Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:11 AM

3 posts, read 3,624 times

Advertisements

So a little background before I punch my story in the gut to you locals. I'm a young professional in interactive media here in my beloved city of Pittsburgh, PA (born and raised). Love this city with all my heart, but I think it's time I broaden my horizons.

I currently have the opportunity to move to the area of Charlotte, and (to tell you the truth) a little hesitant with what I found researching on the internet. I pretty much found everything from "OMG Charlotte, bff..." to "WTF Charlotte, someone just broke into my car...". My biggest concerns of course are crime in the area and overall general take on the city. Plus best places to live (150-200k) and how good the schools are in the area. (Asking about schools not because I have kids, but my soon to be wife would be looking into that field for work) Not to mention from what I see ALOT of people that live in Charlotte have been in my shoes. So I would greatly appreciate any input from transplants to locals alike.

Thanks in advanced,

-Ctrl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 07:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctrl View Post
So a little background before I punch my story in the gut to you locals. I'm a young professional in interactive media here in my beloved city of Pittsburgh, PA (born and raised). Love this city with all my heart, but I think it's time I broaden my horizons.

I currently have the opportunity to move to the area of Charlotte, and (to tell you the truth) a little hesitant with what I found researching on the internet. I pretty much found everything from "OMG Charlotte, bff..." to "WTF Charlotte, someone just broke into my car...". My biggest concerns of course are crime in the area and overall general take on the city. Plus best places to live (150-200k) and how good the schools are in the area. (Asking about schools not because I have kids, but my soon to be wife would be looking into that field for work) Not to mention from what I see ALOT of people that live in Charlotte have been in my shoes. So I would greatly appreciate any input from transplants to locals alike.

Thanks in advanced,

-Ctrl
Which part of the city is the job in, or is it near Charlotte?

Are you wanting to live in the city or outside. How far are you willing to commute?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Work is located in town, and I'm willing to commute up to a one hour away. All depends on the neighborhood / house / etc.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Work is located in town, and I'm willing to commute up to a one hour away. All depends on the neighborhood / house / etc.

What's your price range? Do you want urban, suburban, rural, or something in between? By in the city, do you mean Uptown (The downtown area)?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
By "in town" do you mean in UPTOWN Charlotte's business district, or just somewhere in the Charlotte city limits???

We basically need more info in order to help you. How much do you want to spend? What kind of places appeal to you? Do you want to be in suburbia or would you like to live in an more urban setting??

Old 09-23-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What's your price range? Do you want urban, suburban, rural, or something in between? Are schools a factor?

HAHAHAHA - great minds think alike

Old 09-23-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
HAHAHAHA - great minds think alike
LOL, I forgot to reread the 1st post, so edited out the school question. My response ended up almost exactly like yours.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
(150-200k)
But id gladly take something for 100k. I would be working near the football stadium, so I'm guessing that's "uptown?" I like neighborhoods / houses with character, anything Victorian, craftsman, modern, (im taking this pretty much sums up the whole market place) but mostly a safe place to live. Anything but rural, just not my thing. As mentioned before I keep hearing about crime but I don't know what to think of it.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
But id gladly take something for 100k. I would be working near the football stadium, so I'm guessing that's "uptown?" I like neighborhoods / houses with character, anything Victorian, craftsman, modern, (im taking this pretty much sums up the whole market place) but mostly a safe place to live. Anything but rural, just not my thing. As mentioned before I keep hearing about crime but I don't know what to think of it.

Hmmmm....last time I checked crime in Charlotte was about on par with crime in Pittsburgh, so I think that's a wash. The biggest problem with crime Charlotte has is in the form of larceny, burglary and theft (property crimes), not violent crime.

Yes, Panthers Stadium is "uptown". But $100,000 will not buy you much of a home in any area you'd really want to live in, so plan on buying a condo or townhome, okay?

Old 09-23-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
But id gladly take something for 100k. I would be working near the football stadium, so I'm guessing that's "uptown?" I like neighborhoods / houses with character, anything Victorian, craftsman, modern, (im taking this pretty much sums up the whole market place) but mostly a safe place to live. As mentioned before I keep hearing about crime but I don't know what to think of it.
I'd suggest that you look at Belmont, Cramerton, south or east Gastonia or Kings Mountain(in the City). Your fiancee clould apply to the Gaston County schools or Cleveland County or Lincoln County schools (districts go by county) in NC & York County & Cherokee County in SC.

You'll get the cheapest prices in Kings Mountain, because it's the furthest out, but within your time frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte