U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 11:02 AM

406 posts, read 1,255,799 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how often one may come in counters with a Black Widow or Brown Recluse Spider in the Charlotte metro. Also how likely would I be to come in contact with a Copperhead or Timber Rattlesnake. Also all personal stories are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 11:16 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,174,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Can anyone tell me how often one may come in counters with a Black Widow or Brown Recluse Spider in the Charlotte metro. Also how likely would I be to come in contact with a Copperhead or Timber Rattlesnake. Also all personal stories are welcome.

A handful of people a year seem to get bitten by spiders - it's not very common. Copperheads are around, but in all my years here I've rarely seen them. Most snakes are shy - just make a lot of noise by thumping the ground if you have to walk thru tall grass and they scatter.

Also, people forget, snakes are nocturnal - the worst time to walk across your lawn barefooted is at night

Old 09-02-2010, 02:54 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
You won't see a brown recluse in Charlotte unless you bring it with you.

Black widows are common, but they stay to themselves under rocks in dry places.

Depending on your level of outdoor activity it isn't uncommon to spot a copperhead or two every year, but you may not see one for years on end. I spend A LOT of time outdoors and I haven't seen a copperhead in forever.

I've never seen a rattlesnake, but I hear you can find them around if you know where to look.

I'd worry more about yellow jackets and wasps, personally.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,408,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
BS. My wife got bit by a brown recluse that made its home in our storage shed. We have a colony of black widows that nests inside of our spa. They're harmless though. Copperheads & other snakes aren't seen very often & no one including our neighbors have been bitten. My cousin in Wilmington gets coral snakes in his pool. He fetches them out with the dipper.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,976,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
BS. My wife got bit by a brown recluse that made its home in our storage shed. We have a colony of black widows that nests inside of our spa. They're harmless though. Copperheads & other snakes aren't seen very often & no one including our neighbors have been bitten. My cousin in Wilmington gets coral snakes in his pool. He fetches them out with the dipper.
let me ask you... how do you know it was a brown recluse? did you see it? did you capture it and have it identified?

Here is an article written by a professional regarding brown recluse spiders. I think it mentions how frequently "recluse bites" are misdiagnosed...

http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5...l/recluse.html

Last edited by Native_Son; 09-02-2010 at 03:19 PM..

Old 09-02-2010, 04:52 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,998,672 times
We've seen exactly one black widow spider in 6 years. We've seen many harmless snakes but none poisonous. One neighbor claims to have killed a copperhead but I didn't see it. Given how often people misidentify snakes I'm not completely confident in the report.

I really thought we'd have more spiders and snakes given that we live on a wooded lot with water nearby.

Ditto on the yellow jackets and wasps. Consider that I am very afraid of wasps, we go through 3-4 cans of wasp spray a year between home and camping. You can get it on sale at Lowes for $1 right now, I stocked up, lol. We've also had two yellow jacket nests in or around the house, just in the last two years.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Black widows are common, but they stay to themselves under rocks in dry places.

Depending on your level of outdoor activity it isn't uncommon to spot a copperhead or two every year, but you may not see one for years on end. I spend A LOT of time outdoors and I haven't seen a copperhead in forever.

I've never seen a rattlesnake, but I hear you can find them around if you know where to look.

I'd worry more about yellow jackets and wasps, personally.

Unless I'm missing something... may I ask why you say this. Are they extra large or aggressive here?

Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,676,157 times
You will see a few big ones but not many. Here Is one a neighbor caught last week....This is one of the babys
Attached Thumbnails
Poisonous Snakes & Spiders-snake.jpg  

Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You will see a few big ones but not many. Here Is one a neighbor caught last week....This is one of the babys

Hahaha... sure this is a baby lol

Old 09-02-2010, 11:30 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,644,343 times
Quote:
let me ask you... how do you know it was a brown recluse? did you see it? did you capture it and have it identified?

Here is an article written by a professional regarding brown recluse spiders. I think it mentions how frequently "recluse bites" are misdiagnosed...

Identifying and Misidentifying the Brown Recluse Spider

Should he have sent the corpse to an Arachnologist for identification?

I have seen them here. Having lived in Texas for three years, I know exactly what they look like. I found not one, but two in my garage. One was in a cardboard box and one was in a pile of cut up 2X4's. One I killed, the other escaped. If I ever find the other one, I will send you a pic of it.

ETA; For OP's information, I have not seen a Black Widow or Copperhead yet. I have seen two rattlesnakes. Really small ones if that helps. It's very true that if you tap a stick on the ground, they'll split before you even come close to them. They are very sensitive to ground vibrations. In fact, they can feel your footsteps and usually slither away.

Last edited by Mike409; 09-02-2010 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte