U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2010, 07:56 PM
 
59 posts, read 155,852 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Fight back. Get a dog and train it to pee on this person's car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,415,217 times
Reputation: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspace7 View Post
Fight back. Get a dog and train it to pee on this person's car.
I have thought about 'accidentally' scratching their cars while I mow the grass. But that IS illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
2,193 posts, read 4,537,049 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well having lived in some major cities I unfortunately have to agree with CC. You & your neighbors wouldn't last very long in an urban setting if you got in other peoples' faces about parking in front of your houses. And like you said earlier but are now backtracking on the space in front of your houses isn't yours & anyone can park there for as long as they want.

Another reason why I will never own a house in an HOA, petty BS like this. If you don't want to look at a car parked in front of your house... Close the drapes! Jeez...
That's not fair. I don't think people would have the same expectations if they were living in NYC. It's a good day when you can find a spot in front of your house to park and something to be excited about lol. But we don't live in an urban setting, so you are creating a strawman argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Well having lived in some major cities I unfortunately have to agree with CC. You & your neighbors wouldn't last very long in an urban setting if you got in other peoples' faces about parking in front of your houses. And like you said earlier but are now backtracking on the space in front of your houses isn't yours & anyone can park there for as long as they want.

Another reason why I will never own a house in an HOA, petty BS like this. If you don't want to look at a car parked in front of your house... Close the drapes! Jeez...
Backtracking? What ARE you talking about?

In my first post this is what I said, "If you live on a city street you do not own the street in front of your home. However, what he is doing is considered rude in my book."

I gave the accurate info that there is no law against this but called it rude from the very beginning, and it is given that J's neighbor and her boyfriend aren't parking in front of their own home where there is a space - only parking in front of her home.

This is EXACTLY the reason to own a home in a neighborhood with a good HOA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, N.C. area
445 posts, read 679,219 times
Reputation: 513
Get an ugly junker car that is legally registered and park it in front of their house.

Actually, I would go over and ask them in a polite way if there is a reason they park there and you might be able to convince them to not park there.
It doesn't hurt to ask. If they make a big deal about it, just walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:06 PM
 
686 posts, read 1,415,217 times
Reputation: 654
Unfortunately I live in an older neighborhood that does not have an HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,270 posts, read 88,346,253 times
Reputation: 39851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
Unfortunately I live in an older neighborhood that does not have an HOA.
That's too bad

Have you considered going over and just asking them if they wouldn't mind using the spot in front of their own house?

I bet they are probably renters and just don't know any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM
 
59 posts, read 155,852 times
Reputation: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
Get an ugly junker car that is legally registered and park it in front of their house.

Actually, I would go over and ask them in a polite way if there is a reason they park there and you might be able to convince them to not park there.
It doesn't hurt to ask. If they make a big deal about it, just walk away.
Or invite some children over to play in the front yard with a ball. I know that always makes me nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:13 PM
 
2,341 posts, read 4,047,546 times
Reputation: 1667
urban chick here. it is rude and would annoy the heck out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
No. That is a very normal occurrence in most places. Maybe the spot in front of the house that he is visiting is taken or otherwise occupied for some reason. As long as there is ample room for emergency services to get by the said parked car, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Goodness, folks, you would NEVER survive in an urban setting!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: In the AC
972 posts, read 2,138,087 times
Reputation: 830
I agree it is rude. But, are you sure there isn't another reason they park there?

My next door neighbor parks in front of my house quite often. It was irritating because it blocked being able to see my kids play across the street. But, then I realized they had to park there because any car in front of their house would make it near impossible for the car across the street get out of the driveway.

As far as HOAs, we have never lived anywhere that they had any impact on street parking. It has always been a city regulation thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top