U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM

149 posts, read 293,129 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I've spoken to someone from a computer school in the northeast who quoted me a price of $1616 for a CompTIA A+ certification plus $168 each for the 701 and 702 series exam. He told me based on my 18 year old son's computer knowledge he didn't need the Microsoft training.

I called a school in Charlotte called Tech Skills. The gentleman there told me their CompTIA A+ certification costs $2900. Then he recommended a training package which provides 6 certifications which includes Microsoft for $12,000.

Here's my question. 1. I thought the prices would be cheaper the more south you go. So when Tech Skills quoted a higher price for the A+ certification, I was a little surprised. He also said the $12,000 package includes an internship with one a company they work with. My question is for any computer technicians reading this. I ask you which would be the better school route for my son to continue to do what he loves where his chances for solid employment is greater? 2. Does anyone know of Tech Skills? If so, what is they're reputation?

I thank you for any input you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:03 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom6722 View Post
Hi,
I've spoken to someone from a computer school in the northeast who quoted me a price of $1616 for a CompTIA A+ certification plus $168 each for the 701 and 702 series exam. He told me based on my 18 year old son's computer knowledge he didn't need the Microsoft training.

I called a school in Charlotte called Tech Skills. The gentleman there told me their CompTIA A+ certification costs $2900. Then he recommended a training package which provides 6 certifications which includes Microsoft for $12,000.

Here's my question. 1. I thought the prices would be cheaper the more south you go. So when Tech Skills quoted a higher price for the A+ certification, I was a little surprised. He also said the $12,000 package includes an internship with one a company they work with. My question is for any computer technicians reading this. I ask you which would be the better school route for my son to continue to do what he loves where his chances for solid employment is greater? 2. Does anyone know of Tech Skills? If so, what is they're reputation?

I thank you for any input you may have.

Before you spend that kind of money you should really look into CPCC - not sure they offer these certificates, but if they do I can promise you if will be a lot more affordable at a community college than at a for profit school.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Okay, just asked my hubby for you - he said no way should you have to spend that kind of money.

He suggested you look at New Horizons - they have a location in Charlotte

IT Training, Microsoft Training, Cisco Training, Computer Training, Certifications - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers

Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
My son who is a senior programmer at a large foreign-owned firm says that self-teaching is best. Usually what you learn in college is out-of-date by the time that you graduate.

He never attended a college a day in his life. Did not even graduate high school. Just taught himself and now has a much better job than anything I could ever dream of. And, he also has constant offers that make him a fairly "hot" commodity in the corporate world.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:34 PM

624 posts, read 1,888,800 times
Quote:
Then he recommended a training package which provides 6 certifications which includes Microsoft for $12,000...He also said the $12,000 package includes an internship with one a company they work with.
I don't have any specific experience with either of these programs. But I'm awfully wary of any internship that comes by buying an expensive package.

I'd be more understanding if this was a trade or craft, but an internship for computer training. In my mind that accounts to paying to do someone's data entry work at a "company they work with."

Quote:
...plus $168 each for the 701 and 702 series exam.
Also just for information sake, the $168 is the standard cost of the exam.

Global+Certification+Prices.pdf

Source: Getting Ready for the Test

Last edited by MysteryMT; 09-17-2010 at 10:46 PM..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:14 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
...oh, and to the person that just sent me a message to say that certifications were required for programming jobs, that is NOT the case. My son has never had an issue without being "certified" and is recruited constantly to go to other companies. He makes very good money, also.

It may help that he is also a web designer and has had his own side business designing web pages and logos for businesses (which is how his name is out there). Pretty much, if it has to do with computers, other than mainframe design, he does it and has taught himself entirely on his own.

Now, I will say this; teaching yourself takes a lot of self-discipline, a lot of determination and also a lot of drive. The information is (obviously) not handed to you and you have to find it. There are a ton of universities and other places that will give you the information, you just have to find it. Then, you have to be a decent sales person to sell yourself on your experience and your knowledge without falling back on that piece of paper that says it for you. Probably a lot of people couldn't do this. But, most kids these days know more than the certifications teach you and if they have the discipline, they could do it themselves. You have to know the kind of person that you (or your child) are. Are you the one that waits for information to be handed to you or do you google everything and find it out for yourself? Are you the person that does constant research to learn or do you wait until you are in the classroom to find out? That will tell you the answer if you are able to do this.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,863,939 times
For the A+ you can buy the self study book, if you would rather do classes then CPCC has the best price for A+

Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM

5,116 posts, read 1,807,334 times
A+ costs $3000? That gave me a good chuckle.

You will do best in this field if self taught....

The certifications vs experience vs degree is a dead horse. Bottom line, more of them you can get, the better your chances. I have always thought a decent rule of thumb was the certification(s) gets you the interview. The experience gets you the job. The degree gets you first in line for promotions.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
A+ costs $3000? That gave me a good chuckle.

You will do best in this field if self taught....

The certifications vs experience vs degree is a dead horse. Bottom line, more of them you can get, the better your chances. I have always thought a decent rule of thumb was the certification(s) gets you the interview. The experience gets you the job. The degree gets you first in line for promotions.
Yeah, that's what we've told our son too - the degree is required if you really want to be at the top of your earning potential, in ANY field these days.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:17 PM

747 posts, read 1,545,451 times
A+ is DEFINITELY a self-study certification. These boot camps that cost thousands of dollars are ridiculous. I'm working on my CCNP now without classes.

Check out CBT Nuggets. They have great programs for a fraction of what you're talking about. These aren't classes, but training materials.

I'm not sure what your son wants to pursue, but the Cisco CCNA cert is a great place to start. Many community colleges teach the official Cisco curriculum for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte