U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-04-2010, 06:10 AM

40 posts, read 37,212 times
Default Public elementary schools

Hi, we r planning to relocate to Charlotte. Our son will be 6 end of Oct. The cut off dates at public schools? There are any tests has to be done before enrolling to First grade? i would really appreciate if someone gives me links to best elementary schools there(does not matter district,etc). Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,258,199 times
You son will be able to register for Kindergarten. He is before the cut-off for first grade. Not sure how to get them in early I imagine your child would have to undergo testing at your expense. The best schools are generally in the southern part of the county: Elizabeth Lane, Hawk Ridge, Providence Springs, Elon Park, etc. Check the CMS website under schools and performance for reports on each school. There are also some magnet schools for which you have to apply by mid December. I'll let others address the surrounding counties.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 AM

I forgot
cms.k12.nc.us

Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I forgot
cms.k12.nc.us
thanks a lot

Old 10-04-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
You son will be able to register for Kindergarten. He is before the cut-off for first grade. Not sure how to get them in early I imagine your child would have to undergo testing at your expense. The best schools are generally in the southern part of the county: Elizabeth Lane, Hawk Ridge, Providence Springs, Elon Park, etc. Check the CMS website under schools and performance for reports on each school. There are also some magnet schools for which you have to apply by mid December. I'll let others address the surrounding counties.
So, what is the cut-off date pls?!

Old 10-04-2010, 04:46 PM

To be honest I do not know for 1rst grade if they've already attended Kindergarten somewhere else. For K it is:
Age requirements
In compliance with North Carolina law students must be 5 years of age on or before August 31st to be considered for Kindergarten. Students applying for the Montessori schools Pre-K program must be 4 years of age on or before August 31st in order to be considered

Old 10-05-2010, 07:26 PM

445 posts, read 645,307 times
If you are transferring from another system and your child has completed kindergarten, it is likely that he would be placed in first grade. However, that would ultimately be up to the principal, I believe. But be aware that he would be younger than the other students which is not always a good thing.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:55 PM

46 posts, read 48,799 times
esp for boys. We moved here when my son was in first. Coming from CA with the dubious distinction of the nation's latest cut off dates (Dec) with an April bday he had always been middle of the pack age wise. (Many parents did hold back summer birthdays, again esp. boys) In the private system we were shocked how he was now one of the youngest boys. Most of his friends turned 8 in 1st grade! We kept thinking what happens as they get older and those differences may be more pronounced (puberty, dating, driving) Even though it's not as pronounced in the public system, I wouldn't push for first but let him enjoy kindergarten.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinajean View Post
If you are transferring from another system and your child has completed kindergarten, it is likely that he would be placed in first grade. However, that would ultimately be up to the principal, I believe. But be aware that he would be younger than the other students which is not always a good thing.
Tnanks Carolinajean, Just lookin' - we r completed KG abroad, now attending first grade (abroad), planning to move to Charlotte this year, so wanted to know if my son will be able to enroll to first grade with the records of the previous school? Any tests has to be done or not (to check his skills and abilities)?! And can he enter first grade in the middle of the school year ? thanks u so much any info will be appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte