Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 09:14 AM

168 posts, read 503,999 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any insight into this zip code. A little more specific would be along the Plaza from Shamrock down to Parkwood, all the side streets and homes along this area. Looking at a couple investment homes in that area. I know its a crap shoot my main question is about crime. Thanks for the help and info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 09:49 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,151,945 times
My general recommendation for this area would be to stay west or south of the country club. Lotsa rentals in the streets right off Shamrock and Eastway... I'd venture to say that's where the majority of the crime in this area is.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,402,089 times
There are tons of "investment" properties in this area. If I were going to invest (and it would have to be a great deal) I would look into Villa Heights for rental income properties. I have lived near this area and for years everyone has labeled it as "up and coming". I think now especially with the market bust it will be a long time before this is a decent area as it was never really established. As for Parkwood Av just let me say this....I have friends that live off of 35th st (which is not the safest area) and they say "Parkwood, we don't go on Parkwood Av".

Old 09-08-2010, 11:36 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
The "natives" have said a mouthful - hope you are listening

Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 PM

168 posts, read 503,999 times
Thanks for the info so far, Looking at villa heights which is north of Parkwood from what I can tell would the area south of Parkwood between parkwood and central be more desirable? Near Hawthorne High?

Thanks for the reference on the country club, I was looking directly North looks like I will continue my search.

Just throwing out another Zip Code but any thoughts on the 28208 Zipcode for the same type of investment property? Like Ashley Park, Smallwood, Wesley Heights, Seversville, and Biddleville area. I know dont go walking at night but is it something you wouldn't even want to drive through during the day?

Thanks again!

Old 09-08-2010, 12:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZEP View Post
Thanks for the info so far, Looking at villa heights which is north of Parkwood from what I can tell would the area south of Parkwood between parkwood and central be more desirable? Near Hawthorne High?

Thanks for the reference on the country club, I was looking directly North looks like I will continue my search.

Just throwing out another Zip Code but any thoughts on the 28208 Zipcode for the same type of investment property? Like Ashley Park, Smallwood, Wesley Heights, Seversville, and Biddleville area. I know dont go walking at night but is it something you wouldn't even want to drive through during the day?

Thanks again!

Of all those listed I'd go with Wesley Heights. Before the recession it was the most up and coming. From what I've heard there is also a more active HOA there working to improve the neighborhood.

None of them are places I wouldn't drive thru in the daytime, I just wouldn't live there or stop in them at night.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:25 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,337,091 times
Nowhere in town can be considered an area to avoid during the day. I went to visit a friend who lives on Ashley , and stopped to get gas. Had my music playing , heard a few comments regarding the song I was playing , but it was of no consequence. Those areas are not that bad , unless you look for trouble , walk the streets , or act too scared. If you do drive through at night , stay alert. Not only exists a possibility of crime , but harrassment by the cops. Especially if you drive a car considered too 'new' for the area. Sad to say , but that's the way certain H.Sapiens think.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM

550 posts, read 1,351,171 times
I agree, stay away from Parkwood Ave. I went to Hawthorne when it was a middle school and had friends that lived in the area. I rememberd seeing drug dealers and prostitutes. Even witnessed a mugging while driving on Parkwood (this was more than 5 years ago). Pretty much the area between Parkwood and Hawthorne I would stay away from for now.

Not the best places although I do see some progress.

Old 09-09-2010, 02:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,633,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
I have lived near this area and for years everyone has labeled it as "up and coming". I think now especially with the market bust it will be a long time before this is a decent area as it was never really established.
Yes, and this is a shame! There is a *sweet* neighborhood in Villa Heights, along Woodside Ave. I was excited to see some development and restoration of that area (across Parkwood from Hawthorne Lane) a few years ago, but now ... well, I don't feel real hopeful about it. You never know, with the condos behind Amelie's there may be more investing there. I hope so! It would be a shame to watch it go downhill, when there's so much potential there.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:28 PM

308 posts, read 614,448 times
28205 also includes the area between Monroe Road and Independence up to Eastway Drive. It is an older neighbourhood but not bad. There are some young people moving in and renovating the houses. Very large oak trees and pretty quiet. To be more specific, I am talking about the area behind Babyland on Monroe road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: