Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 08:29 AM

529 posts, read 1,197,497 times

Advertisements

Huge news today: LUV acquiring Airtran!
Southwest Expands Presence With AirTran Buy - ABC News

Not good for USAirways
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 09:13 AM

45 posts, read 115,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
Huge news today: LUV acquiring Airtran!
Southwest Expands Presence With AirTran Buy - ABC News

Not good for USAirways
Why is this not good for USAir? Neither Southwest or AirTran fly to many of the places USAir does. I know USAir had a bad reputation (well deserved) for a long time, but in the past year and a half they've really turned it around.

I fly over 100 flights a year, mostly on USAir. Occasionally I have to fly on other airlines. In my opinion USAir is equal, if not better than any of the major airlines.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:59 AM

529 posts, read 1,197,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooneRT View Post
Why is this not good for USAir? Neither Southwest or AirTran fly to many of the places USAir does. I know USAir had a bad reputation (well deserved) for a long time, but in the past year and a half they've really turned it around.
Nothing against USAir--I fly it frequently myself, although my clients sometimes prefer I take a connection thru ATL for cheaper fares.

AirTran does not currently compete with US out of CLT on many routes, but if Southwest were to take over those gates, then the situation may change and exert pricing pressure on US.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 AM

624 posts, read 2,102,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsmobile View Post
AirTran does not currently compete with US out of CLT on many routes, but if Southwest were to take over those gates, then the situation may change and exert pricing pressure on US.
Well not really, you're just trading Air Tran for Southwest, the total supply of flights is staying the same. We'll get the additional destinations that SW offers that Air Tran may not currently service, but overall mergers aren't good for passengers. If anything, when airline's consolidate, pricing only goes up.

Like the United / Continental merger, this is good for the stockholders, but passengers, pilots, FAs and everyone else will get the short end of the stick.

I fly almost exclusively US Air, but if the merger brings SW to CLT than OK. One more option, but with my current travel schedule it won't affect me.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM

265 posts, read 328,721 times
Oh wow. I know Delta in Atlanta is having a fit over this.

I also wonder how this acquisition would affect Southwest's recent entry into two other Carolina markets, Greenville and Charleston.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:46 PM

539 posts, read 1,493,588 times
Would be nice to have a direct flight from Charlotte to Islip, NY.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 AM

128 posts, read 271,280 times
I think Southwest buying Airtran and entering all these markets will definitely take some of the appeal away from Gville and Charleston had they not bought them. It will be interesting to see what they do. I don't anticipate SW to add a whole lot of new destinations from CLT. Maybe something like Vegas or Phoenix which are more leisure destinations than business ones, even though they are connecting airports for USA. They may just assume the Atlanta, Orlando and BWI flights too.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:21 PM

19 posts, read 30,444 times
Default Is LUV really coming to Charlotte?

I wonder if anyone has any infomation on this now (besides just speculation)? I lived for a long time in a community that was served by Southwest and I really enjoy that airline.

I have not had any service issues with USAir but paying such high fees for baggage just rubs me the worng way. I suppose I am spoiled by LUV's competent service with lower costs.

Aitran only had a few gates here so other than changing the routes, I don't actually see how they can add more flights (just differnt routes) if the number of gates remain the same.

The other question I have is just because SW bought Airtran, is it axiomatic that they will serve Charlotte?

Old 01-31-2011, 07:10 PM

575 posts, read 1,511,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac5u View Post
I wonder if anyone has any infomation on this now (besides just speculation)? I lived for a long time in a community that was served by Southwest and I really enjoy that airline.

I have not had any service issues with USAir but paying such high fees for baggage just rubs me the worng way. I suppose I am spoiled by LUV's competent service with lower costs.

Aitran only had a few gates here so other than changing the routes, I don't actually see how they can add more flights (just differnt routes) if the number of gates remain the same.

The other question I have is just because SW bought Airtran, is it axiomatic that they will serve Charlotte?
Remember reading somewhere that SWA service in Charlotte will not begin until 2012. No further.

Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,672,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac5u View Post

AirTran currently has only 5 departures per day (2 to BWI, 2 to ATL and one to MCO); they also have five arrivals per day from those same three airports. SWA will not be able to simply add more flights automatically and will likely be limited to roughly the same number of flights per day, although the airports served to and from CLT may change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte