Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Hi there
We will be living in Denver which is Lincoln County schools. Would the above school be too far to travel to>? It sounds like a wonderful school and coming from europe, it would be fantastic.

thanks
dorothy
Not only would it be pretty far, but you have to live in Mecklenburg county to go to the public schools here, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM

4 posts, read 12,976 times
Smile Any advice????? please

Hello,

I'm an african american single mother of one. My son is 5 years old and I intend to relocate to the Charlotte area summer of 08. I currently reside in MD and with the rising cost of homes I can not afford a sinle family home in the MD aea. I am an Early Childhood Educator and I am looking for advice on teacher's salaries, school funding and the "best" school for my son. In additon I'm not sure which areas are best for me to reside. I was told to look into the Fort Mill or Rock Hill areas. One more thing my son is learning french and I would love to continue that, are there any schools that teach foreign languages in NC? Can anyone give me any advice? I greatly appreciate your feedback.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:09 PM

525 posts, read 1,796,541 times
Md is getting crazy in price.
Have you looked into the outsides of Meck? Even Union county? Parts of Mecklenburg/Charlotte are very nice but the taxes are lower outside generally and the public schools are more stable (as stable as they can be with all the growth!). I thought according to the website CMS schools were good and then I got forewarned by everyone to NOT move into Meck. They do have some good magnet programs but they are just from what I understand (someone jump ina nd correct me) going back to neighborhood schools and they have a new superintendent. So hopefully they get back on better land soon. Check out some of the other threads. It is a nice area though, things are close by, Carowinds, Discovery Place ( a year family membership is 75.00 but they have some neat stuff for kids and new exhibits going on every so often), restaurants, shopping, 2 hours from the mountains, 3 from the beach, the Cabarrus County Fair was also fun (the kids got to milk a COW! that was in September and various other things that go on too.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:18 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,141,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse67 View Post
Hello,

I'm an african american single mother of one. My son is 5 years old and I intend to relocate to the Charlotte area summer of 08. I currently reside in MD and with the rising cost of homes I can not afford a sinle family home in the MD aea. I am an Early Childhood Educator and I am looking for advice on teacher's salaries, school funding and the "best" school for my son. In additon I'm not sure which areas are best for me to reside. I was told to look into the Fort Mill or Rock Hill areas. One more thing my son is learning french and I would love to continue that, are there any schools that teach foreign languages in NC? Can anyone give me any advice? I greatly appreciate your feedback.
Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools (CMS) have magnet programs. Here is the link for the foreign language magnets:

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/programs/magnet/magnet.asp?PK_Category=10 (broken link)

There should be a general description of the magnet program on the CMS site: http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/ then click on "magnet programs" on the right hand side.

Best of luck to you

Old 12-20-2007, 08:34 AM

28 posts, read 82,369 times
Default Relcation to Charlotte

I am a lifetime resident of Charlotte and I can't say enough about living here! I live in Mint Hill just outside the outer belt. Decent sized home on almost an acre and surrounded by woods. Wide streets, mature trees, beautiful place for my daughter to play.

School placement is important. The best public high schools are Myers Park, South Meck, Harding (up and coming), Providence, and Butler. I am also partial to Independence because I graduated from (and taught) there.

A good guide to the area can be found at http://www.charlottesights.com.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 AM

3 posts, read 8,936 times
Well,
hte school district in whole is not the best, however if you chose the right area to live your kids will be assigned to some of the best schools in the state. We have some Blue Ribbon Schools in Charlotte.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,431 times
HI I am looking to move from Cincinnati to Charlotte or Raleigh. Which is best? I am a accountant and my hubby is into graphic design. I am also looking for a good school for my kids and decent neighborhood/family oriented. Any suggestions?? How is the jog search in Charlotte and Raleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte