Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:09 AM

348 posts, read 1,357,598 times

Advertisements

Dues on unsold lots/houses are to be paid by either the developer that owns the lot or the builder that owns the house. Most rules for HOA's stipulate howmuch the dues can be raised each year. So they cannot change it to LOTS and LOTS more on you. Our rules for example state a 6% increase can happen each year. And it does.Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 04:04 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,160,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToYorkSC View Post
Dues on unsold lots/houses are to be paid by either the developer that owns the lot or the builder that owns the house. Most rules for HOA's stipulate howmuch the dues can be raised each year. So they cannot change it to LOTS and LOTS more on you. Our rules for example state a 6% increase can happen each year. And it does.Good luck!
It depends on the HOA. In some bylaws, the developer doesn't have to pay dues on unbuilt lots.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:27 PM

539 posts, read 1,492,476 times
Is the builder still building in the neighborhood or have they left? HOA dues are usually set when the community first is planned and the builder typically controls the HOA till 75% of the lots are sold. If the builder has walked and you have control of the HOA you can actually disolve the HOA with 100% of the homeowners voting for this. Depending on the ammenities you have and with so few homes this could be a viable option.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:10 PM

23,109 posts, read 28,843,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Run away...run away. HOAs are the bane of society and the easy out for the city not doing what you pay taxes for. Think of it like this...it's yet ANOTHER tax that you have to pay to get the same services!
I live in a townhouse complex here in Las Vegas and if HOA fees are considered an additional tax, I'm more than happy to pay them for some peace, quiet and more controls in my neighborhood.

I work the night shift, sleep all day, and when I've called the police over a neighbor who's decided to run a noisy business out of his garage, they tell me they can't do anything until after 10pm, which is when I go to work. And, if indeed, they're running a business, I need the proof as to whether or not the work they're doing is for their townhouse or for profit. Do you know how difficult that is to achieve, the proof?

Our HOA acts very quickly on Noise complaints with fines attached.

HOA's are not unique to this country and there's a reason they're catching on in other parts of the world.

Just drive around the newer areas of Tijuana, Mexico, and what will you see?
Most of the new developments are gated with HOA's, middle class and poor alike. And go furthur south into Central America and you'll see the same.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:10 AM

985 posts, read 1,891,031 times
DO the HOA dues pay for the pools and the other amenities that the subdivision has..or is belonging to those an additional price?

Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,372,808 times
The pools, ammenities, landscaping of common areas, taxes/insurance, utilities, maintenance come out of the HOA dues. In my neighborhood the 2011 pool budget (less insurance) is $75k for a development of 500 homes. Total budget is over $500k. HOAs are great when you have top shelf ammenities and neighbors committed to the committees. There is no question that it preserves and enhances your home investment when run right. You read about negativity on HOAs but it is usually poorly run HOAs and neighbors that don't want to dedicate their time or invest the money to support HOA.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:04 PM

3,427 posts, read 4,423,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToYorkSC View Post
The developer wrote the restrictive covenants and typically ensures that the developer itself has no funding obligation to the HOA corporation. Everyone else is an involuntary member and involuntary funder of the HOA corp. Unless you have a state law that dictates otherwise, the developer stays in control of the HOA corp as long as the developer wants. During that time the developer also usually has unilateral control over the restrictive covenants and any amendments to the restrictive covenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte