U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 12:29 PM

21,850 posts, read 27,118,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schluh View Post
Just to clarify. The grass was not watered during the drought. We are from Texas and understand conserving water and drought restrictions. This is why the yard died. It is fescue so doesn't go dormant like burmuda grass which we have had at our last two homes. We started watering when the drought was over (by the way there were never any water restrictions in our area) and these are our first bills. We are not on a well like a lot of people seem to have. Everyone else in our subdivision did water during the drought but now they have a yard that isn't a mud pit.
Rye & fescue will sometimes go dormant in the summer. It looks dead, then pops back to life when the temperatures drop & the rains come. Bermuda grass goes dormant in the winter. This might help. Fall Lawn Care
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,302,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Watering every day in a drought... they should charge you twice that for ignorance of the environment and your surroundings.
Ummmmm....we're not in a drought. Just sayin....

Old 09-27-2010, 02:44 PM

8 posts, read 12,275 times
We were just concerned since our electric bill for ac wasn't bad and we had a hot summer and have no shade for our home. Well hopefully our grass will grow quick and we can go to twice a week like our neighbors. Fingers crossed about heating it. At least if we beep the heat set to 68* it won't cause damage we have to go back and fix like lack of water did. Wish we had burmuda!!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 12,275 times
Thank you for all the HELPful replies. Never lived anywhere that charges you more if you use more of anything. I will double check for a leak and most importantly not let our yard get to this point again. Also glad it is finally cooler here. We moved from south Texas and it was hotter in Charlotte some days! But we do love it here so much.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:51 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,913,227 times
As others have said, watering every day will use a lot of water and will push you into a very high rate, so $300 per month or higher is easily attainable. I thought our water bill was way too high last year but I watched the water meter as our watering system was on, and I did the math to calculate how much water was being used during each watering cycle, and I figured out - unfortunately, our billing was correct.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM

21,850 posts, read 27,118,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schluh View Post
Thank you for all the HELPful replies. Never lived anywhere that charges you more if you use more of anything. I will double check for a leak and most importantly not let our yard get to this point again. Also glad it is finally cooler here. We moved from south Texas and it was hotter in Charlotte some days! But we do love it here so much.
You didn't say, but did you rip up the lawn & seed or did you just put out seed? Did you seed fescue or Bermuda? If you seeded fescue, you seeded too early.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

6 posts, read 6,833 times
If you think there is a chance that the bill is an error, call 311 and get it checked. When we moved into our house we thought the bill was high so we called because we wanted to know if this is what we were in for every month. They sent someone out to the house and discovered that our meter was misread. We had already paid our bill so they credited our account and we haven't had to pay for the last 2 billing cycles! They were REALLY off with their reading!!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 AM

308 posts, read 529,364 times
Have that meter checked or have the city/county look for a leak. My bill is 30-40 a month for an average size house. What you are paying is not normal unless you are filling a swimming pool every week.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:38 AM

811 posts, read 1,646,023 times
We water 3x a week with our irrigation but our irrigation is on a separate meter so we don't pay sewer on it...check and see if yours is getting charged like normal household water or sep. It cost us almost 1K to put in the sep. meter but LONG term it is worth it. I live in Catawba County and we water 3x a week for about an hour total, 4 people and all the water apps that go along with them--front loader washer and energy star apps all 5 yrs old or less. I don't think our bill goes over $100.

We can also have our meter turned off in the winter when we winterize the irrigation and we save the monthly fee minimum. Just have to notify the city.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 AM

811 posts, read 1,646,023 times
Also wanted to say you should go by John Deere Landscapes/Lesco in your area. They have some grass treatment that helps HOLD the water in the soil so you don't have to water as often. I found out about it the other week and plan to use it next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or