Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 PM

69 posts, read 181,591 times

Advertisements

I'm really glad to hear that the protesters didn't overwhelm it as they have in the past. Still after reading some of the comments I think Durham is way ahead of Charlotte on this subject. The NC pride parade in Durham is so wholesome and the protesters are so few. All the businesses put up rainbow flags and welcome the event. A lot of the churches in Durham have their own floats in the parade. Many young straight kids march in the parade. It is more like a mardi gras festival. Why do so many in Charlotte feel the need to rain on it?

Last edited by viajero8; 10-07-2010 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 11:24 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,351,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero8 View Post
I'm really glad to hear that the protesters didn't overwhelm it as they have in the past. Still after reading some of the comments I think Durham is way ahead of Charlotte on this subject. The NC pride parade in Durham is so wholesome and the protesters are so few. All the businesses put up rainbow flags and welcome the event. A lot of the churches in Durham have their own floats in the parade. Many young straight kids march in the parade. It is more like a mardi gras festival. Why do so many in Charlotte feel the need to rain on it?
Bill James.
This short answer , when Googled , will provide sufficient information.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:48 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Wow. For all the talk on C-D about how big and progressive Charlotte is, it's surprising to hear that you actually have organized protesters show up at Gay Pride? And the local media mostly ignores it? Here in Savannah, where Gay Pride Weekend was Sept. 11, it was a featured event in the weekend DO section, and photos and a writeup made the front page of the Sunday paper. Atlanta Gay Pride is this coming weekend, and the Sunday parade down Peachtree Street traditionally draws between 350,000-500,000 people. In fact, Gay Pride is the LARGEST annual event in Atlanta, which of course has the 3rd or 4th largest gay population in the nation, depending on who you ask. Kinda hard to ignore the gay thing in the ATL. This is one area in which Charlotte and Atlanta appear to still be light years apart.

The Atlanta Pride Committee, Inc.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:54 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
Have all the Gay Day's you want, as long as that guy with the leather vest, chaps, and thong stays home. How that outfit is going to promote anything positive, well I just don't know.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:09 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Wow. For all the talk on C-D about how big and progressive Charlotte is, it's surprising to hear that you actually have organized protesters show up at Gay Pride?
I went Saturday morning to support some friends who performed (gay and straight) there were 5 protesters compared to the 1000+ attendees I saw. Unfortunately our local media does a poor job covering the many festivals and events here. The Pride Charlotte (that is the correct name) event was no exception.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:10 PM

308 posts, read 617,657 times
It seems to me that nobody is bothered with the gay situation in Charlotte. That is probably good. People look at gays as they do everyone else. Unfortunately, that could mean that support for them as a special group could be seen as maybe unnecessary. There will always be protestors for everything in life. As long as everyone is treated descently and not descriminated against without just cause, there really isn't a problem. I am surprised that there aren't enough gay business owners in Charlotte that are involved in city affairs that can't promote festivities, etc. on their own. This is the Queen City isn't it? I noticed that gays are being murdered and beaten in other cities, ie. NYC. I suppose we can all say that Charlotte is safe if nothing else. Best of luck my gay friends in your endeavours.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomerfromuk View Post
It seems to me that nobody is bothered with the gay situation in Charlotte. That is probably good. People look at gays as they do everyone else. Unfortunately, that could mean that support for them as a special group could be seen as maybe unnecessary

I don't have a problem with the gay situation in Charlotte. It's perfectly fine with me other than gay marriage which is a national issue.

I don't attend the gay prides. It never seemed interesting to me. The only reason I would go is to support a home town event.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:45 PM

197 posts, read 479,408 times
I don't have any issues with the homosexuals seeing that my sister is one of them. I however won't like it blasted all over my T.V. and paper. It should be personal and lot less public.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSaunders View Post
I don't have any issues with the homosexuals seeing that my sister is one of them. I however won't like it blasted all over my T.V. and paper. It should be personal and lot less public.
So you would rather hear about people being murdered and raped and moms killing their kids and people being robbed then read about people who have for decades been oppressed and are finally able to celebrate who they are freely during an annual event???? SMH....Unfortunately 95% of your fellow Charlotteans (SP?) feel the same way......So if Charlotte had a St. Patrick's Day parade you wouldn't want to read that either would you? Or a LATINO FEST.....yeah people living and being who they are is PERSONAL......

Wow....isn't this 2010 not 1960?? I am not a homosexual but have many friends and family who are....and this backwards thinking is why people (gay and straight) don't like it HERE!!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,391,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
So you would rather hear about people being murdered and raped and moms killing their kids and people being robbed then read about people who have for decades been oppressed and are finally able to celebrate who they are freely during an annual event???? SMH....Unfortunately 95% of your fellow Charlotteans (SP?) feel the same way......So if Charlotte had a St. Patrick's Day parade you wouldn't want to read that either would you? Or a LATINO FEST.....yeah people living and being who they are is PERSONAL......

Wow....isn't this 2010 not 1960?? I am not a homosexual but have many friends and family who are....and this backwards thinking is why people (gay and straight) don't like it HERE!!!!

What backwards thinking are you talking about? Charlotte’s 28205 ZIP code had more same-sex couples than any other ZIP code statewide. We are perfectly gay friendly compared to other cities.

In New York, 2 people were beaten up for being Gay and made it on national news.

And I rather you not make an assumption about 95% of people from Charlotte. We are perfectly fine and nice people and people here are very tolerable. We are not backwards thinking...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte