Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Unless I'm missing something... may I ask why you say this.
regarding wasps and yellow jackets? because those are the animals you are most likely to encounter and endure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 08:54 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,377,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You will see a few big ones but not many. Here Is one a neighbor caught last week....This is one of the babys
OK...I REALLY didn't need to see this, lol!!! If I had seen that thing I would have gotten in my car & ran it over, lol!!

I'm here 4 years now...have seen a few Black Windows by my retaining wall & in the stack holders we had in the ground holding some tiki torches 2 yrs ago. Haven't seen a Brown Recluse, but I do see ALOT of those other brown spiders we get.

As for snakes, I saw 1 black snake 4 years ago (while there was still construction going on in the sub) & 1 Copperhead 2 yrs ago that DH ran over with his motorcycle. It was about 2 ft long. My neighbors down the block say they see both black snakes & copperheads all the time.

Fire ants are more of a problem here. Their bites are extremely painful & if you are allergic to bee stings you can have an allergic reaction to them.

Wasps & Hornets, just about the same amount of them here that I had back in NY.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:12 AM

7 posts, read 27,423 times
Of what you asked about I've only seen a black widow once. It was on the underside of one of those fake rocks people use to cover propane tank and septic access points.

I did see this guy last night on my driveway, anyone know what it is? I'm 99% certain it's not one of the two poisonous types of snakes here.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,647 times
This is a Garter snake. Harmless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrous View Post
Of what you asked about I've only seen a black widow once. It was on the underside of one of those fake rocks people use to cover propane tank and septic access points.

I did see this guy last night on my driveway, anyone know what it is? I'm 99% certain it's not one of the two poisonous types of snakes here.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
This is a Garter snake. Harmless.
It's a VERY hungry Garter Snake, lol!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 06:44 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,799,958 times
My dog was bitten by a Copperhead yesterday in a backyard in South Charlotte. I didn't actually see the snake, but the puncture wound, bleeding, swelling and pain were described by the emergency vet as "classic" presenting symptoms of a poisonous snake bite. He said they are seeing an increase in bites due to the dry weather we've been experiencing. Snakes are actively searching for water wherever they can find it.

My pup spent the night at the Emergency Vet on IV fluids, anti-inflammatories, pain meds and antibiotics and will be released later today. He'll be in some pain for the next few days, but will make a complete recovery. The vet said that with proper treatment, a copperhead bite is not a fatal event in a healthy dog. Hope he's learned a lesson to avoid things that slither!!

Old 09-07-2010, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
My dog was bitten by a Copperhead yesterday in a backyard in South Charlotte. I didn't actually see the snake, but the puncture wound, bleeding, swelling and pain were described by the emergency vet as "classic" presenting symptoms of a poisonous snake bite. He said they are seeing an increase in bites due to the dry weather we've been experiencing. Snakes are actively searching for water wherever they can find it.

My pup spent the night at the Emergency Vet on IV fluids, anti-inflammatories, pain meds and antibiotics and will be released later today. He'll be in some pain for the next few days, but will make a complete recovery. The vet said that with proper treatment, a copperhead bite is not a fatal event in a healthy dog. Hope he's learned a lesson to avoid things that slither!!
So glad to hear your pup is going to make a full recovery!! That's the one thing I fear with my crazy Westie. I let him out in the backyard in the mornings on a staked-in-the-ground leash. It's just long enought for him to get to the pine tree on the side of the hill but not long enough for him to get into the fully wooded area. He will chase anything that goes past him or at least go investigate it. I know if he saw a snake, he'd definitely go after it.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:28 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
I have seen Copperheads all around my house and driveway for years. I live near a wooded area so they are pretty common. I probably have had more issues with Wasp and Yellow Jackets than anything. I usually get stung at least once a year if not more. I guess that's what happens if you spend most of your spare time outdoors in the woods.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:55 PM

46 posts, read 101,899 times
I actually do know how to ID snakes. I've killed 4 copperheads over the 12 years we've lived in our house. A neighbor's dog was bitten a few years ago. The first few years we were here, we never saw a copperhead, but we had a huge black snake behind our house. An idiot neighbor killed the black snake and then the copperheads started showing up. We finally saw a decent-sized black snake this year, and so far (knock wood) no copperheads this year. Black snakes can kill copperheads so don't kill the black snakes--they are very good snakes.

There is a great identification site if you want more info on snakes on NC.

North Carolina Online Snake Identification System

(Please remove link if I'm not allowed to post it.) Know that with the copperheads, the juvenile snakes will have an odd-looking tail. It looks like it was dipped in antifreeze and is a sick acid yellow-green. Quite distinctive.

Now the spiders freak me out. My husband replaced a board over our front door and did find some black widows. I didn't see them and am very grateful for that.

We back up to a wooded area with a creek, so prime copperhead area.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:06 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,136,328 times
If you see this bad boy you better try to run but it wont do any good This snake can chase you down at 30mph....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte