U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-03-2010, 08:13 AM

150 posts, read 233,247 times
Default Cannon vs Davidson Day

I am thinking of enrolling my daughter in either Cannon or Davidson Day next year.

I would like to hear from parents and students who have had positive and negative experiences at these schools.
To the parents - Do you think these schools have given your child the necessary preparation and edge to get into any Ivy League school? Was it worth the money?
To the students did you like your experience and why/why not?

Id also like to hear from parents who have their children in charter and traditional schools - how well do you think your child is being prepared for higher education.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 04:35 PM

3,756 posts, read 5,746,268 times
I know a couple of parents who have their children at Davidson Day and are happy. I hear that Cannon is an excellent school, but they pretty much decide if they want you, not the other way around. I would suggest going to tour the school - something we will be doing this week at other schools. Best of luck. I know some children in charter schools right now doing some amazing things. It all depends on the structure of the school and how they teach. Many of them are hands on. At one particular school they have the children building a grandfather clock out of construction paper and they are teaching them how clocks are made in addition to telling the time. The main thing I hear about charters is that many of them in addition to learning from a textbook, they are doing things that are hands on.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:24 PM

299 posts, read 318,461 times
We have friends with kids in Davidson and they LOVE it. Cannon is cheaper, but I think they're both great schools.
Are you going to the tours?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:36 PM

417 posts, read 619,415 times
BOth are good schools. Go for the one that is a better/best fit for your child. Let them visit and get a feel. Make the choice yourself, but do consider their feelings.
Also, if they are elem. or middle I would consider St. Mark in Huntersville. If they are going into high school and you are up for 'building' the feel of a school, Christ the King is a Catholic high school hoping to open in the fall of 2011.

Finally, take a look at Lake Norman Charter and Davidson Community School. We had experience with both. They are VERY different schools. We did not care for Lake Norman because it taught too much to standardized tests for us and lacked diversity (or racial and ethnic groups and of types of kids in general). Our kids are hard workers and the work level was fine, but the school itself was not a fit for them. BUT it is a very good school if you want that type of school.

You have a lot of great options up in the area you are looking in...private and charter.

Taben

Old 10-04-2010, 06:09 AM

509 posts, read 1,229,411 times
Just remember to have a back-up option if you decide one of the charters is your first choice. The lotteries are VERY competitive and it is more likely that your child with not get in. If you don't have a back-up, you'll be scrambling.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:47 PM

35 posts, read 36,593 times
I have two children enrolled in Cannon and we're very pleased. We moved to the area last year and our children were enrolled in a nationally known school in our previous town. I was a little worried about the transition, but it has been smooth. The academics at Cannon seem to be on par (most classes) or better than (science) our previous school. The facilities are good, but the theater is disappointing compared to the one we left.

My children came to Cannon with advanced skills and that is what their classmates have as well. That is what I expect when I pay for a private school.

What did surprise me was the general tone of the place--everyone there is friendly and seems happy to be there--lots of smiling faces and hellos when you walk around the school. My kids were invited to birthday parties over the summer before anyone had even met them and since the start of school they've had all kinds of social invitations. I thought it would be harder to break into the community and I'm really pleased to find it is not so.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,279 times
You can also check out Corvian Community School. It is modeled on Community School of Davidson and has just started this year - they have one kindergarten class and one first grade class. My son goes to first grade and loves it. There is room in both classes right now. They hired one of the teachers from CSD to be an educational consultant and we are thrilled. They are in Huntersville, NC.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,464 times
Lower school I would choose Davidson Day and middle school and upper school cannon. Why? In order to boost enrollment at this young school the administration came up with an idea - fill slots with entire basketball and football teams from charlotte. These kids were not from educated families, not tuition payers, and not brought up to respect. Davidson Day School essentially regraded these kids and was left now with a school filled with thugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte