U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 08:05 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,125,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbull75 View Post
Add me to the list with Earth Fare... It's easily as good if not better than Whole Foods. My personal take is that WF is a bit overrated anyways.
I agree, Whole Foods is overrated. Like I said in the other thread where some ridiculous poster decided not to move here b/c we were lacking a WF, I'd much rather have a store that is local to North Carolina. Earth Fare carries local meats and produce as well as all kinds of national brand organic and all natural foods and products. In addition, we have several wonderful farmer's markets and CSAs you can join to get farm fresh produce year round. After all, living an organic lifestyle isn't just about buying organic foods flown in from Peru at a corporate megastore.

Deciding not to move somewhere because they don't have your favorite grocery store reminds me of a three-year-old throwing a tantrum because they received a red lollipop instead of blue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 PM

77 posts, read 137,253 times
I have been to EarthFare before, and it's ok, but IMHO Whole Foods is better. There's no need to be snippy about it (esp. lovesmountains!). To me it's a symbol of what kind of city Charlotte is- is it up and coming, are there places for "urban nerds" (as my brother calls me), etc. I don't have the luxury of picking what city a job in my industry comes up in, i.e. just moving to Raleigh. And I don't know about states that have Whole Foods only having ONE per state- I can count at least 2 here within 20 min. in VA. But thank you for letting me know about EarthFare and Trader Joe's.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:52 PM

7,946 posts, read 15,001,480 times
I've lived in places with Whole Foods before but never shopped there and didn't understand what all the fuss was about. I really could care less that Charlotte doesn't have one. This city gets by fine on EarthFare, Trader Joe's, Healthy Home Market, the Morrocroft Harris Teeter, and the many smaller farmers markets around. I see no reason for Charlotte to have a Whole Foods.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:59 PM

972 posts, read 2,136,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh good grief.

Believe it or not, most of us eat just fine and manage to survive without stores like Whole Foods.

With the exception of California, the states that do have Whole Foods all have on average ONE location. The location in NC is in Raleigh. Perhaps you should look to make the move there if this is so important for your existance.
I lived just down the road from the Whole Foods in Raleigh (Cary) for years. All that time, I never realized it was such a big deal for fresh food. That could be because I never made it past the bakery department.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:00 PM

12,386 posts, read 7,443,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novadc View Post
I have been to EarthFare before, and it's ok, but IMHO Whole Foods is better. There's no need to be snippy about it (esp. lovesmountains!). To me it's a symbol of what kind of city Charlotte is- is it up and coming, are there places for "urban nerds" (as my brother calls me), etc. I don't have the luxury of picking what city a job in my industry comes up in, i.e. just moving to Raleigh. And I don't know about states that have Whole Foods only having ONE per state- I can count at least 2 here within 20 min. in VA. But thank you for letting me know about EarthFare and Trader Joe's.
There are 13 states that don't even have a single whole foods. I would hardly consider most of those states insufficient, or whatever you want to claim it as. So what if you have to drive 90 min to get to a whole foods, its not the "OMG theres a Whole Foods we've made it" moment in cities that have one. Its actually kind of sad if a city were to use Whole Foods as their status symbol. I would rather support locally actually. I find the Whole Foods moment to be a bunch of BS. What is their purpose? To give cities fresh organic food? You can get that at the farmer's market, and it won't be traveling half way across the world to get here. I'd rather buy local food then food from China.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,455,646 times
Quote:
Looking at a possible relocation to Charlotte (I have another thread on here about winter), but I just read on one of the previous posts that there's no Whole Foods in Charlotte?? Now I'm wondering what kind of place am I considering moving to? I love Whole Foods, I shop almost exclusively there. I remember from a visit to Charlotte a few years ago that there was a Dean and Deluca, but it was small and not what I'd say was a real market to do all your shopping in. Is there no organic shopping there? I'm thinking I don't have to give up culture, museums, the whole "city living" of DC but then I hear this. I'm questioning the whole move now- this could be a symbol of what Charlotte has to offer? This sort of city amenity is important to me. Does anyone know of a nice market there (i.e. not Harris Teeter)? Does anyone know if a Whole Foods is being built? Thank you!
Having lived in the DC and Baltimore areas for over 30 years - I much prefer Charlotte.

If your entire decision to move here is seriously being reconsidered due to something as minor as the lack of a Whole Foods...well....maybe you should stay inside the beltway.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:26 PM

77 posts, read 137,253 times
Wow, I just don't get the hostility towards my post and regarding Whole Foods in general. You would think a forum would be more welcoming. Seems to me to be something of an inferiority complex as to how much of a city Charlotte is. But I digress. I never said Whole Foods was the deciding point as to whether I would move. It's just one of many factors and the whole point initially (if you actually read the original post) was whether there were any nice organic markets there. I cited Whole Foods because how would I know there was a regional chain named EarthFare there? Thanks again to everyone that was helpful and this will be my last comment on the Whole Foods fiasco of 2010.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,064,598 times
Quote:
Wow, I just don't get the hostility towards my post and regarding Whole Foods in general. You would think a forum would be more welcoming. Seems to me to be something of an inferiority complex as to how much of a city Charlotte is. But I digress. I never said Whole Foods was the deciding point as to whether I would move. It's just one of many factors and the whole point initially (if you actually read the original post) was whether there were any nice organic markets there. I cited Whole Foods because how would I know there was a regional chain named EarthFare there? Thanks again to everyone that was helpful and this will be my last comment on the Whole Foods fiasco of 2010.
The only person who made it a fiasco (people chewing you out is not a fiasco, btw), and inspiring hostility is the person who implied that Charlotte must have been a "lessor" city because it didn't have a grocery market, and then proceeded to imply that another grocery chain that was there wasn't what they considered to be a "nice market"

Old 09-07-2010, 10:10 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,086,726 times
Hey people, chill out... if someone's used to having access to certain kinds of food, it's perfectly reasonable that they would want the same access wherever they move to.

There are a lot of reasons to want a Whole Foods (or something similar like Earth Fare), you can get organic produce just about anywhere, but the big grocery store like WF/EF also have healthier packaged foods, different kinds of meat, vegan options, and a lot of "ethnic" foods.

If you don't want people to move here and complain about what Charlotte doesn't have, then you should be willing to respond with civility when someone is honest about what they're looking for and wants our opinion.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:34 PM

412 posts, read 811,232 times
Quote:
The problem today is the fact that this is Whole Foods Fiasco: Part Deux. This exact same topic was run into the ground about a week ago, with many hostilities and even a moderator shut-down. I think people are still a bit sensitive on the topic. Let's just leave it at the fact that there are plenty of suitable options for your grocery needs in the Charlotte area, and you more than likely won't even notice the lack of a WF. (And personally, I'd rather be where you are!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or