U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Ayrsley
4,714 posts, read 8,458,675 times
Reputation: 3814

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
plus -- and this is a huge plus -- from Dublin, RyanAir will take you almost anywhere in Europe for insanely cheap. Instead of being held hostage and paying an extra $300-$500 for USAir to fly you to Germany or Italy, if you pack light and learn "the rules", you can pay Ryanair $30-$50 for the same flights.
To be honest, I'd rather swim over to the mainland EU from Ireland than fly on RyanAir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2011, 06:25 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,132,273 times
Reputation: 14556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
To be honest, I'd rather swim over to the mainland EU from Ireland than fly on RyanAir.
i understand that a lot of people hate ryanair, and i think it depends on what kind of traveler that you are. i thought it was great, paying $40 or less to fly 500 miles on a Boeing 737, with tons of flights and routes available.

Last edited by le roi; 03-03-2011 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 06:39 AM
 
Location: Ballantyne
129 posts, read 193,234 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
To be honest, I'd rather swim over to the mainland EU from Ireland than fly on RyanAir.
I have to agree with you whole heartedly I'm still living here and I have NEVER flown Ryanair refuse to -and for anyone who is taking a trip to Europe and going to use them that you tube video is not a joke, it a regular occurrance. If you go over their rules its very costly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Durham UK
2,031 posts, read 4,687,425 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonToKC View Post
Charlotte is extremely lucky (considering its relatively small metro area size) to have all of these nonstop transatlantic flights. There are larger cities with no or limited transatlantic service, and make no mistake, without the large US Airways connecting hub, CLT would not be able to sustain any of its European flights based on O&D traffic alone (with the exception of possibly London and Frankfurt provided there are onward connecting opportunities from those two cities).
Charlotte may be relatively small, but there are 365 Fortune 500 companies representing a broad range of industries here.

8 Fortune 500 companies have headquarters here,and there are another 2 with HQs in Winston Salem.

I think that's higher than both Cincinatti and St Louis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 12:51 PM
 
12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Reputation: 23233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
Charlotte may be relatively small, but there are 365 Fortune 500 companies representing a broad range of industries here.

8 Fortune 500 companies have headquarters here,and there are another 2 with HQs in Winston Salem.

I think that's higher than both Cincinatti and St Louis?
While I do think Cincinatti has few Fortune 500 headquarters, St. Louis actually has one more then Charlotte with 9 Fortune 500 headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 02:50 PM
 
7 posts, read 11,406 times
Reputation: 10
According to the 2010 data from fortune magazine they both have 8, however I guess it makes a difference because Charlotte has BofA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
 
830 posts, read 1,315,208 times
Reputation: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenhelpus View Post
According to the 2010 data from fortune magazine they both have 8, however I guess it makes a difference because Charlotte has BofA.
St. Louis used to have a lot more, but they've a number have been bought out or gone bankrupt.

F500 companies in STL HQ'd in STL would include Emerson Electric, Express Scripts, Monsanto, Ameren, Peabody Energy and Charter Communications.

Also HQ for Edward Jones, Scottrade and Brown Shoe and a big Boeing defense operation. Former HQs still with big operations include Purina (former HQ, now owned by Nestle), In-Bev North America (formerly Anheuser-Busch HQ), Wells Fargo (former AG Edwards...ones that are gone include May Dept Stores and TWA.

Biggest private employer in the region is Barnes-Jewish Hospital system, which is affiliated with Washington University.

The issue with St. Louis is less about jobs/companies and more about having its fortunes tied with TWA and then AA, and AA having huge hubs close by in ORD and DFW, and an outdated airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 PM
 
7 posts, read 11,406 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
St. Louis used to have a lot more, but they've a number have been bought out or gone bankrupt.

F500 companies in STL HQ'd in STL would include Emerson Electric, Express Scripts, Monsanto, Ameren, Peabody Energy and Charter Communications.

Also HQ for Edward Jones, Scottrade and Brown Shoe and a big Boeing defense operation. Former HQs still with big operations include Purina (former HQ, now owned by Nestle), In-Bev North America (formerly Anheuser-Busch HQ), Wells Fargo (former AG Edwards...ones that are gone include May Dept Stores and TWA.

Biggest private employer in the region is Barnes-Jewish Hospital system, which is affiliated with Washington University.

The issue with St. Louis is less about jobs/companies and more about having its fortunes tied with TWA and then AA, and AA having huge hubs close by in ORD and DFW, and an outdated airport.
Useful information-Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 PM
 
12,402 posts, read 7,454,846 times
Reputation: 23233
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavenhelpus View Post
According to the 2010 data from fortune magazine they both have 8, however I guess it makes a difference because Charlotte has BofA.
Hmm, CnnMoney must have it wrong then, since according to their site there are 9 fortune 500 companies in St Louis for 2010.

But really, I don't think the number of Fortune 500 companies has anything to do with Trans Atlantic flights available. I think it has more to do with where an Airline's hub is and proximity to the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top