U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:15 PM

15 posts, read 47,997 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

I'm looking to move to the Charlotte area within a year. I am single (no kids), 26 years old, and currently live in the DC metro area. Right now, I am used to having so many things close by to where I live -- I love trying new things, staying active, and meeting new people. If I were to move to the Charlotte area, would I still be able to maintain a similar lifestyle? Also, I visited Balantyne, would I be better off living there if I am a young professional as opposed to living in the city of Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 08:28 PM

27 posts, read 118,059 times
Im moving to Charlotte as well. I usually stay with my sister who is 26. All her friends and everyone that I've met (same age group) try to live, work, play & breath as close to uptown as possible. Also, south charlotte is cool so you might enjoy living in Ballantyne. I have noticed that you need to eat dinner before 9pm most places or you are sol. (Im used to things being open a little later). So, even in town, its not an open all night town like DC.
But awesome cosmopolitan city. Great people.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherliz View Post
Hi There!

I'm looking to move to the Charlotte area within a year. I am single (no kids), 26 years old, and currently live in the DC metro area. Right now, I am used to having so many things close by to where I live -- I love trying new things, staying active, and meeting new people. If I were to move to the Charlotte area, would I still be able to maintain a similar lifestyle? Also, I visited Balantyne, would I be better off living there if I am a young professional as opposed to living in the city of Charlotte?
Well, Ballantyne IS in the city of Charlotte, so if you lived there you would still be in Charlotte I think you meant living there versus living in uptown Charlotte? They both have their advantages. Uptown is great if you work there and can afford the steeper rent or mortgage. But Ballantyne is also great for many new apartments, beautiful homes, nice retail. You will find young professionals in both areas - I'd say make your decision based on where you will be working - otherwise you'll hate the commute (traffic is getting worse and worse in Charlotte all the time). Best of luck making a decision!

Old 07-01-2007, 02:32 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,556,478 times
Once again, I agree with lovesMountains. Ballantyne is in Charlotte -- south of the city. It is beautiful, and there are options for single family homes as well as condos and townhouses. Uptown is also nice -- and growing by leaps and bounds in terms of residential real estate.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:56 PM

15 posts, read 47,997 times
Hey

Ooops -- as you can see, I don't really know very much about Charlotte (uptown or Balantyne! sorry). So, does everything shut down by 9pm, or is it mostly in Balantyne where things tend to close early? I'm not really a night owl, but on the weekends I like to go out, stay up late, and go to new places. Let me know if uptown is like that...also, I know it is divided into wards -- any recommendations/knowledge about that?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:11 AM

515 posts, read 908,434 times
Ballantyne is a great area, but not very convenient if you work uptown. In the area just south of Ballantyne you can still get a nice house for a very reasonable price, same for rents. But if you want to move closer to the city for commute reasons prices go up fast. If you only go into the city on the weekends, or not during the rush hour, it is great option.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 AM

509 posts, read 1,645,152 times
If I were young and single, I would definitely live uptown versus Ballantyne. Lots of bars, restaurants, and other young professionals... and no need to worry about a 20 mile drive after a night out on the town.

GT

Old 07-03-2007, 11:36 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,684,576 times
In your scenario, I would live uptown or at Lake Norman. I live at the lake now but work just south of downtown. I don't mind the commute at all. It takes me on average 35 minutes to get to work or home. It takes 20-25 minutes for us to drive downtown from the lake in the evening, i.e. "going out." The lake has so much to offer as well regarding shopping and entertainment. The lake itself is worth it if you like to party. Lake parties are a dime a dozen and there are so many singles it's ridiculous. It's the next best thing to living at the beach. There is a great vibe and the people are so laid back. Having said all that, my next option would be downtown for the convenience of hot night spots and restaurants. Downtown is EXPLODING with new clubs, bars, and music venues. You may even want to consider NoDa or Dilworth, which is a mix of yuppy, pub, hippy, and artsy fartsy types....very chill. So bottom line for me, it depends on what kind of lifestyle you enjoy and whether or not you want to commute. Again, lake or downtown, handsdown.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,675,905 times
I would ask first, how much do you want to spend? Uptown is quite a bit more expensive, I would say 50% more than most other areas. But your commute is less, in fact you may not drive much if you also work in uptown. Ballentyne is a growing area but getting expesive too for the nicer areas. Coming from DC though, you may think things are downright cheap. So if you can afford it, I would go Uptown, if your job allows. Otherwise South Charlotte (Ballentyne) or Lake Norman are good, but will add commute. I prefer north Charlotte, pretty close to everything.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:37 PM

513 posts, read 1,916,315 times
If I were in your position, I would live in SouthPark. You will be in between Ballantyne and Uptown, have the best shopping in Charlotte in your back yard, lots of good restaurants, nightlife without having to go uptown...and you will only be about 10-15 minutes from Uptown. Lots of young professionals live there, and there are more condos/apts popping up there all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or