Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:24 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times

Advertisements

In Depth: America's 25 Best Places To Move - No. 2: Huntersville, N.C. - Forbes.com

A friend told me about this. Thought it was worth mentioning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 09:26 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,553,359 times
I know I spelled Huntersville wrong, too fast with the keyboard.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:29 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,351 times
Cool, I can't wait to move there, 2009 here I come baby!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:37 AM

299 posts, read 590,189 times
From the title I thought this was going to be a nod to another misspelled sign

Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
In Depth: America's 25 Best Places To Move - No. 2: Huntersville, N.C. - Forbes.com

A friend told me about this. Thought it was worth mentioning.

I love the nickname the article gives these "25 Best Places" - Relovilles, lol.

Yes, I love Huntersville, and it is a nice place to live, but it really bothers me that apparently 67% of the people there now are relocators. I can't even imagine how the few natives around must feel now that they can't even recognize their hometown any more

In addition, I found this statement interesting...

"The brutal 2008-2009 recession has taken a toll on Relovilles, but not much of one. Home prices in the Relovilles around Denver, Atlanta and Charlotte have barely budged."

A few financial armchair quarterbacks here will disagree with that, but overall, and compared to other parts of the country, I would say that's accurate.

The high end market, which sorely needed adjusting, is seeing the biggest price reductions. But in median priced homes and below (which Charlotte has plenty of) the movement downward has not been that bad. Charlotte and its metro remain a great place to buy a home

Old 09-10-2010, 10:04 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
With the demise of Jackson's Java here in H-Ville, it really sucks that there's now no non-national chain coffee houses. I hope that can change sometime soon.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,647 times
Here's the thread from last year:

Huntersville #2 Place To Move in US - Tops in N.C.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,212,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Yes, I love Huntersville, and it is a nice place to live, but it really bothers me that apparently 67% of the people there now are relocators. I can't even imagine how the few natives around must feel now that they can't even recognize their hometown any more ....
Yes.
  • In 1990, the US census placed Huntersville's population at ~3,500.
  • In 1998, there was a special census held in Huntersville and I believe that figure came to ~32,000. (in that ball park)
  • Because of that kind of growth, and the fear that Huntersville would end up looking like Charlotte, the city council placed a moratorium on new building permits for 1.5 years. During that time they would study how to stop it.
  • The result was the town adopted some of the most restrictive zoning in the county. Only much smaller Davidson is stricter.
  • The city moved to annex the remainder of it's sphere of influence. This was done primarily to keep Kannapolis/Concord out of it's territory.
  • The state of NC gave it zoning authority over the remainder of the un-annexed land.
The end result of this was that Huntersville during the 2000s and when the worst of the building boom was taking place, was spared all of the excessive McMansion/vinyl building that characterizes most of the rest of outer Mecklenburg, Union county, and the portions on the other side of the SC border. The city had to endure a number of lawsuits from developers and land owners who didn't like it. This isn't much big box retail in the city except around exit 25 where that land was zoned by Mecklenburg county.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:25 PM

415 posts, read 1,150,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
With the demise of Jackson's Java here in H-Ville, it really sucks that there's now no non-national chain coffee houses. I hope that can change sometime soon.
Agreed. It appeared that there was a good chance that something would go into the building that was planned to be put up next to the Discovery Place Kids building (along with several other restaurants), but recently Regions Bank foreclosed on Norcom, the developer.

Regions says it will eventually go ahead with the project, but who knows if it will ever happen.

Too bad, as it would have been a much needed shot in the arm for the redevelopment of downtown Huntersville.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:24 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
I wonder why does the caption under the photo (which appears to be Birkdale Village) say "©Courtesy of the Alpharetta Convention & Visitors Bureau"? Oh, and they list Apex, NC in the third spot and Cary in number eight. Not bad NC!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte