U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM

76 posts, read 168,977 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving to Charlotte and interested in living in the following areas: Lake Norman area, Mountain Island Lake, Lake Wylie area ... we like the water and outdoors and want to live close to one of the lakes.

Could you please tell me what the average commute time is to Uptown from these areas during rush hour?

Any input would be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM

299 posts, read 509,725 times
It really depends where, exactly, you are coming from. Do you have subdivisions you could specify? Anything in Mooresville, around Brawley School Road has the potential to take up to 2 hours at times. No joke.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM

686 posts, read 1,414,304 times
But the great thing about Charlotte is that rush hour is pretty short. If you can work alternative hours, then the commute is not so bad. (7:00-4:00 vs 8:00-5:00)

Old 09-20-2010, 07:01 PM

76 posts, read 168,977 times
2 hours, wow! We have not narrowed it down to neighborhoods yet, we are trying to narrow it down to areas first. Probably more around Huntersville if I had to guess.

Is 77 packed no matter which direction you are traveling into the city center?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:32 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyonthelake View Post
It really depends where, exactly, you are coming from. Do you have subdivisions you could specify? Anything in Mooresville, around Brawley School Road has the potential to take up to 2 hours at times. No joke.
I had to go & see a client at The Point at 2pm the day before Thanksgiving a couple years ago. It took me 2.5 hours to get there.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:38 PM

532 posts, read 1,565,625 times
From Lake Norman (Denver-side,) leaving at 7:00 am, the ride to Uptown is typically about 40-45 minutes.
From Mt. Island Lake area, heading down 16, maybe 25-30 minutes.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyWhite View Post
2 hours, wow! We have not narrowed it down to neighborhoods yet, we are trying to narrow it down to areas first. Probably more around Huntersville if I had to guess.

Is 77 packed no matter which direction you are traveling into the city center?
It can be stop & go as soon as interstate goes down two lanes past 485 interchange. Ride with someone or do what alot of commuters do and ride
the express bus so you can commute in the HOV lanes.
Or learn the back roads .

Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 AM

292 posts, read 591,105 times
I don't know about Lake Wylie or Mountain Island, but I live in Huntersville, maybe 5 to 10 minutes from the lake and my commute is on average 25 minutes. However, I live off exit 23. Usually when 77 North backs up, it is right around that exit, so I can just get off the interstate instead of having to sit in the traffic jam. Also, when 77 is backed up even further, I can just pop off on 485 and loop around the back way. That way takes about 5 more minutes when you need it. If I can get on the road a little earlier, then the commute really only takes me about 20 minutes.

Quite often when I am getting off the interstate, I am thankful I chose to live in Huntersville instead of Cornelius/Davidson/Mooresville. The trick is to pay attention to traffic patterns and have a second route you can take when needed (just be careful your second route doesn't back up insanely when the interstate does.) From what I can tell, and maybe this is because I live on the west side, is that the part of Huntersville that is west of 77 is less congested when you need to take the back roads. As for the east side, I don't travel that way terribly often during rush hour, but if I needed to, I would stay away from Statesville Rd if possible. It gets backed up pretty bad when the interstate does. I hope this all makes sense!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 AM

6 posts, read 16,688 times
Regarding I77 commute south to Charlotte, worst traffic is around Huntersville, and the same on the return journey North. Traffic clogs up around J19 and then tends to ease off around J28.

Average Daily commute at 6.45 am from off Brawley School road (around 2 miles WEST of Williamson) is 45 mins to an hour.

It's approx' 32 miles.
Return journey leaving Charlotte at 4.30pm is about the same.

Only on very rare occasions due to a wreck has it taken 2 hrs to get home.

There's also the option of the CATS express bus from Williamson Road which runs during peak times.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 AM

841 posts, read 2,136,187 times
From Lake Wylie..it should take you no more than 40 minutes to get to uptown Charlotte..even in the worst traffic. I live about 15-20 minutes past Lake Wylie...and I used to take 49 to 485 to 77 and it takes me less than 1 hour to get to work. The most traffic I hit is merging on to 77 from 485...you have like 5-6 lanes trying to merge onto 3 lanes...once those lanes are merged..it moves pretty good. IMO, I noticed that people that commute to Charlotte from NC hit a lot more traffic than people commuting from SC. I now take 85 to work and it takes me 45 minutes door to door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte