U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM

57 posts, read 67,831 times

Advertisements

we moved here from Va not long ago and renting a house for a year with the intention of buying somewhere around here. Just don't know what area we will buy in yet. One area to consider is Gastonia and I wanted to get over there sometime next week to look around and such. Are there any areas that are a must see? Stores? Malls?
Oh and I love photography, so any nature trails would be great too

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 12:05 AM

21,814 posts, read 27,073,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by here at last View Post
we moved here from Va not long ago and renting a house for a year with the intention of buying somewhere around here. Just don't know what area we will buy in yet. One area to consider is Gastonia and I wanted to get over there sometime next week to look around and such. Are there any areas that are a must see? Stores? Malls?

Thanks
Will you be needing schools?

Will you be coming from Charlotte?

I live next door in Kings Mountain, so I go to Gastonia for the shopping. There are a couple of hiking trails in Gastonia. You can find them here. Carolina Thread Trail

I enjoy photography (I graduated from Philadelphia College of Art.) & I'm just as interesed in urban photography as nature. There are several places in Gastonia that I would like to take pictures of, before they are changed (urban renewal) I have more than enough nature to photograph in Kings Mountain.

I'll be more than happy to answer your questions, but need to know about your need for schools & where you'll be coming from to answer properly.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Will you be needing schools?

Will you be coming from Charlotte?

I live next door in Kings Mountain, so I go to Gastonia for the shopping. There are a couple of hiking trails in Gastonia. You can find them here. Carolina Thread Trail

I enjoy photography (I graduated from Philadelphia College of Art.) & I'm just as interesed in urban photography as nature. There are several places in Gastonia that I would like to take pictures of, before they are changed (urban renewal) I have more than enough nature to photograph in Kings Mountain.

I'll be more than happy to answer your questions, but need to know about your need for schools & where you'll be coming from to answer properly.
Yes, coming from Charlotte.

We will need a middle school for 1 year, then it's off to HS
Thanks for the hiking trail info.

Need to stay kinda close to the airport since my husband travels a lot for work. I don't work, so that's not a problem for me.
My hobbies are quilting, scrapbooking, photography. And I love the hilly/mountain views.

Thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,201,862 times
Quote:

Thanks

Since you like photographing nature you might want to make time to visit the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden on your way in to Gastonia

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden

Old 10-05-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, coming from Charlotte.

We will need a middle school for 1 year, then it's off to HS
Thanks for the hiking trail info.

Need to stay kinda close to the airport since my husband travels a lot for work. I don't work, so that's not a problem for me.
My hobbies are quilting, scrapbooking, photography. And I love the hilly/mountain views.

Thanks
You're welcome.

The best place for you to look is the south & east areas of Gastonia. Here's some roads to use as rough parameters.Union Road, Garrison, New Hope, Hudson, Robinwood, & Redbud. You want to be in the area that feeds to Forestview High School. 2 of the 3 elementary schools that feed Forestview are Bess & Robinson. I can't think of the 3rd right now, but since it's in the middle, it doesn't matter much. There is a middle school, Grier, on Garrison. The general rule of thumb is, if the neighborhood will eventually feed to Huss High School, avoid it.

Overall, north of Hudson there are some nice apartments on Union, but not many houses. Don't look north of Garrison until you get in the vicinity of Grier. You can identify the area on sight. The library is also on Garrison, as is the Schiele Museum.

Forestview is fine. Are you looking for a high performance High School?

On to shopping. . .

There is a nice mall on New Hope Road, just north of Franklin. It is Westfield Eastridge Mall. There is a lot of shopping on East Franklin, from just east of Exit 21 of I 85 (Cox Road) to the border with Lowell. You can find almost anything that you want in Gastonia. You might have to go to South Charlotte occasionally for something.

Restaurants. . .

The LaVecchias are turning the old Webb Theater, downtown, into an upscale restaurant. New steak house has plans for themed Gastonia restaurant | restaurant, gastonia, steak - Local News - Gaston Gazette They have 2, (Old Stone Steakhouse Old Stone Steakhouse & Jax Backstreet Tavern JAX Backstreet Tavern ) in Belmont & will be duplicating those 2 restaurants in Kings Mountain. There's a nice restaurant in Cramerton. Center Street Tavern & Restaurant Cramerton NC, Local Restaurants Gastonia N.C., find a Restaurant Belmont North Carolina, Fine Dining Gaston County NC The owner of that restaurant is also going into Kings Mountain. It's not known, yet, if the name will duplicate as well.

There are also many nice local restaurants in & near Gastonia. One of those is The Captain's Cap. I'd suggest that, if you decide on Gastonia, you start a thread asking about all of the restauants in & near Gastonia. Of course, you can also get to restaurants in Uptown easily.

Grocery stores. . .

There are Food Lions scattered around Gastonia that seem nice enough. There are 2 Harris Teeters in Gastonia &, frankly, I have never gone into a Harris Teeter, because most of their stores west of Charlotte are run down. Aldi is at the corner of Union & Hudson. It's nice. Trader Joe's midtown store in Charlotte is the closest Trader Joe's. Here's the wild card, Ingles. Ingles Markets - Grocery Stores, Supermarkets, Pharmacies There is an Ingles supermarket in Dallas, an old Ingles grocery store in Bessemer City, & a bigger Ingles supermarket in Kings Mountain. If you want to check their sale flyer, click through to North Caolina & then they give you a choice of east or west. Pick east. (They are based in Asheville.) My hairdresser lives in Gastonia & she occasionally goes to Ingles in Kings Mountain. Also, Lowes Foods is in south Gastonia at the intersection of Hoffman & Gaston Day School Roads. There is also a Compare Foods on West Franklin, across from the DMV. It's in an old Winn Dixie store, but it's clean & well kept. They have nice produce.

Last edited by southbound_295; 10-05-2010 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 AM

120 posts, read 190,313 times
Definitely consider Gastonia. From Charlotte get off I-85 at exit 22, go left to Franklin Blvd. which runs parallel to the Interstate. Follow Franklin to new Hope Road (exit 20) and you'll pass virtually any store you can think of.

On the west end of Gastonia is Crowder's Mountain State Park with several trails and even mountain climbing areas available. For a longer hike a trail connects with Kings Mountain National Park a few miles farther west. Just east of Gastonia is the National Whitewater Center for kayaking and rafting along with hiking, biking and ziplines.

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden on South New Hope includes a fabulous orchid conservatory and is an excellent place for photographing flowers.

The east end of Gastonia (exit 22) is very convenient to the airport and there are nice subdivisions nearby with reasonably priced houses available. (Cross Franklin Blvd and go south on Redbud Drive to get to the southeast end of Gastonia.) The nearby small towns of Cramerton, Lowell, Belmont and McAdenville are also worth a look.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather B Cruisin View Post
Definitely consider Gastonia. From Charlotte get off I-85 at exit 22, go left to Franklin Blvd. which runs parallel to the Interstate. Follow Franklin to new Hope Road (exit 20) and you'll pass virtually any store you can think of.

On the west end of Gastonia is Crowder's Mountain State Park with several trails and even mountain climbing areas available. For a longer hike a trail connects with Kings Mountain National Park a few miles farther west. Just east of Gastonia is the National Whitewater Center for kayaking and rafting along with hiking, biking and ziplines.

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden on South New Hope includes a fabulous orchid conservatory and is an excellent place for photographing flowers.

The east end of Gastonia (exit 22) is very convenient to the airport and there are nice subdivisions nearby with reasonably priced houses available. (Cross Franklin Blvd and go south on Redbud Drive to get to the southeast end of Gastonia.) The nearby small towns of Cramerton, Lowell, Belmont and McAdenville are also worth a look.

Are you referiing to Kings Mountain State Park? The Gateway Trail in Kings Mountain, NC will eventually connect the 2 SC locations & Crowders Mountain, but doesn't now. Kings Mountain Gateway Trails > Home

Old 10-05-2010, 10:16 AM

oh my, so much info thank you all. I will make note of the areas to stay away from and areas to look at.
Dumb question...is a high performance school the same as a school with really good test scores/grad percentages?

Is Mary Jo's fabric store still up and operating in Gastonia? I found it on the web last year and was wondering if it's still there.

We want to buy a house with some land, I think about 5 acres max. We have 3 dogs and they need to run, plus other plans to build garage and workshop. Been crammed up next to neighbors all our lives. This house will be our forever home (hopefully). I don't think I can handle another move after this next one, lol. We have until about Spring Break to figure out where we want to live.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
oh my, so much info thank you all. I will make note of the areas to stay away from and areas to look at.
Dumb question...is a high performance school the same as a school with really good test scores/grad percentages?

Is Mary Jo's fabric store still up and operating in Gastonia? I found it on the web last year and was wondering if it's still there.

We want to buy a house with some land, I think about 5 acres max. We have 3 dogs and they need to run, plus other plans to build garage and workshop. Been crammed up next to neighbors all our lives. This house will be our forever home (hopefully). I don't think I can handle another move after this next one, lol. We have until about Spring Break to figure out where we want to live.
You're welcome.

Mary Jo's is open for business. They are at the intersection of Cox Road & Franklin Blvd.

Well. . . on the high school question, there is a high performance high school in Cleveland County. Its testing scores for last year earned it a ranking as an Honors School of Excellence. You must live in Cleveland County to attend.

If you're comfortable with Forestview HS, look in the area south of the area that I mentioned in Gastonia. If you want the high performance school, look in Kings Mountain, just north of 74. You'd have to be careful that you are in Cleveland County. A piece of Kings Mountain is in Gaston County. The advantage there is that Cleveland County taxes are somewhat lower than Gaston County's. It would add maybe 10 - 15 minutes to the commute to the airport. Everything else would remain the same as, for now, there's not much shopping in Kings Mountain, so most people go to Gastonia for most of that.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 PM

2,147 posts, read 3,653,792 times
From my travels to Gastonia for sports matches I've driven through Belmont which seems like a neat little downtown. I must say that mny of the areas I have traveled in Gastonia are run down and depressed, I've been to the Gaston CC and that seemed like a nice area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte