Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:07 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,368,284 times

Advertisements

So on another forum it was brought to my attention that Waxhaw has moved Halloween from Sunday Oct 31 to Saturday Oct 30th. Some are interpreting it as they do not want to celebrate a "demonic" holiday on God's sabbath day,. and some believe it's because it falls on a night before a school day. I wasn't sure where I was taking my daughter trick or treating because we have no neighbors. Does anyone know of a place in Union county that does trick or treating? A mall, a grocery store, a church?? My fiance, with his sweet tooth suggested we trick or treat in Waxhaw on Saturday and Charlotte on Sunday. Any areas in south Charlotte that you can suggest? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 12:36 PM

540 posts, read 1,705,726 times
if ANYONE comes knocking on my door Saturday for candy, when halloween is sunday, will get not just nothing, but a whole lot of harassment! stop moving holidays around already..if it's on sunday, it's on sunday! get over it!

Old 09-24-2010, 12:42 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestem View Post
if ANYONE comes knocking on my door Saturday for candy, when halloween is sunday, will get not just nothing, but a whole lot of harassment! stop moving holidays around already..if it's on sunday, it's on sunday! get over it!
LOL! I've gotten fired up about the old demonic holiday debate in the past (I'm on Halloween's side), but I'm staying out of it this year, while secretly hoping to witness some fireworks b/c it falls on a Sunday. Nobody will get anything from me on Saturday either.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:02 PM

123 posts, read 328,555 times
There is going to be a Town Hall meeting on Tuesday at 6:30 that will include this issue. The meeting will be held at the Museum of the Waxhaws and it is open to the general public. The proposed date change is only for Waxhaw Town Proper and not for residential areas. Wouldn't it be funny if folks showed up at the meeting in costume!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:35 PM

LOL!! You guys crack me up. I was astounded at this. And did not realize it wasnt for residential as well. BUT in the meantime. I still need an answer to my questions. I live in 19 acres, no neighbors. Where can I take my daughter? Even a neighborhood I can just park in and walk around for a little while?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:40 PM

831 posts, read 1,964,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
LOL! I've gotten fired up about the old demonic holiday debate in the past (I'm on Halloween's side), but I'm staying out of it this year, while secretly hoping to witness some fireworks b/c it falls on a Sunday. Nobody will get anything from me on Saturday either.
This happened to us the first year we lived in NC - about 6 weeks after we moved here it was Halloween on a Sunday. Some crazy broad in a minivan brought her poor kid around by himself, dressed in his Halloween costume, on Saturday afternoon. We had heard the hullabaloo on the radio/ local news in this podunk town and thought it was a joke about changing the date.

My husband answered the door and this poor kid was prepared with a speech - "I'm trick or treating today because my mom says Sundays are the Lord's day and not to be celebrating the devil's holiday." My husband told him to get his mom and bring her to our door...I said to myself rut-roh...she's gonna geeet it, she's gonna geeet it....

She wouldn't get out of the car. He told the kid to tell his mother to pick up a calendar and stop being such a wacko.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Actually, about 1/2 of the towns in South Jersey do the same. I always knew that I would get overrun by trick or treaters when Halloween fell on a Sunday, because my town never moved it.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM

540 posts, read 1,705,726 times
for the record, celebrating the 4th of july, on the 3rd of july was stupid too! and, if I were OP, i'd just find a neighborhood and trick or treat there...if anyone has a problem with that, their just grumpy ol scrooges...this is for the kids!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DogNight View Post
This happened to us the first year we lived in NC - about 6 weeks after we moved here it was Halloween on a Sunday. Some crazy broad in a minivan brought her poor kid around by himself, dressed in his Halloween costume, on Saturday afternoon. We had heard the hullabaloo on the radio/ local news in this podunk town and thought it was a joke about changing the date.

My husband answered the door and this poor kid was prepared with a speech - "I'm trick or treating today because my mom says Sundays are the Lord's day and not to be celebrating the devil's holiday." My husband told him to get his mom and bring her to our door...I said to myself rut-roh...she's gonna geeet it, she's gonna geeet it....

She wouldn't get out of the car. He told the kid to tell his mother to pick up a calendar and stop being such a wacko.
OK, with all due respect. IF a town announced it, and everyone was somewhat under the impression it was changed, shouldnt the poor kids get to celebrate Halloween? Isnt that really the point? Since they truly cant decipher between Saturday and Sunday ANYWAYS??? I would have at least given the poor boy some candy, then told his mom to stop being a wacky and that he should remember not to do this to his kids.
On another note, can anyone recommend where I go???

Old 09-24-2010, 02:39 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,132,698 times
Sorry LilShorty, we are getting a little OT, aren't we? I don't know exactly which neighborhoods you are near, but you could just pick a nearby community and trick or treat there. When I was a kid we would try to make it around our neighborhood as fast as we could, and if trick or treat was still going on, we would get someone's mom to drive us over to the neighboring suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte