U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 AM

21,848 posts, read 27,118,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian and Amanda View Post
We are presently living in the Austin TX area. She was working for a church, but is now trying to do alternate certification for teaching. It is hard for alternates to get a job right now, since there are so many already certified which is why she is looking at the "Teach for America(TFA)" program. The last teaching job she interviewed for, the principal told here there were over 459 applicants that did so. The TFA will give her a job that will certify her.

As for recreation, I am referring to the national forest and parks, and nature in general. Open to ideas there too, as for living area and recreation.

In general , we are not necessarily looking for fashionable. A smaller town with more green land could be ideal for us.

Thank you again.
You're welcome.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system had a big lay-off at the end of the last school year.

Here's a thought. If she is assigned to Charlotte & you like the area, she should plan to apply to the Gaston County school system, which should give her a bit more job stability.

Kings Mountain National Military Park is a hop, skip, & jump from Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service) The City of Kings Mountain is currently developing a trail system that will eventually link to Crowders Mountain State Park in NC & Kings Mountain State park & the battlefield in SC.

Kings Mountain probably fits what you want the best, but it would strain at the commute time, depending on where in Charlotte the assigned school was.If the assigned school was in east Charlotte, I think that Belmont would be the place to look. Cramerton might be OK, but I would not go west of Cramerton. For east Charlotte, you would probably be better off looking in or near Monroe. If that is the case, rent with the intention of moving west of Charlotte when she is finished, if you like the area.

Last edited by southbound_295; 09-18-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:01 PM

36 posts, read 50,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're welcome.

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg school system had a big lay-off at the end of the last school year.

Here's a thought. If she is assigned to Charlotte & you like the area, she should plan to apply to the Gaston County school system, which should give her a bit more job stability.

Kings Mountain National Military Park is a hop, skip, & jump from Kings Mountain. Kings Mountain National Military Park (U.S. National Park Service) The City of Kings Mountain is currently developing a trail system that will eventually link to Crowders Mountain State Park in NC & Kings Mountain State park & the battlefield in SC.

Kings Mountain probably fits what you want the best, but it would strain at the commute time, depending on where in Charlotte the assigned school was.If the assigned school was in east Charlotte, I think that Belmont would be the place to look. Cramerton might be OK, but I would not go west of Cramerton. For east Charlotte, you would probably be better off looking in or near Monroe. If that is the case, rent with the intention of moving west of Charlotte when she is finished, if you live the area.
Thank you again, so very helpful and informative. I will share this information with her. :-)

Old 09-18-2010, 12:18 PM

21,848 posts, read 27,118,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian and Amanda View Post
Thank you again, so very helpful and informative. I will share this information with her. :-)
You're welcome.

In this case, your budget works to your advantage west of Charlotte. The lower price points are what's moving, so the likelihood of you taking a bath, financially, are far less than if you looked in the higher price points.

I'm not so sure what the situation would be out near Monroe, but parts of Union County, which Monroe is in, were built up very quickly & there is a glut of houses on the market there. That's why I suggested renting, there. You have a grace period after selling a house, anyway.

West of Charlotte, I'd find the worst house in a good neighborhood & work on it. Just don't go nuts.

If she gets Charlotte & you get "lucky" & it's west Charlotte, go as far out as she is comfortable with the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or