U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:25 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,923,688 times

Advertisements

There was a medical school in Charlotte once. It was called the North Carolina Medical School and was started by Davidson College (now Davidson University) in the early 1900s. It was located on Trade St. in Charlotte later located to Presbyterian Hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 07:14 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,642,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tban View Post
There are still people out there that thinks UNC Charlotte is a satellite campus of UNC Chapel Hill.

I also hate how some hyphenate UNC Charlotte. Drives me crazy.
OT but +1, it drives me crazy too!

Old 09-04-2010, 07:52 AM

440 posts, read 1,007,538 times
I think it'd be great. We have shortage of doctors in some specialities here so it might help with that. Also for doctors keeping up with their education it'd be good. Plus new brooms sweep clean & when new doctors converse with older doctors in our community they will both benefit & therefore so will we.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:16 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,286,257 times
Charlotte needs a top tier university, period.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:35 AM

551 posts, read 1,191,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That will happen with time. The colleges and universities here have to raise their standards and make the right choices. They will have to secure funding for research and projects that will increase the value of the schools.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:50 PM

4,677 posts, read 8,028,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I can't tell you UNCC is getting there. Many of the science programs are getting there. If you ever walk the campus you'll be surprised at what you see. Nevertheless, you're absolutely right.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,686,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I can't tell you UNCC is getting there. Many of the science programs are getting there. If you ever walk the campus you'll be surprised at what you see. Nevertheless, you're absolutely right.
I think that UNCC is making strides in trying to become a top-tier university as well. I think building a campus Uptown is a good thing in that you will get a lot of students downtown! I've visited that campus a couple of times and it is a nice campus, in fact, I rode out to ECU with a friend to drop her son off on campus and I thought that campus resembled UNCC a little bit! They have also said that UNCC will eventually have the largest enrollment in the state! I think that in time, UNCC will become a top-tier university!

Old 09-07-2010, 07:29 PM

128 posts, read 240,703 times
I wish they'd just drop the "UNC" part and call it University of Charlotte.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:20 AM

18 posts, read 63,394 times
Woo hoo!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
LOL! Tell me about it. I would also like for it not to be affiliated with UNC as well. I would like for it to either be a program of UNC Charlotte, or an independent school of its own. Similar to Charlotte School of Law.
I think a medical school will come with time. But not until the economy improves. UNC has been cutting graduate programs throughout the system because of budget cuts. ECU got its medical school to fulfill a niche, training rural doctors. There are already 3 top-quality medical schools within 3 hours of here, so it will be a tough sell. And UNC Charlotte is the only university in town here that could support a medical school. There is a hospital essentially on campus. I think it will come in time. But 10 or 20 years from now.

I don't understand why people are against UNC Charlotte keeping the UNC brand. UNC has a worldwide reputation as one of the best university systems in the country. There are worse places to be associated with, no? At least people have some idea what you're talking about when you say "UNC Charlotte." They will have no idea what you're talking about if you say "University of Charlotte," and might even think it's a diploma mill like University of Phoenix, etc. Without the affiliation to the UNC system, UNC Charlotte would not be where it is today, and no one in town could afford to attend.

The last thing we need is the med school version of Charlotte School of Law. No offense to anyone who goes there, but an unaccredited, for-profit law school is no smart investment when you'll be competing with Chapel Hill, Wake and Duke grads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte