U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 06:53 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,723,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
So because someone told you something that is as best anecdotal evidence that makes you and expert?

Then let me present my “evidence.” I have met many people who worked on the Manhattan Project back when they did not fully understand the risks. A lot of these guys are living into the 90s.

I have studied health physics and have read studies on cancers rates around nuclear power plants. That may not make be an expert but it does make me well informed. Cancer clusters do occur in rate higher around a nuclear power plant than they do anywhere else. Nuclear workers generally receive doses of radiation on an annual basis that is comparable or less than living in Denver as opposed to living in Charlotte (you receive more cosmic radiation at higher elevations).

BTW, Savanna River is not a nuclear power plant.
I have been told by folks who work at SRS that there are higher levels of cancer from employees than the rest of the folks in town. I have also done some reading about it and everything I have read says what they say.

This doesn't make me afraid as I don't work there. You can't even drive by the site - not that I want to. They have hundreds of acres and it's all wooded on the roads that go by it. You'd never know SRS was in there.

Savannah River Site WAS a nuclear power plant! The last reactor was deactivated in the 90's. They know do research there. There is TONS of nuclear waste there as that's what they are researching. After they complete their research, the waste is transported to Yucca Mountain in Nevada which Obama wants to close and leave us stuck with all of the waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM

157 posts, read 269,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post

Savannah River Site WAS a nuclear power plant! The last reactor was deactivated in the 90's. They know do research there. There is TONS of nuclear waste there as that's what they are researching. After they complete their research, the waste is transported to Yucca Mountain in Nevada which Obama wants to close and leave us stuck with all of the waste.
SRS had reactors, but never had an nuclear electric power plant. The waste has not been transported Yucca as Yucca is not operational. Some of the waste has been sent to teh WIPP in New Mexico. WIPP cannot receive spent fuel.

I also know people who work or have worked at SRS. What you are saying is not true. Futhermore, this board is about Charlotte issues. The Nuclear Power Plants around Charlotte are much different facilities that SRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or