Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 AM

406 posts, read 1,430,961 times

Advertisements

I'm lookin at a few prospects on where to move, Charlotte happens to be right up there at the top, however there are a few things I do not like. I do not like the fact that there are soo many transplants due to the fact I would like to be around some born N' bread southerners if im gonna move down south. On the other hand it may make the move an easy transition. Another thought and major concern is SAFETY. The crime in Charlotte is crazy according to statistics. To easily avoid this problem I have decided I need to be in a suburb or a small city right outside of the city. Iv'e chosen Concord, Nc for several reasons. THE QUESTION IS: Is crime rates really as low as statistics show from what you can see or experience? Also are there less transplants in this area? How is Cost-Of-Liveing, is it less than Charlotte? If so is it by much or just barely? Pleeaaase fill me in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 09:03 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,955,614 times
I live in Concord and have for 4 years. I think you will find a good mix of born and raised in the area and transplants. Cabarrus county has cheaper taxes than Meck and in some cases the schools are better.

The only thing that has happened in our neighborhood in the 4 years that we have lived here is some teenagers breaking into cars last summer. A police officer told us last fall that Cabarrus county is tougher on criminals in most cases than Meck county.

Cost of living is subjective and with not knowing where you currently live is tough to answer.

What are you looking for when you move here? Will you have a job? Do you have a family? Schools? House/apartment? Buy/rent?

Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I live in Concord and have for 4 years. I think you will find a good mix of born and raised in the area and transplants. Cabarrus county has cheaper taxes than Meck and in some cases the schools are better.

The only thing that has happened in our neighborhood in the 4 years that we have lived here is some teenagers breaking into cars last summer. A police officer told us last fall that Cabarrus county is tougher on criminals in most cases than Meck county.

Cost of living is subjective and with not knowing where you currently live is tough to answer.

What are you looking for when you move here? Will you have a job? Do you have a family? Schools? House/apartment? Buy/rent?

No family there in Concord, I will be goin to school at UNCC. I intend to line up the job, once I get hired on somewhere Immediately apply for college however I probably wont hear anything until AFTER i relocate for my job and thats fine. I will be renting because I need to make sure its where I want to be for at least the next 10 years of my life and I want to wait until my credit cleans itself up a little bit. When I think rent I automatically think apartments, thats probably because I wouldnt know about how to rent a house and what the benefits vs the downsides are. But Concord is at the top of my list as is Knoxville, Tn. I'm still not 100% even though I have been researching now for awile but I am close. It is a big life decision. Relocating, School, Getting a house, Liveing in another state etc. Gotta make sure It's done right and everything is planned out.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,949 times
Hey you sound just like me a year ago! Knoxville and Charlotte were both on the top of my list. I ended up taking a job in Salisbury, NC and so I decided to live in Concord because it was half way between Charlotte and Salisbury. Concord isn't terrible especially if you are going to UNCC. The cost of living is better than living in Charlotte proper. Taxes seem better and rental prices are lower. Avoid renting near the Speedway and Concord Mills Mall if you want to save yourself some headaches. There are some decent rentals near hwy 73 and 85. It's convenient to be able to jump right on 85 without having to hassle with driving through town.

My only hesitancy would be that if you end up getting a job in the south part of Charlotte (i.e. Ballantyne, Meyers Park or Fort Mill) then living in Concord is a pain in the butt. Rush hour traffic is horrendous around the 85 / 77 interchange. And in the winter, if it flakes or rains people tend to freak out and run into each other on the highway.

Just remember that the Charlotte metro area has grown so rapidly that the roads are overwhelmed. Be prepared for more traffic than you might expect for a town this size.

I have lots more advice if you want it!

Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual99 View Post
Hey you sound just like me a year ago! Knoxville and Charlotte were both on the top of my list. I ended up taking a job in Salisbury, NC and so I decided to live in Concord because it was half way between Charlotte and Salisbury. Concord isn't terrible especially if you are going to UNCC. The cost of living is better than living in Charlotte proper. Taxes seem better and rental prices are lower. Avoid renting near the Speedway and Concord Mills Mall if you want to save yourself some headaches. There are some decent rentals near hwy 73 and 85. It's convenient to be able to jump right on 85 without having to hassle with driving through town.

My only hesitancy would be that if you end up getting a job in the south part of Charlotte (i.e. Ballantyne, Meyers Park or Fort Mill) then living in Concord is a pain in the butt. Rush hour traffic is horrendous around the 85 / 77 interchange. And in the winter, if it flakes or rains people tend to freak out and run into each other on the highway.

Just remember that the Charlotte metro area has grown so rapidly that the roads are overwhelmed. Be prepared for more traffic than you might expect for a town this size.

I have lots more advice if you want it!

Where did you live prior to moving? you mentioned the traffic for a city this size compared to other cities of similar size. I understand that CHT is constantly working on expanding and improving as thy grow even if the development is a little behind so it seems. This is my only thought for now, how is everything goin for you?

Old 08-31-2010, 11:37 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,320,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetual99 View Post
Rush hour traffic is horrendous around the 85 / 77 interchange. And in the winter, if it flakes or rains people tend to freak out and run into each other on the highway.
I live in Concord and drive 85->77->277 everyday. The traffic isnt usually bad on the way to work. It slows down a little going from 85 to 77 but usually isnt too bad. It takes me about 30-35 minutes to get to work. Getting home is different. The transtion from 277 to 77 is usually slow. Getting from 77 to 85 isnt usually too bad unless there is something going on at that part of 85 which doesnt happen alot. I85 can start to slow down as early as Harris Rd. This will add about 15-20 to the commute time. Fridays always seem the worst. Mallard Creek Church Rd and the 485 interchange can also slow things down. Once you get to the mall 85 turns into 2 lanes and that always slows things down. My average time to get home is about 45 minutes. Having moved from Washington DC I do not mind the commute time. It was taking me atleast an hour to get home using public transport most of the way.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM

445 posts, read 1,166,192 times
Funny - a "transplant" that doesn't want to be around other transplants

Old 09-02-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
Funny - a "transplant" that doesn't want to be around other transplants

Not really if you think about it. A person does not want to move to another region of the USA only to be greeted with more of the same culture/people as the place he/she currently left. ESPECIALLY if a person is relocating to a specific region because they are looking for that change. You would be highly dissapointed if you moved to the Eastcoast looking hopeing to experience that culture only to find nothing but people from the Westcoast. Or if you moved to NY hopefing for that paticular type of lifestyle and when you got there it was overran with southerners and their way of life and their culture. Its not what you moved to that area for.... It makes plenty of sense, Maby I cant explain it better than maby somebody else can but I know somebody gets what I'm sayin.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantyall2know View Post
Not really if you think about it. A person does not want to move to another region of the USA only to be greeted with more of the same culture/people as the place he/she currently left. ESPECIALLY if a person is relocating to a specific region because they are looking for that change. You would be highly dissapointed if you moved to the Eastcoast looking hopeing to experience that culture only to find nothing but people from the Westcoast. Or if you moved to NY hopefing for that paticular type of lifestyle and when you got there it was overran with southerners and their way of life and their culture. Its not what you moved to that area for.... It makes plenty of sense, Maby I cant explain it better than maby somebody else can but I know somebody gets what I'm sayin.
I could have written the above post as well . I am not interested in moving to NC/SC for the weather, affordability of homes, etc. For myself (and a few friends), it's all about culture (and faith).

Old 09-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I could have written the above post as well . I am not interested in moving to NC/SC for the weather, affordability of homes, etc. For myself (and a few friends), it's all about culture (and faith).

Okay for me, the slower pace of life, the culture & the people are my main reasons. And with many newcomers would ANYBODY argue that this would not take away from all of the above? True I will also be one, but it's what i'm looking for... followed by the natural beauty, the weather, the food & the more common things people want when they move. But thanks for understanding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte