U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM

21,793 posts, read 27,049,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacyb23 View Post
No he didn't, but he was the second person to tell me that. It's strange - almost sounded like it was more of a status thing than anything. I can't wait for a visit (hopefully early spring) to give us a better idea about the area.

We are from a small town so we're ok with the idea of driving a little to get to shopping/grocery stores. But the big deal for us is the schools and a safe area. My husband's job will/can be anywhere in the metro. They are retail and moving into the area so we're not sure where the first stores will open.
Have you looked at Belmont? That would put you more centrally located, unless, the 1st store is in Monroe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 10,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Have you looked at Belmont? That would put you more centrally located, unless, the 1st store is in Monroe.
No, but thanks for the lead!

We have no idea where the first store will be, but probably somewhere IN the city if you know what I mean - haha. So while we want to be 'close', we don't want to be too close. Just somewhere near the loop. We're aware he will have a commute, just hoping to keep it under an hour!

Old 11-01-2010, 09:17 AM

21,793 posts, read 27,049,080 times
Quote:
No, but thanks for the lead!

We have no idea where the first store will be, but probably somewhere IN the city if you know what I mean - haha. So while we want to be 'close', we don't want to be too close. Just somewhere near the loop. We're aware he will have a commute, just hoping to keep it under an hour!
You're welcome.

Under the circumstances, you might want to look at Matthews & Belmont. Nothing wrong with where you're looking now, but those might work better for location, given the circumstances.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:48 AM

44 posts, read 92,373 times
stacyb - I've only lived here a couple of months, but have family here, and there is a general assumption from them that the south area is nicer (Matthews, Pineville, Waxhaw, Weddington, South Charlotte) - and I've found it is, but you definitely would get more bang for you buck housing wise in Concord. We have friends in Concord who love it and live in a lovely neighborhood. If my husband's job wasn't in Matthews, we'd look up in Concord for housing (still renting now, trying to find where to "land". We do have the luxury, schoolwise, to do that, though since we homeschool - no worry about having to switch schools when we do find where we'll end up long term.).

I keep hearing over and over that the schools in Weddington (northeast of Rock Hill, in NC) are excellent. It is more pricey there than Concord, but it is a beautiful area.

We love Matthews. Great small-town feel and reasonable housing (not as inexpensive as some spots in Concord, but still reasonable - of course, we moved here from California, so anything out here seems reasonable to us. :-)

I don't know much about Rock Hill. We've considered moving there for the fact that taxes are cheaper and gas is less expensive. You might want to look into the difference cost-wise between living in NC and living in SC if that's of interest.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM

80 posts, read 216,862 times
I don't know what your lender would mean about status regarding differences of Ft.Mill/Rock Hill and Concord...both are very comparable in pricing. I've looked at both and prefer Concord but it's just that a preference..there is nothing about either that stood out negatively or postively..they both have nice neighborhoods, highly rated schools, etc..but both also have not so nice areas as well. I also wouldn't live near the Speedway and while some folks rave about Harrisburg area, I can't stand the way it looks but that's just me...

Old 11-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stausshaus View Post
stacyb - I've only lived here a couple of months, but have family here, and there is a general assumption from them that the south area is nicer (Matthews, Pineville, Waxhaw, Weddington, South Charlotte) - and I've found it is, but you definitely would get more bang for you buck housing wise in Concord. We have friends in Concord who love it and live in a lovely neighborhood. If my husband's job wasn't in Matthews, we'd look up in Concord for housing (still renting now, trying to find where to "land". We do have the luxury, schoolwise, to do that, though since we homeschool - no worry about having to switch schools when we do find where we'll end up long term.).

I keep hearing over and over that the schools in Weddington (northeast of Rock Hill, in NC) are excellent. It is more pricey there than Concord, but it is a beautiful area.

We love Matthews. Great small-town feel and reasonable housing (not as inexpensive as some spots in Concord, but still reasonable - of course, we moved here from California, so anything out here seems reasonable to us. :-)

I don't know much about Rock Hill. We've considered moving there for the fact that taxes are cheaper and gas is less expensive. You might want to look into the difference cost-wise between living in NC and living in SC if that's of interest.
Thank you SO much for your response! All of this is so helpful!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,174,896 times
Quote:
We are relocating from out of state and are considering 2 main areas... Harrisburg/Concord and Fort Mill.

We have young kids so schools are really important. It seems like you get a lot of house for your money in the Concord area compared to Fort Mill... just wondering why and if it's worth the extra money for Fort Mill area.

I also had a lender tell me he would absolutely NOT buy in the Concord area and would only buy south.

Just wondering more about those areas - hoping to set up visits soon. Any help is greatly appreciated!
A lender actually told you that??? How ignorant. Corcord is a great litte city with some very desirable neighborhoods and great schools. Fort Mill is nice too, but no better for homes or schools than Concord at all.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleblessings View Post
I don't know what your lender would mean about status regarding differences of Ft.Mill/Rock Hill and Concord...both are very comparable in pricing. I've looked at both and prefer Concord but it's just that a preference..there is nothing about either that stood out negatively or postively..they both have nice neighborhoods, highly rated schools, etc..but both also have not so nice areas as well. I also wouldn't live near the Speedway and while some folks rave about Harrisburg area, I can't stand the way it looks but that's just me...
Ok, so questions... what do you mean by the way Harrisburg looks? And also, how close is too close to the speedway to look? What is the noise like from the speedway and how often would we have to worry about that? Traffic on race weekends?

We currently have property now near a drag strip and it is LOUD but really only 1 night a week during the late summer and fall and only for a few hours at a time. But we live 5 miles away and depending on how quiet the night and the wind direction, we can even hear it at our house!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

3,386 posts, read 3,177,233 times
Quote:
Ok, so questions... what do you mean by the way Harrisburg looks? And also, how close is too close to the speedway to look? What is the noise like from the speedway and how often would we have to worry about that? Traffic on race weekends?

We currently have property now near a drag strip and it is LOUD but really only 1 night a week during the late summer and fall and only for a few hours at a time. But we live 5 miles away and depending on how quiet the night and the wind direction, we can even hear it at our house!

I can hear the races from my house twice a year (May & Oct) and I live West of 85. The traffic for the May race is the worst. People show up about a week beforehand in the RV and party all week. The race in Oct this year wasn't bad traffic wise at all and I had to go up and down Poplar Tent every morning and afternoon.

If it were me I would look West of 85. You can find nice neighborhoods in all price ranges.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I can hear the races from my house twice a year (May & Oct) and I live West of 85. The traffic for the May race is the worst. People show up about a week beforehand in the RV and party all week. The race in Oct this year wasn't bad traffic wise at all and I had to go up and down Poplar Tent every morning and afternoon.

If it were me I would look West of 85. You can find nice neighborhoods in all price ranges.
Not sure how I stumbled upon this website... but sure happy I did! You guys have given me tons of info to start with and some ideas where we should look when we make a visit!

Would love more info too if you have it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte