U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 04:36 PM

747 posts, read 1,549,246 times

Advertisements

I've lived here less than two months and I want to strangle the neighbor's dog.
They leave it out in the driveway where it barks for hours and hours. It's a big dog, too, with a loud bark.

What is wrong with people?!

It's standing out there right now barking its fool head off, and the owners are home listening to it.

I hate to have a confrontation this soon, so I'll have to put up with it for now.
I wonder if the HOA would do something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,920,786 times
You have my sympathy. I love dogs - have one myself, but an unsupervised barking dog makes me want to do harm to the dog and its owner.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:57 PM

15,159 posts, read 13,420,911 times
I feel sorry for that poor dog.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
I wonder if that product on TV; That sends out noise that make a dog quiet work ?

Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,056,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I wonder if that product on TV; That sends out noise that make a dog quiet work ?

Great time to try it out and maybe boost sales if it does

Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM

714 posts, read 2,030,844 times
I would definitely encourage you to alert the Homeowners Association about this. Excessive dog barking, or unattended pets are against almost all HOA regulations that I've seen.

Additionally, if the dog is outside barking, animal control might be a good source to call as well. I'm not saying to "impound" the dog - but a dog barks because it needs something. Is there adequate water available to the dog? It sounds to me as if the dog is in inhumane conditions and I, for one, would want an organization to check it out. If I were to see a baby left unattended and crying, I'd call for Child Protective Services. In this case, the Humane Society ought to be dispatched to ensure the dog's owners are treating it humanely. IMHO of course, anyone who leaves their family pet outside to bark unattended for hours on end should not be allowed to own pets, as they are clearly not interested in treating their pet humanely.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobosCurse View Post
I've lived here less than two months and I want to strangle the neighbor's dog.
They leave it out in the driveway where it barks for hours and hours. It's a big dog, too, with a loud bark.

What is wrong with people?!

It's standing out there right now barking its fool head off, and the owners are home listening to it.

I hate to have a confrontation this soon, so I'll have to put up with it for now.
I wonder if the HOA would do something about it.
Some people are just clueless Sorry for what you are dealing with.

When this happened to us here is what we did: We walked over and discussed the noise with the neighbor, being as friendly and open as we could be. I explained that I worked from home and having to listen to this all day long was very distracting and annoying. In good weather I could never have a window open! They were all "well, we've tried everything and the dog just won't stop". We said, perhaps keeping him INSIDE of their own home would solve the problem. They didn't want to scuff up their new floors Well, after that, I had no choice but to be more proactive. The next day when the dog started in I went out to my car and sat on my horn for about 10 minutes. The dog never stopped barking, of course, but I kept laying on the horn. They got the hint and called the dog in. The very next time it happened a few hours later, I again went outside and just laid on the car horn. We did this dance a few times before they got the point that I was not going to stop. They were trained, what do you know??? Dog bark = loud car horn blaring

Old 09-20-2010, 05:23 PM

714 posts, read 2,030,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
They were trained, what do you know??? Dog bark = loud car horn blaring
"You must spread around some reputation before giving it to lovesMountains again."

Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM

198 posts, read 566,878 times
We've recently had problems with loose dogs in our neighborhood, so we asked our neighborhood watch police liaison, Officer Wing, to inform us of all dog-related ordinances in Charlotte - Mecklenburg. Here's the one that applies to your situation:

Sec. 3-69. - Nuisance.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, possess or maintain an animal in such a manner as to constitute a public nuisance or a nuisance to neighbors. By way of example and not of limitation, the following acts or actions of an owner, harborer or possessor of an animal are hereby declared to be a public nuisance and are, therefore, unlawful:
(1)
Having an animal that disturbs the rights of, threatens the safety of or injures a member of the general public or interferes with the ordinary use and enjoyment of his property;
... (5)
Allowing or permitting an animal to bark, whine, howl, crow, cackle, or cause noise in an excessive, continuous or untimely fashion so as to interfere with the reasonable use and enjoyment of neighboring premises.

Hope that helps you out a bit! If your HOA doesn't help, or if you're not comfortable complaining to them, call the police. However, one of the ordinances specifically says that anonymous complaints about pet nuisances will not be investigated. So you would have to leave your name.

**By the way, I was happy to learn that there is also an ordinance requiring pet owners to pick up their dogs' feces. It's not just annoying and rude, it's AGAINST THE LAW!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,591,459 times
You guys are reasons I moved out in the country. Dangerous breed barking devoted to our home is the best protection. We all ready have warning sign.

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte