U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 04:42 PM

77 posts, read 137,334 times

Advertisements

Hmm, this is a hot topic! Well, I won't get into the difference between the median and average. It seems to me like averages tend to be misleading- for example, I live in DC and I think the average snow here is technically 16 inches. I wouldn't say that's the reality of living here, though. Last year's blizzard aside, I would say we get 3 to 4 snows averaging about 10 inches total. Usually a bigger snow, 6 inches or so, and then a couple of 3-4 inch ones. Last year we got almost 60 inches. Two years ago I think we had 3 and it only snowed once. Both were anomolies. Thus, the problem with averages. I guess I will go on the consensus of this forum, which seems to be maybe 2 snow events a year, ranging from 1-3 inches. So maybe a realistic average of about 2 inches of snow per year? Does the grass routinely get covered or is it always peeking out? I hate that! I guess I was just trying to figure out if snow is part of "winter in Charlotte." It's not on the ground all season in DC either, but I know I can expect some decent snowfalls, a trip sledding, etc. Snow is not an everyday part of a DC winter but it is a part of winter. Is that the case in Charlotte or not? Or is snow in actuality as elusive as say, Georgia (i.e. it happens, but rarely)? Hate to beat a dead horse but this is one of the major issues affecting whether I will relocate there or not. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 05:09 PM

12,405 posts, read 7,457,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
Hmm, this is a hot topic! Well, I won't get into the difference between the median and average. It seems to me like averages tend to be misleading- for example, I live in DC and I think the average snow here is technically 16 inches. I wouldn't say that's the reality of living here, though. Last year's blizzard aside, I would say we get 3 to 4 snows averaging about 10 inches total. Usually a bigger snow, 6 inches or so, and then a couple of 3-4 inch ones. Last year we got almost 60 inches. Two years ago I think we had 3 and it only snowed once. Both were anomolies. Thus, the problem with averages. I guess I will go on the consensus of this forum, which seems to be maybe 2 snow events a year, ranging from 1-3 inches. So maybe a realistic average of about 2 inches of snow per year? Does the grass routinely get covered or is it always peeking out? I hate that! I guess I was just trying to figure out if snow is part of "winter in Charlotte." It's not on the ground all season in DC either, but I know I can expect some decent snowfalls, a trip sledding, etc. Snow is not an everyday part of a DC winter but it is a part of winter. Is that the case in Charlotte or not? Or is snow in actuality as elusive as say, Georgia (i.e. it happens, but rarely)? Hate to beat a dead horse but this is one of the major issues affecting whether I will relocate there or not. Thanks!
I can only speak for the past two winters...
I wouldn't consider snow as part of winter in Charlotte. Winter's seem to be very mild here compared to Northern areas. The grass is usually still peaking out from the snow. The snow doesn't usually last past noon so there's really not going to be a whole lot of sledding going on. If snowy winters and a Whole Foods to shop at are your top needs (which is fine) then you really wont be happy in Charlotte.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:29 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
I guess I was just trying to figure out if snow is part of "winter in Charlotte." It's not on the ground all season in DC either, but I know I can expect some decent snowfalls, a trip sledding, etc. Snow is not an everyday part of a DC winter but it is a part of winter. Is that the case in Charlotte or not? Or is snow in actuality as elusive as say, Georgia (i.e. it happens, but rarely)? Hate to beat a dead horse but this is one of the major issues affecting whether I will relocate there or not. Thanks!
I lived in your area for most of my life - grew up in Alexandria, relocated to Baltimore in the 90's and just moved down here to Charlotte 2 years ago. In those two years, I have not seenthe kind of snow you get back in the DC area (last year notwithstanding).

Since I have been here, I have seen a few snowfalls, a couple were a few inches at most (but usually just a dusting) and had mostly melted within 24 hours. I've let a few of my neighbors borrow a brush to clean the snow off of their cars because they didn't have one. I think its safe to say your Flexible Flyer will not get much use here. Now once you head up into the mountain areas...they get some decent snows. But not here.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
? how much snow falls yearly isn't debatable..its an actual number.
Very true, but it's also accurate for just one location - the airport (i believe)

With as random as the snow falls have been over the years, I can understand what CharlotteGal is implying and how unsurprising it would be for people in Matthews to give different anecdotal accounts than people in, say, the University area.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:01 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,011,441 times
It might 'technically' snow an average of 6 inches a year but I'd guess 3 inches of that melts when it hits the ground (or before), lol.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:53 AM

1,511 posts, read 2,875,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Ice fell, covered the street, then snow fell on top of it. To me, that's an ice storm, albeit a small one. The street my house is on is a hill, so when I say I couldn't get out of my driveway, I mean there was no point in trying (which I did anyway, and had to leave my truck in the street overnight). The street was too icy to drive up.
I remember this. We are from Illinois, lived there for over 15 years, and there was no way I was driving out that day. Ice is a no-no for driving on.

Old 09-08-2010, 12:39 PM

9,564 posts, read 8,851,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I remember this. We are from Illinois, lived there for over 15 years, and there was no way I was driving out that day. Ice is a no-no for driving on.
It was snow that melted and refroze,..there was no ice storm !!!! I am not letting go!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 671 times
North carolina is definately not florida. It can get very cold especially in the mornings. Teens and 20's. We are known for our ice storms here. Snow is usually hit or miss. Has to be moisture from the gulf colliding with cold air from the north. Hard to predict winter here. We may get dumped on in the form of snow or get little or no snow at all. Washington d.c. Is colder in the winter and hotter in the summer than charlotte. But how much difference in the weather can there be when only 7 hours by car is the amount of time to get from charlotte to washington. It takes 6 hours to get to northeastern north carolina FROM CHARLOTTE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte