U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:52 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,286,039 times

Advertisements

"Most of the city's stable neighborhoods are in south Charlotte"

Downturn pushes some Charlotte neighborhoods to the edge - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/09/14/1691072/downturn-pushes-city-areas-to.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

265 posts, read 260,766 times
I live in Dilworth. It doesn't get much better.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:55 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,408,004 times
Nice find loves...

Here's the whole report for those who don't like the Observer's "analysis" (it shows beyond the map highlighted in the article):

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/nbs/communitycommerce/QOL/Documents/2010_Quality_Of_Life_Report.pdf (broken link)

I think not including foreclosures as a factor in QoL for an area was a major oversight. They should have included those.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:11 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,222,359 times
Thanks, MikeyKid, for finding the whole report. Very interesting.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post
The entire report is fascinating... for instance on Dilworth:

Profile NSA City
Population 7,509 722,483
Youth Population 1,167 191,761
Number of Housing Units 4,696 312,457
Area (Acres) 1,197 191,537
Median Household Income $65,849 $52,148
Average House Value $487,307 $228,128
Number of Foreclosures 17 2,407
Unemployment Index Medium N/A

The average house value is nearly EIGHT times the median household income... That is just not sustainable long term.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:55 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,126,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
I looked at this report. It is a meaningless waste of tax money and an example of a city government that creates unneeded reports for the sole purpose of cheerleading and patting itself on the back. The reason it is a waste is they can't identify one city policy that has been put in place that changed anything and they don't offer solutions. Furthermore, this information can be found if one simply buys the demographic CD from the US Census Bureau. I'm sure that it will be on all the news programs tonight and presented as something great the city did.

Folks, this isn't effective government.
Give me a break. You're the one who constantly complains that the city has poor planning and insight. How are they going to know which areas need improvement if they don't look at all of the information available? Clearly you didn't even glance at the report, because the first page shows that the report was created by researchers at UNC, in cooperation with the city of Charlotte, CMPD, CMS, DSS, and the health department. It also clearly states that they used census data, as did the 200 other cities that have done quality of life studies.

This is what university researchers DO. They disseminate information from other sources to help create a picture of what is going on. Does it make sense to you now?

As for not offering solutions, the purpose of the report was to provide data, not solutions. Now that the city has the report, they can decide what actions should be taken based on the information provided.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:02 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,064,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon704 View Post

I drive through Dilworth sometimes on lunch, as it's the closest to my work, and at least East is a really nice street.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Nice find loves...

Here's the whole report for those who don't like the Observer's "analysis" (it shows beyond the map highlighted in the article):

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/nbs/communitycommerce/QOL/Documents/2010_Quality_Of_Life_Report.pdf (broken link)

I think not including foreclosures as a factor in QoL for an area was a major oversight. They should have included those.
Why would they include foreclosures? The purpose of the study was to help the city planners gain information so they can improve areas which are in transition or declining. Foreclosure statistics aren't going to help with that.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Why would they include foreclosures? The purpose of the study was to help the city planners gain information so they can improve areas which are in transition or declining. Foreclosure statistics aren't going to help with that.
I disagree... foreclosures are the best leading indicator to future issues in a neighborhood. In fact, if I was going to buy in an area it's one of the first things I would look at. The other stuff in this report (i.e. crime) are present day and helpful for sure, no argument. I just feel that an area with a high QoL today, yet seeing high foreclosures is a neighborhood I would be concerned about for the future.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I disagree... foreclosures are the best leading indicator to future issues in a neighborhood. In fact, if I was going to buy in an area it's one of the first things I would look at. The other stuff in this report (i.e. crime) are present day and helpful for sure, no argument. I just feel that an area with a high QoL today, yet seeing high foreclosures is a neighborhood I would be concerned about for the future.
Oh - I see what you're saying. I'm looking at it from a city planner's perspective (I'm not a city planner, that's just the angle from which I read the info) and not a homebuyer. Well, they have 27 neighborhoods in decline now, as opposed to only 20 in 2008. I didn't look closely enough to see if those were neighborhoods that could have been more affected by foreclosures than stable neighborhoods.

I was thinking the data were simply going to help with infrastructure, transportation, social welfare and schools issues. I see your point though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or