Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 09:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,914,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpeoWaMacho View Post
HOA's seem to think they are a small bit of government. Question: Can the HOA change the rules, or does a change only occur when a majority of the subdivision votes? If it's just the HOA, you don't have a democracy--you've got an oligarchy.

For those touting democracy--true democracy equals mob rule where 51% of the people get to tell the remaining 49% how to live.

The US is a federal republic, with protections for the individual. I'm guessing most HOA's don't have that built in.

Well, you are assuming a lot and you know what they say about one who assumes....

HOA Boards must get a majority vote on all changes. They call a quorum and vote on any amendments or new measures.

Once again-- those whining about HOAs are the ones who don't even understand how they really work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 09:24 AM

132 posts, read 449,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Well, you are assuming a lot and you know what they say about one who assumes....

HOA Boards must get a majority vote on all changes. They call a quorum and vote on any amendments or new measures.

Once again-- those whining about HOAs are the ones who don't even understand how they really work.
I made one assumption, which went unanswered--are there any protections for the individual FROM an HOA?. The rest was pointing out behavior exhibited by HOAs (using words like "seem"), and asking questions about HOAs.

So before tossing out a poorly veiled insult....

Old 07-05-2007, 11:25 AM

What do you mean "protections for the individual"? It's a contractual agreement....you either follow the rules or don't buy there. If one follows the rules, what protection might one need? I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp, it's not nuclear fission.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:24 PM

70 posts, read 376,168 times
Here's the problem with HOAs....they are not truly elective. You cannot live in a certain area unless you sign the papers. It is very prohibitive.

Let me give another example, perhaps, since some people are emotionally tied to their beloved HOAs.

Say for example your life long dream is to become a grocery store clerk (ok, substitute in an elevated position that includes more $, more prestige!) but you do not want to join a union....but, you cannot get the job anywhere unless you join the union. You must pay union dues, etc. Is this fair? NO WAY. I know several people who were required to join a union (for seemingly non-union type positions) and dislike it and the concept of being a "union employee". Employment unions share similar ideals with HOAs.

Again let me restate....if the union/HOA's sole job was too provide for EXTRA things (pools, club houses, landscaping, better healthcare benefits, etc) than I'm all for them! It just don't like the idea of another layer of controls and rules......even under the veil of "my vote counts" c r a p.

Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM

I respect how you feel and I know others feel the same way. But it is what it is, and we are all aware they exist and have a choice not to live in an HOA community. If we choose to live in one, we have the choice to get involved.

I think we've all talked this subject to death ;-)
It's nice out, we should go enjoy the day!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
What do you mean "protections for the individual"? It's a contractual agreement....you either follow the rules or don't buy there. If one follows the rules, what protection might one need? I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to grasp, it's not nuclear fission.
No, it sure isn't.

It's exactly this: You sign a contract stating that the organization you're signing the contract with can change the rules any time they feel like, and if you don't OBEY them, they can really screw with YOUR LAND, including taking it away. That's a really messed up contract.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 PM

The thing that interests me is that you keep using the word "they"...an HOA is YOU...it's US. It is composed of and run by residents. Perhaps I have never felt "victimized" because I pay my dues on time, don't trash or neglect my yard, am respectful of my and my neighbors property values, and I get involved.

I have several neighbors who like to complain about the HOA...I notice on the delinquency sheet that most of them are the ones who are way behind on dues and also have yet to attend a meeting.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,263,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpeoWaMacho View Post
HOA's seem to think they are a small bit of government. Question: Can the HOA change the rules, or does a change only occur when a majority of the subdivision votes? If it's just the HOA, you don't have a democracy--you've got an oligarchy.
First off, the HOA is all the property owners, not just the Board of Directors and property manager.

Second, the rules are in the Declaration of Covenants Conditions and Restirctions. Change or amendment typically requires approval of 90% of the homeowners, which is a pretty hard to achieve.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
The thing that interests me is that you keep using the word "they"...an HOA is YOU...it's US. It is composed of and run by residents. Perhaps I have never felt "victimized" because I pay my dues on time, don't trash or neglect my yard, am respectful of my and my neighbors property values, and I get involved.

I have several neighbors who like to complain about the HOA...I notice on the delinquency sheet that most of them are the ones who are way behind on dues and also have yet to attend a meeting.
When someone else gets to speak for what's mine, you bet it's them and me. There should be no way some group can take away someone else's property without it being a law (and most of those I don't agree with, either).

Your reasoning is much like John ********'s back in the day about using UPS to spy on the populace, "Well, if they're not doing anything wrong, they've got nothing to worry about...."

There are just too many HOAs with too much power at times.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
First off, the HOA is all the property owners, not just the Board of Directors and property manager.

Second, the rules are in the Declaration of Covenants Conditions and Restirctions. Change or amendment typically requires approval of 90% of the homeowners, which is a pretty hard to achieve.
See, this is the info I was looking for the first time around. Thank you. Now these are the kinds of protections I was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte