not literal. So if I was hurtful i apologize...not my intent.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I've been here 4 decades. I stand by I posted above as it simply doesn't snow that much here and one can't count on it happening every year. None the less, I checked and The National Climate Data Center lists the median winter snowfall for Charlotte as 1.0 inch. This is over a period of the last 23 years. The annual median for the last 17 years is 2.1 inch which was due to one snow of 16+ inches being counted. The min is 0.

Not anywhere close to an average of 6.
CHARLOTTE, NC

Charlotte averages 5.5 inches of snow per year.

http://lwf.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/.../snowfall.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte