U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:27 PM

197 posts, read 426,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
What backwards thinking are you talking about? Charlotte’s 28205 ZIP code had more same-sex couples than any other ZIP code statewide. We are perfectly gay friendly compared to other cities.

In New York, 2 people were beaten up for being Gay and made it on national news.

And I rather you not make an assumption about 95% of people from Charlotte. We are perfectly fine and nice people and people here are very tolerable. We are not backwards thinking...
No idea what the guy was going off on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 07:55 PM

634 posts, read 1,206,092 times
Didn't you say you don't want it all over your tv and paper?!?!.....what was that suppose to mean

Old 10-11-2010, 09:24 AM

197 posts, read 426,182 times

No use arguing with you.

I just feel any kind of sexuality should be kept personal. Thats all.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:04 AM

3,736 posts, read 3,260,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Didn't you say you don't want it all over your tv and paper?!?!.....what was that suppose to mean

Who wants anything all over their TV and paper?

I'm personally sick and tired of reading about which way the wind blows Obama's farts. I don't care what kind of beer he drinks, how fat Michelle is, about attending his kids parent-teacher-conferences, etc. etc.

Edit: I hate to resurrect an old thread. I thought it was recent as I just got an email saying there was a new reply. Sorry.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:02 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,592,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Just because someone isn't going to be accepted by everyone doesn't mean they've got a free pass to kill themselves. Suicide is still one of the most cowardly things a person can do. rather then trying to seek help for whatever mental issue you've got, they decide to just kill themselves, and leave everyone around them grasping for straws. While I have no issues with people sexual orientations, gay pride parades aren't going to make anyone any less likely to kill themselves.
That's great advice until you consider the fact that many people think homosexuality is a mental illness. The "therapy" many people try to "prescribe" is to get you "fixed." That's not real help. I would totally back up what you were saying, but the saddest thing about homophobia is that when gay and bi teens and young adults seek help--they are met with "you are sick and need to change." That doesn't feel good to hear at all. If anything, it would just make an already suicidal teen feel even more suicidal.

I'm just so lucky to have been raised in a supportive environment before moving here so I could at least respect myself enough not to listen to the homophobic BS most people spout here.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,592,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post
What backwards thinking are you talking about? Charlotte’s 28205 ZIP code had more same-sex couples than any other ZIP code statewide. We are perfectly gay friendly compared to other cities.

In New York, 2 people were beaten up for being Gay and made it on national news.

And I rather you not make an assumption about 95% of people from Charlotte. We are perfectly fine and nice people and people here are very tolerable. We are not backwards thinking...
Really? I'm in the Charlotte area and I'm gay and I do not feel comfortable being out based on the reactions I've gotten from people. Is it within a special circle of people? I'd love to meet some gay-friendly folks so I can finally stop having to refer to my wife as my sister.

Old 10-26-2010, 06:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_QueenBee View Post
Happen to take some relatives who were visiting to NC Music Factory for drinks at Wet Willies and ran across the Gay Pride event. We had fun and enjoyed the event, no matter what our preferences were. What I found puzzling was today, that the Charlotte Observer did not make any mention of this event. We came upon the last hour of the event and I welcomed differences, especially with a daughter who considers herself bi. People are just people--spread the love!

In the last weeks, we have lost 5 teens (young adults) to suicide. I loved seeing the young ones embraced by the older adults who went through every anxiety they are experiencing. Just was wondering why our paper did not make a mere mention of the event....Not looking for negatives comments, keep them to yourself.

Ahem! ^^ Thread topic ^^

Let's stay on it, please. (And be nice.)
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 10-26-2010, 07:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,270,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Really? I'm in the Charlotte area and I'm gay and I do not feel comfortable being out based on the reactions I've gotten from people. Is it within a special circle of people? I'd love to meet some gay-friendly folks so I can finally stop having to refer to my wife as my sister.
If you're treating your wife as though she was your sister in public, then how do these people know you're gay? Are you sure that's what they're reacting to? What specific behavior is causing these people to react negatively, so much so that you're uncomfortable?

It's unfortunate that people outside of the mainstream get more attention than they may like. But it's human nature to notice things that stand out, for reasons good or bad, from their surroundings. That will never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or